Juggling frogs!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Juggling frogs!

That what it feels like. I'm 35,000 words into my first novel. The plot has three main characters whose lives interweave throughout whilst they have major events happening in their own lives.
Sometimes, for dramatic effect I'd like to write very short chapters. I have read it's best to keep to chapters of a similar length. If I were free of conventions I would write a book of inconsistent pieces which reads best.
It's difficult to continue til this matter is resolved.
I'd so appreciate any thoughts?

To a certain extent it doesn't matter. Chapters, like the number of scenes in a play tend to be around the same length for consistency and cohesion. Short chapters would, I'd guess for most editors, tend to show that a sticking plaster has been applied to something that doesn't sound right...and this will explain...that. But quality trumps all other considerations. I wish you well. Good luck.

Thanks Celticman. I don't quite understand the sticking plaster reference. Plays are usually in 3 Acts but players come and go and change on stage. Farces come to mind and the more convuluted the plot the funnier it is.My novel has almost farcical moments (although on another level they might be seriously upsetting for the characters) Going to take your advice and concentrate on quality! Thanks again :)
Found this totally fascinating. (Would make a good novel!:) ) I have loads of time and determined to get on with it. I've written the essential parts..including the ending (though there's still some research to be done). I use 'ywriter' to be able to access different scenes quickly but now I've cobbled it together as one piece of writing it's got a lot more complicated. The trouble with it has been, it takes place in 2003 from Feb to Aug.There are 3 main stories running throughout and each hinge on the other two. Sounds complicated but actually it's just life. If I start cutting and pasting shorter scenes to make longer chapters it messes with the flow and buggers up some other character's story. Yeah you're right about chapters. I'm going to just write til it's done. Looking forward to the polishing. I write short stories too and love the polishing stage. Good luck with your writing! Do hope you go back to tackling the novel... to come so close to being published is no mean feat.
Above is to you Richard! I thought replies were posted beneath each poster's comments. :)
I find that I like my chapters to have a similar length, like each chapter should be at least however many pages long, but sometimes I go over because I'm still telling some piece of the story. after at least a particular amount of pages, 24, 30, whatever I may pick, then I just look for good stopping places, end of an event or scene, a place where a reader might feel comfortable dog earing and putting it down until the next reading. of course I like to try and make each chapter end so that the reader really wants to read the next chapter too, but that's just me.

Nicholas Schoonbeck

Different strokes for different folks I guess Corma! Personally I love books that defy convention, break rules and surprise me. I'm sure my second novel will be different in every possible way. I do agree about cliff hangers. Best of luck with your work!
I read a lot of Lindsy Davies, Falco stuff. Falco is an ancient Roman detective and the author occasionally writes 3 or 4 word chapters. Don't bother, you write what you want, if an editor/publisher wants something acceptable to you then give it him if he's makes it a conditon of publishing. At the end of one chapter Falco gets into trouble with a woman who hits him. The next chapter is just one word. "Ouch" It takes all sorts!
Yay! Love it Geoffrey, many thanks :)
Do you ever get the feeling we are trying to hard? I mean look at some of the total garbage that is out there. How many books have you read and thought, 'What a load of *@**! I can do better than that! Maybe its my choice of book, which is usually the bottom shelf in the charity shop. Anyway my advice for what its worth. You'll know what length they should be. Keep up the good work. Thank you for being kind. Jan

Thank you for being kind. Jan

Thanks Jan. I think we try so hard because we are driven. My characters' lives, their problems, flaws and virtues haunt me all day long like my own do.I walk the dog laughing at the drunken escapade of one, wash up reliving the funeral of another, live a sexual encouter between two of them whilst I'm cleaning the loo etc I can't imagine what it must be like to finish a novel and let go of one's characters.
hi Richard, Thanks for the sage advice. When I was younger I was really ungrounded and the least thing could spin me out.I think Amy's problems ran deep and what ever she had done she would have had a challenging time. I'm 63 now and I have at least 4 toes on the ground! Tbh I'm not sure the theme of the book will appeal to most people. I'm writing for myself so not really invested in the outcome and I'm already thinking about the next one. It's just that I've got fond of my characters.., their strengths and flaws, Thanks again Rich Mo
Hi there kid. I'm 82 and although I write a lot I can't really 'write'. I belong to a U3A group and there are two old ladies there who really can deliver (stories). I look forward to everything they do. One of them has had a few publications in Women's magazines but not for any sustained period. I have been published, but only for a technical article I wrote for a model magazine. The main thing is to keep trying, do your own thing and if your name is JK Rowling you'll make a fortune.
Hi Geoffrey I'd like to go to a U3A group but it's too far for me to get to. I do go to writing groups which are great because they keep me writing short stories(but keep me away from the novel.) ABCtales is good for feedback too but I don't put my best stuff on in case I want to enter it for a comp and usually they specify that it mustn't have been put on the web. I really am not interested in the fame and fortune. I like living simply. I would like to see it published though as it's about a subject which I feel passionate about. (No proseltysing..just use it as a background.) Good luck with your writing Geoffrey and thanks for posting Mo
Topic locked