Hyper Normalization

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hyper Normalization

Many may be familiar with the documentaries of Adam Curtis such as "Century of The Self" and "The Power Of Nightmares" but I thought his most recent documentary made in 2016, "Hyper Normalization" might be of interest to people because its full of things like Trump, ISIS, Putin and Brexit that are relevant to whats going on in the world right now.

Hyper Normalization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fny99f8amM

(Although I'm not totally convinced about his ideas about individual self-expression because that goes back to the classical world, disappeared in the dark ages and reemerged in the Rennaissance and I just see 20th/21st century individual self-expression as being linked to that tradition. Although he does mention 'cool ironic detachment' which I think is the real reason modern people don't change the world; people laugh at the 'hippy dippy' idea of changing the world; they think its cooler to knock revolutionaries off their pedestals and say 'they changed nothing', lack of belief in anything is trendy and if its cool to think 'revolutions are a joke' how the hell can you have a revolution? In Arab countries they're not all post-modernist ironists and thus The Arab Spring. As someone else posted beneath his video 'Can't believe that he made this documentary without mentioning Baudrillard' )

thanks for the link. I'll watch it later.