Your First Time

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
Your First Time

A music thread with a different angle. What was the very first record you bought? And where did you buy it?

Snaphappy
Anonymous's picture
I remember Mark! I'll prove it - do you remember 'Beaver Patrol' By Pop Will Eat Itself? Gawd they were shite.
Snaphappy
Anonymous's picture
And then there was The Farm, who self imploded rather quickly. I remember the NME when into despair after the whole Madchester thing ended and were seriously running articles on how pop was dead (At one point 'Riot Grrrrl' was the biggest thing in alternative music according to them. I went to see Huggy Bear at The Riverside because I heard the singer sometimes took her top off. She didn't. Gutted.). I think they all had one eye on the dole que. Shame they never made it in my opinion.
purplehaze
Anonymous's picture
I bought Song Sung Blue by Neil Diamond. My nana took me to Woolworths - we had to ask my uncle where you buy records. Then I didn't know what it was called and had to sing it to the lady. I thought I would die. I did the chorus coz that was the only bit I liked. She got it right away thankfully, and I felt very grown up with my record in a bag. I bought sweets as well. and I never go to buy a record without knowing the name of it now. Although there was a band on Jules Holland the other week which I loved and I can't remember for the life of me their name. French or Spanish sounding woman fronting them, really cool. I might have to sing in the megastore afterall... Thank god CDs have pictures nowadays.
Mark Brown
Anonymous's picture
This is the freakiest thing. You dial the number, hold your mobile up to the source of the music and it texts you back the name of the song and the artiste. It is expensive, but is *kind of* useful. No more singing in record shops for you purplehaze!
purplehaze
Anonymous's picture
ha ha, excellent, I love it, thank you :-) sometimes, technology is wonderful I'm the sort of gal who never knows the name of the albulm or the track - I just know, for instance, that Carpet Crawlers is track 10. It's all I play unless I'm daydreaming. CD 1 or CD2, I'm not sure. I'm in retrospective mode... ...and yet, blokes tend to know everything from who played the drums to how long the track runs. What is that about? thanks for the link:-)
radiodenver
Anonymous's picture
1st Record ever.... Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band... 1967, purchased in a record store after a 30 minute wait in line. I was 9 years old. I have bought this album at least 12 times over the years. White album too.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Oygene, Jean Michel Jarre... Woolworths. Think it was 37p. I was robbed.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
I think i bought two lp's Cool for cats by Squeeze Parallel lines by Blondie I know how sad. When i found out Debbie Harry was thirty one after assuming she was eighteen or nineteen i was gutted, she was my Beyonce in the seventies.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Oh my..... I'm not sure exactly, but it was probably Hound Dog by Elvis. I also had a novelty single about the same vintage about the 'little Nash Rambler' (an American car which is no longer manufactured) and another novelty single about 'The All American Hero,' which was an amusing take-off on Elvis. I'll never forget the classic line: I was a rockin and a rollin, playing my guitar, when up stepped the man with the big cigar, and said 'Come here boy, I'm gonna make you a star.' I think Pink Floyd was 'influenced' by that record. :))
Moley
Anonymous's picture
fan dabi dozi - by The Krankees!!!!!
Brownie_1
Anonymous's picture
It was a Euro song, can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was used by coca cola adverts for years... or simular too. I think it cost 40p, Mum was horrified that I'd paid an whole hours pay for such junk!!!
neil_the_auditor
Anonymous's picture
I bought various crappy singles when I was 9 or 10 but my first LP purchase was "Electric Ladyland" by Jimi Hendrix when I was 13 or 14. I was transfixed; it was marvellous then and still is 36 years later. My mother worked for Lewis' department store in Leeds and got it for me on her staff discount; she was less than pleased when she saw the cover.
Snaphappy
Anonymous's picture
'She's got the Look' by Roxette. I just felt like a STAR when I listened to it!
Jeffrey Prince
Anonymous's picture
I used to have Nellie the Elephant too, Pi. I think on the B-side it was The Ugly Duckling "performed" by Mike Read. Two excellent moral tales there.
shackleton
Anonymous's picture
Oh no Mississippi! I can't believe I'm now going to confess this one to you. The first record I ever bought was 'Looking High, High, High' by Frank Ifield. There were mitigating circumstances though because I had to sing the song in a school concert. The first 'proper' record I ever bought was 'She Loves You' by the Beatles. Yeah man, those WERE the days. [%sig%]
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I never bought singles myself, I thought they were a rip-off. Six and ninepence for 2 inferior pressed tracks was more than I could bear. My very first record was 'Elvis', sold in America as 'For LP Fans Only', 14 brilliant tracks for 31/6d I still have it in pristine condition and is now worth around £35. I bought it in 'Stanwoods' in Rayleigh High St when I was 15, so that would make it in 1959.
stormy
Anonymous's picture
This thread worries me. I can feel humiliation beckoning. I'm going to post elsewhere for a while.
Mykle
Anonymous's picture
Brownie: I wonder if you mean 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing' which started as the Coke ad "I'd like To Buy The World A coke" performed by The New Seekers?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
LOLOL at Colin! Come on you tosser, own up!
stormy
Anonymous's picture
erm
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Yes come on Storms, can't be any worse that Frank Ifield or the Krankee's.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
*admits to owning a copy of 'Nellie the Elephant' by Mandy Miller, bought when youngest was a kid, 20yrs ago*
Mykle
Anonymous's picture
The first record I can remember buying was Cliff Richard's The Young Ones with We Say Yeah as the B-side - no doubt I was influenced by the film of the same name. I used to really like Tommy Steele in my pre-teen years but my tastes had changed by the time I got around to buying records
stormy
Anonymous's picture
Ok after that I feel safe. I vaguely remember buying some compilation record (TOTP 1?) on which the tracks were laid down by session musicians and singers... But my first single and 'proper' record was Cum On Feel the Noize by those wonderful Wolverhampton skinheads turned suedeheads - remember that faze... toggles on your shoes, twotone trousers and a crombie? - I wish I could forget it. My parents weren't enough working class to afford it. Later, I added The Sweet and Gary Glitter (we didn't know!) to my portolio before discovering dinosaur rock - first album - Deep Purple - Made in Japan. Come on... the alternative was Tamla! Oh well, I know this is wasted on all you thirty somethings who grew up in the New Romantic era or, even worse, to Morrisey. But then, you missed out on a lot of fun... you depressed generation.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
No shame in saying Slade Stormy, all my older female cousins were massive fans of them and T-rex...... the band not the food product.
ulrike gerbig
Anonymous's picture
sticky fingers-rolling stones. i was 12 and bought it from my pocket money at a small record store in frankfurt ,germany.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
See you did buy/have/want crap when you were young and foolish. Admit it you were young and foolish once Missi.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I was 40, I bought it for the youngster, I also bought nappies and baby food, it doesn't mean I used them myself. You looking for a smack in the gob? I can always have you sent to an 's' thread.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Flash - those are two very respectable records, as is Colin's. I'm afraid as we weren't allowed to touch my dad's record player, I just taped stuff off the radio, so the first record I bought wasn't until I was about 15.
sabelle
Anonymous's picture
First one I bought with my own money - Money in my Pocket by the late great Dennis Brown. Can't remember how much it costs - must've been around £2. It was bought in Hony Tonk in Kentish Town - great shop that it was.
martin_t
Anonymous's picture
First single, "i wonder why" by showaddywaddy - bought in woolies in bath 2nd one was better - "my best friends girl" the cars first album - tonic for the troops - boomtown rats
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
Oo er , going to show my age now. First single: 'Like I've Never Been Gone' by Billy Fury First Album: 'The Young Ones' by Cliff Richard. Both purchased from a magnificent old fashioned shop that sold sheet music and pianos as well as single and long player records. It had a musty smell from the sheet music and a wonderfully snooty owner who turned up his nose at us youngsters buying this 'modern' music. Hodgkinson's in Macclesfield - it doesn't exist any more! My musical taste has improved.
andrew o'donnell
Anonymous's picture
Two.. can't remember which came first.. George Harrison - Cloud Nine (HMV? Bolton) Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (X Records, Bolton) The only other tapes I had before that were gifts.. UB40's 'Baggariddim' (?) and an Eddie Grant tape. I still believe in the healing powers of 'Electric Avenue' [%sig%]
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Er, we have something in common, Flash - Parallel Lines came in fast after David soul's 'Silver Lady' for me...or was that on some sort of compilation or something...can't remember.
jude
Anonymous's picture
Actually being young it was a cassette not a record...Chris Rhea's "Road to Hell" Woolies in Woking! Oh dear.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Good choice, Jude. Unlike Flashy who went for his brother, Dire.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Writes that one down. We all buy crap when we are young and foolish Missi.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
All except me?
Jeffrey Prince
Anonymous's picture
My first was The Smurfs singing "The Clapping and Jumping Song". I'd like to say that it was something by the Police or Blondie or even The Jam but it was The Smurfs singing "The Clapping and Jumping Song". It really worked too. We clapped and we jumped for hours as the record spun gaily. The ultimate bonus for me and my sister was discovering that if you played this seminal 45 at 33.3 you could hear the real adult voices of The Smurfs. In fact, now I come to think of it, that could have been where my deep disillusionment with Father Abraham began. [%sig%]
Mark Brown
Anonymous's picture
This will fix me in a very specific time and place: First Single: a joint first between 'Rubbish' by Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine and 'Easy to Smile' by The Senseless Things First Album: '101 Damnations' by Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine The singles were bought at the Virgin Megastore in Northumberland Street in Newcastle and the album was bought in Our Price in Eldon Square which is now a JJB Sports. For those of you who don't remember Carter, they were two men, two guitars a drum machine and some clapped out synthesiser who married three cord punk to a drum machine and some clapped out synthesiser and wrote songs that seemed to be entirely comprised of social realism made out of puns. The Senseless Things in contrast were a band of Buzzcocks-esque urchins who lived in a transit van and ate speed and special brew for breakfast. I was the indie-est 13 year old in Newcastle. I would listen to Mark Goodier's Evening Session and John Peel and tape all my favourite songs. Radio One still featured Bruno Brookes and no dance music. What I thought was the future was really just the last dregs of the 80s. Not as iconic as Elvis or 'Money In My Pocket' but still a definate time and place. No bugger remembers what I remember.
Jeffrey Prince
Anonymous's picture
Yes, I used to love Carter too. Then they just disappeared. They had some good tunes and witty lyrics and were massive for a while.
Pioden
Anonymous's picture
You know I've been trying to remember what I brought first - I know I given my first tape - Fleetwood Mac 'Albatross' first self brough album - think it was R Dean Taylor - 'Indiana want me' single - er crumbs - I've brought so many - I used to get them from a friend who use to change the disc's in juke boxes - so I've loads without any centre to them plus the ones I kind of inherited (nicked) from my little brother which he doesn't know about - plus a couple of bootlegged .... which I brought from under the counter in Hanley market sot I will admit to owning a copy of 'Nellie the Elephant' I've got one or two of those Top of the flops records too - for some reason my disc collection always makes people laugh I've no idea why - one day someone will tell me
Mykle
Anonymous's picture
I’ve been listening to that Bob Dylan bloke today and his ‘Like A Rolling Stone’ isn’t too bad.... in fact if only he’d been able to sing I’m sure he could have been fairly popular.
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
I bought 'Alright' by Supergrass for £2.99 in Freemans in Portishead. What did I think of it? It was alright.
Topic locked