Some encouragement to you all?
My Experience of Publication and Book Promotion
"Saving the World and Being Happy (The Computer Ager)", ISBN 141371756x
It's been a long, hard road but I believe I'm getting somewhere now, to judge by the latest of many good reviews:
"...a delicious mixture
of messianic message,
wicked satire, sweet romance
and utter hilarity." - Marian Van Eyk McCain, Resurgence magazine, July-August 2005
In the last two weeks, apart from this review coming out, I've been interviewed live on a national radio station in South Africa and been mentioned in Manchester's MetroNews.
Perhaps my tale will give some hope and encouragement to those of you starting out.
I wrote and researched "Saving the World and Being Happy" over several years (largely in Paris) during which time I, in effect, forewent thousands of pounds in lost earnings.
The novel was first posted on ABCtales where it received encouraging comments from some of you guys - thanks! Then I signed with a print-on-demand publisher after being rejected by conventional ones, I think largely because, being a political romantic comedy (!), it didn't slot neatly into an existing genre.
With the book having been favourably commented on on ABCtales, I was very fortunate in getting Tony Cook to read it before publication, and he gave me a terrific endorsement which appears on the back cover. Thanks to this, I think a lot of the prejudice which can be associated with print-on-demand books was averted. I did a lot of research on the net, and read everything I could find on book promotion etc., and you may see the results of my research on the "writer's links" page of my website. (See bottom of this posting for the website.)
"Saving the World and Being Happy" was then sent by a friend to two potential reviewers he knew would be on the book's side politically. In due course they each gave excellent reviews.
Then it was a case of sending the book out to local and student media. I engaged a PR agent to help with the publicity and, I have to say, this was amazingly good value for money! Smith and Smith PR Limited,
I/my book then appeared in several publications, including what is possibly the country's largest student paper, Student Direct, and I got some radio interviews. (There's a link to one of these from the "latest news!" page of my website: David Kay interviews me on the "Under the Pavement" show on Manchester's ALL FM.)
Smith and Smith also targeted veterinary publications and, hey presto, a feature appeared in the Veterinary Times. With the successful appearance on national radio in South Africa, we are hoping to target national media in the UK. I'm also hoping that the book will be published on a conventional sale-or-return basis soon. (I believe various rights can be bought from the present publishers.) With the current Live 8 frenzy, "Saving the World and Being Happy", tackling as it does the role of the multinationals in propagating the divide between the rich and poor, could hardly be more topical.
My website, although a bit crude as it's done by myself, has been important. Fortunately a new and improved version will soon be ready, I have been informed by a generous and talented friend. (Friends have been very helpful all along, needless to say - huge thanks to them!)
There's still a long way to go, but I am gaining in confidence and optimism all the time. I hope you may glean something useful from my story and from the website, perhaps especially the "writers' links" page, although the "latest news!" link, from the top of the index page, will give you an idea of the chronology of things. The "reviews" link will let you read most of the reviews that have been brought to my attention - I would love a copy of the one which I've heard appeared in Aberdeen University's "Gaudie" - does anyone have a copy?
Feel free to email me if you have any specific queries. Warm regards to all.
Eric
R. Eric Swanepoel
"Saving the World and Being Happy (The Computer Ager)"
ISBN 141371756x
P.S. Persevere. Persevere. Persevere.



