Wind Turbines

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wind Turbines

I am both ill and probably a bit fick so maybe I'm missing something here. But you know how everybody objects to wind turbines in their own backyard? Why can't they be placed on top of city centre office blocks where nobody would give a stuff? Off back to bed now. Anybody got the number of that euthanasia clinic in Switzerland?

I think the main reason is that, as Spain and Germany have found, they are actually not quite the magic bullet that everyone thinks. This is not to say that we shouldn't be looking for the answer. The problem is things like the following: The two firms said the concept of "SchwarmStrom" (literally, "swarm power") would allow Germany to abandon nuclear and coal power stations sooner and help compensate for the volatility of renewables like wind and solar power. The above is from a news article about mini-power stations in the basements of buildings: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090909/tsc-home-power-plants-project-unvei... Most likely governments will not be willing to fund research into alternatives properly until all carbon fuels are gone and we're all bartering for animal pelts off the back of handcarts. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Two guesses: because people can be just as sniffy about the skylines of their cities as they can about the countryside, and because few buildings are designed to support big heavy vibrating objects on the roof. Personally I think wind turbines look beautiful and don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Topic locked