Editing help - here's the rub.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Editing help - here's the rub.

We all need a bit of help with editing, making our stories a little better, and a lot sharper. I’m certainly no exception to that rule. We often project what we think we mean onto the page. It’s often easier for someone else to pick up the faults and fault lines in our story. We need that other reader to see what we cannot.

What I propose is to offer my editing skills. Pledge to Lily Poole and send me your story odonnelljack52@gmail.com and I’ll make suggestions about how to make it stronger.

If you are wondering how much you should pledge, well, look around you. Google a few sites. Guardian Unlimited, for example, are offering up to £1000 discount on their courses, but it’ll still leave you £4000 to £5000 out of pocket. Pledge what you think is fair.

I pledge to return your story, with a full critique within seven days (unless, of course, it’s that novel you had stored in your hard drive, where you should be looking at the largest pledge and a longer time frame).

I will return whatever money you have pledged if you feel the critique is inadequate, or just doesn’t do it for you.

I will also return your pledge if, when you get your copy of Lily Poole you’re disappointed and would simply like your money back. That’s win-win.  So take a chance and pledge-pledge. You’ve nothing to lose. 

For members new to this project Jack's debut novel, the brilliant Lilly Poole is going to become a reality.  It's a crowd-funding approach for new writers that helps them to break the stranglehold of the 'London Literati Set' long responsible for stifling new talent and preserving well established very tired tropes.

For the record I'm in and I know a lot of others are too.  With more help from 'new money' coming from new pledgers this fabulous project will reach the 50%-funded-by-Christmas mark. 

Entry level pledges are a tenner and where I booze that's not even the cost of a round of drinks.  So come on, please get on board and make this a reality for one of the best writers anywhere never mind just here on ABCtales: 

http://unbound.co.uk/books/lily-poole

Who knows, you could be the one looking for crowd funding to help you publish your novel next.

Peter Hitchen.

I took up Jack's offer to read one of my stories after going to Unbound to donate. My pages came back swiftly with useful notes on them, and a nice email. Look forward to reading Lily Poole when it's out. 

ashb