Happy World Book Day

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Happy World Book Day

I wish it to you all - try going up to someone today and wishing them a Happy World Book Day - best response might win a mug if it's good enough. We are writers - we can make them up! Truth, though, is always stranger than fiction.

By the way does anyone remember who made the 60s/70s album called Ruth is always stranger than Richard?

I just googled 'Ruth Is Always Stranger Than Richard' and found an album called 'Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard' by Robert Wyatt. Is that the one you were looking for? Happy World Book Day! I have just finished Katharine Hepburn's biography (by A.Scott Berg- very good) and feel that the auspicious day demands that I start something big. Or clever. Or maybe I'll just retreat to the sunny bit of the sofa with 'Death On The Nile'... lib
Tony, it's definitely old red wheels himself, Robert Wyatt. I have to admit that I refute the claim that truth is always stranger than fiction. I suggest modifying it to 'truth CAN be stranger than fiction'. It, of course, depends on which truth and which fiction you choose. 'The Atrocity Exhibition' by J.G. Ballard, a fiction that I was reading on the way to work this morning was certainly stranger than the facts of my journey to work. Therefore, I refute your claim. I've always been a bit hazy at to the purpose of World Book Day. Can anyone fill me in? Cheers, Mark Brown, Editor (on leave), www.ABCtales.com

I just msn'd my friend (who is obviously either very busy or extremely grumpy) and wished her happy world book day, her response....fuck off!
(that was actually a lie, but it IS what I would say if someone wished it to me!)
And I wished it to the driver of the 73 bus as I got on at Euston. He said "What? You want me to read and drive?" I told him that if he was a woman he could multi-task. He laughed. See, Ruth is stranger than Richard.
My six year old son came running into the kitchen this morning. "Mummy, Daddy! Just the guys I wanted to see!" "What is it, Luke?" "Happy World Book Day!" Then we got a hug each off him. Yesterday he had gone into school dressed as a fictional character, in honour of the day. He chose Mr Majeika. If you have kids you might know the books. If you have kids, you might also know they love this sort of thing.
Topic locked