Is your writing good enough?

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Is your writing good enough?

We are looking for people to submit work for the start of the worlds greatest novel. Each person is only allowed to write 500 words. However, for the start of the novel we are accepting works with up to 1000 words. This is because the opening pahase of the book is the most important, as it will set the structure of the book, introduce initial characters, set the scene of the novel. After a work has been selected and published, the next phase of the book will be wrote by someone else, and they must read the novel so far, and continue where the last published writer left off!

WWW.WORLDSGREATESTNOVEL.COM
Free writing, free submission, free entry!

www.worldsgreatestnovel.com has received 41 works to date in its first week. We are pleased to anounce, two pieces of work have been selected for the shortlist. We are currently reading through the other works that have been submitted. We will be publishing any works on the website that have made the short list. Please see the website for further details.

All writers are welcome to submit work, from published authors to school children.

We have just installed a forum on the website, anyone wishing to promote their own work, website please feel free.

We have also included a new link page on the website, and requests will be included on the site.

For more details about the project please visit website

'Will be wrote?' Is your writing good enough?

Obviously not!

Someone's website needs a good editor...
The BBC's isn't much better, I've noticed several glaring grammatical and spelling errors on the radio site in the last few days. eg. on the Radio 2 site today '.... free speach..'

"Any work submitted will become the copyright of this website, and the writer will give up any claim they have to the work" So basically the organisers can steal your work with inpunity and do whatever they want with it. I've never seen that attempted anywhere else and, given the poor quality of English on the website, I don't think they'll get many submissions.
I suspect that only idiots would even consider submitting their shopping list, never mind serious work. This has to be the most blatant example of attempted 'theft' I've ever heard of.

Check out the first line of the first shortlisted piece. "The mists of time". Good to see that their cliche-ometer is working well.
worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
Firstly this project was never about money, hence no entrance fee to submit your work. It's about creating a worldwide novel which will be seen by thousands. If www.worldsgreatestnovel.com was about money making we would have charged an entrance fee for sure. The chances of making any money even if published is extremely remote to say the least. This project was solely about writing for fun and having the chance to have 1000 of your own words and creativity forming part of a book that will be seen by thousands. There are thousands of writers who write for sheer enjoyment, and it is a shame that everything boils down to money. I for one, would just like to have my work included in such a project. Its not about ripping anyone off, scaming anyone or robbing the writers who enter. Finally, the clause on the website is there for one reason and one reason only. Say for instance that the book has been completed and 100 writers have been voted in turn and the book is complete. If a publisher then comes and asks for permission to publish, writer number 34, could turn around and decline to have his work published. This way we can guarentee that the book will continue whatever stage we get to without having to be worried about someone pulling the plug and ruining the project for everyone else. Thank you for taking the time to read. Please not any monies raised will be paying towards the commitee of editors, hosting, time etc. THIS IS NOT ABOUT MONEY! THERE ARE EASIER WAYS THAN THIS TO MAKE A FEW QUID! THIS IS ABOUT A WRITING PROJECT..AND NOTHING MORE!
Would that be 'committee' with two 't's?

Who are the 'thousands' of readers you speak of? The people who submitted the pieces? So, you don't charge an entrance fee but you do expect everyone who has submitted to purchase the book. It's an old, exposed trick. A very effective one for selling books and making a quick killing. Simple: exploit the writer's ego, put him/her on a pedestal (what better way than to put their words into print). You KNOW that the writer is gonna wanna perve over the results (I'm in print, yippeee) therefore securing your market - yes - those who write it are those who buy it. Perfect! You get the profit and off you toddle to your next scam! It aint law if it aint laminated!

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

I don't think it's a scam, but the shortlisted pieces are terrible, the general idea isn't very good (it's hard enough to write a coherent novel with two authors, let alone dozens) and it all doesn't seem very well thought through. ~ I'll Show You Tyrants * Fuselit * The Prowl Log * Woe's Woe
Quite right, Jon. The idea that you can write any novel, let alone the 'greatest in the world', by committee is laughable. Committees rarely do anything worthwhile properly.

My last book, the best selling book in the world I might add, was written by a group of different authors. That too was a scam.
It was hardly a novel, though I guess in it's way it WAS novel. There's a world of difference between the best novel and the best selling, anyway. You only have to look at the amount of people who buy that Harry Potter rubbish!

WGN, I’m intrigued by the idea. I haven’t yet looked at the website (I promise to do so later… today… or this week…) but judging by some of the comments above, I am a little put off doing so. It doesn’t seem to me like a scam, and I don’t overall think it’s a “bad” idea – anything which is outside the normal publishing route piques my interest – but it does seem (again, judging by the comments above) to be something which needs a little more thought, proofreading of website etc… and perhaps some external funding? – e.g. from the Arts Council or some international equivalent. This whole authors-being-expected-to-buy-the-book thing is clearly putting some people off and ringing alarm bells of “Scam!” – so if this bit could be (at least partially) done away with, people may be a little more trustworthy of your intentions. Like I said, I am overall intrigued by the idea. I’ll have a look at the website and let you know what I think… ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
I think it's a mistake to assume that this is either a scam or a worthwhile project. My impression is that it's a bad idea, badly executed by well meaning people who aren't very good at writing themselves and have little or no understanding of how to produce a novel that anyone else might want to read. There's nothing evil or sinister going on here, just some good old fashioned delusion and silliness.

Yeah, you're probably right. I still can't get my head round the idea of a group novel, I've never heard of such a crap idea

It's not a crap idea! It may take some doing to make it work, but it's not a crap idea... ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
Reminds me of this nerk (wiki-wanker is the correct term I believe) out there in internet land trying to make (and fund) an entire film by committee. http://www.aswarmofangels.com/

I suspect that David had this one right - a bad idea, poorly executed - but not a scam. Do enter if you feel like doing so but don't hold your breath!
Haemorrhoid, it IS crap, and anyone with an ounce of sense would see it. I know, you work in grammes.

O-o-o-h-h-h-h-h no it's not!!! ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
Well, there have been several fairly high profile attempts to write group novels involving famous writers. Some of them have raised a decent amount of cash for charity but I've never heard of any of them being any good. As Jack says: "(it's hard enough to write a coherent novel with two authors, let alone dozens)"

That's because they were CRAP!

worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
WWW.WORLDSGREATESTNOVEL.COM is neither a scam or a poor idea, it just needs people to contribute instead of damning the project. I dont know where the idea that writers have to buy a book comes from. The chances of the project being published are slim. (but not impossible, if the project takes off in the way hoped) This project respresents a 'friendly' competiton that people who enjoy writing can enter. I think it a shame that some people on this site think everyone has poor intentions and are motivated by greed and hidden agenda's. This competition is open to all, which is free to enter. Please feel free to showcase your writing talent and submit an entry. This project is going to work because of the amount of publicity we are receiving. We have already been featured in Australian, New Zealand and an Italian magazine. This is a great place to showcase your talents. Please ignore the idiots who are so intent on damning the project and help us prove them wrong. Thank you to anyone from this posting who visits the site or submits work.
worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
We currently have selected 15 works from 392 entries. There are still 35 places left on the short list. Anyone wishing to advertise anything can log onto our forum. We currently have a thriving community with up to 32 visitors online at anyone time. Anything is allowed as long as it is legal!
So that's 15 people who no longer own their own work! The book will be crap because it's not possible to write successfully by committee, and anyway, with people who have a poor grasp of grammar to be editing it, there is no chance of it being readable. * ... and anyone reading this site are welcome ... * I rest my case.

worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
If you took time to actually read the website properly you would see that only the person selected has to give up the copyright to their work. Please visit the website for details. Its idiots like you who my last post was made towards. If you are not interested in the project then please keep your comments to yourself.
I didn't start writing in order to involve myself in some collaborative hippy group love in, I started writing in order to spend more time on my own late at night off my face on cheap red wine pacing about the floor and agonising about where to put a bloody comma.

* ...you would see that only the person selected has to give up the copyright to their work... * Umm, if you were in the slightest bit bright, you'd see that I quoted the number that you said WERE selected! I have no intention of visiting the site as I can waste my time in at least a thousand better ways. As to keeping my comments to myself, you ain't got a hope in hell. I see it as my responsibility to open the eyes of gullible people to your ludicrous plan to take ownership of the work of others. Ya know, I feel kind of sorry for you. You REALLY can't see that claiming someone elses copyright is immoral if nothing else, can you? If you really want to get a book in print, I suggest you write it yourself, though judging from your personal writing abilities I'd say you'd be better off forgetting the whole idea.

Answer me this, worldsgreatestnovel man: how is the book going to be any good when all the shortlisted pieces on the website are so amateurish? What kind of decent novel would have an opening chapter with sentences like: "Time had taught her undeniably that surrender to destiny was as honourable as resistance, especially if one had no choice." If you're puzzled as to why I think this is bad, then you're an awful editor! How does one 'teach undeniably'? In what possible way could 'Time' teach someone that one thing is as honourable as another? How in God's name could something be 'especially honourable' if 'one had no choice'? This is confused nonsense! And you're proposing putting it in your first paragraph! ~ I'll Show You Tyrants * Fuselit * The Prowl Log * Woe's Woe
Jon, For the first time since the dawn of time, I undeniably agree with your assessment of the prose, It races through my mind like a monkey stuck on the toilet waiting for his next banana. "oooo, oooo, oooo" he said Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

The anus dangler is mysteriously quiet! Could it be that he realises he's in a minority of one in this 'debate'?

Yes WGN man, you're on a general discussion site, and to tell someone to keep their comments to themselves is just slightly worrying.

I presume your delightful appellation refers to me, Miss... I have not thus responded, because I am not here... so to speak. I remain fencewards (but offering the benefit of the doubt) until I get around to looking at the website... which I will... soon... ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
With regard the copyright of the selected material, only the piece that is included in the actual novel itself will give up the copyright. The remaining writers will keep sole ownership of their copyright if not selected by an online vote. So if 1000 writers submit work, 50 will be selected for shortlist status, then finally only one will be selected. (This being the only work whose copyright is given up.) The works have all been edited by professional editors and anyone who does not like a story, please don’t read. If you do not like the idea, then please don’t visit the site. Regarding the amateurish comment - this is exactly what the site is all about, amateurs and other writers having a writing competition and having a little fun along the way. To hopefully achieve recognition for their efforts. I don't see anything wrong with that. If the work is not of a high enough standard for 'professional' readers to be bothered to become involved, please don't knock the writing talents of those who choose to enter. Finally writing is all about opinions, and people have posted comments on our forum stating how impressed they are with the works. Some other members have also posted comments saying they don't like a particular piece. But have given constructive Criticism. (This is different to just saying something is crap.) This is writing and this life. Some of you will take one sugar in tea, some two and some taken no sugar. We are all different, what suits some, others may dislike. But to say you don't like something without even tasting (like some of the members on this site) I believe to be a little 'amateurish' myself. Thank You.
Dear 'worldsgreatestnumbskull', you are getting tiresome, can't you go pester some other poor unsuspecting site?

worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
As Mississippi would say - you ain't got a hope in hell.
I've followed this with interest, and logged onto the site to have a look. It's not very good is it?
worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
It's all about opinions. If you don't like then that's your choice. You can't please everyone, and we don't intend on trying!
Interest? HED KEEQUAI

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

I feel nervous about being in the aforementioned "minority of one" here, but because of this I feel even more that I should step up and say what I feel about all this. Just had a small look around the website and read the first shortlisted piece, and yes, I admit, it doesn't seem that well written or to my taste, but I still don't feel that in principle the idea is a bad one or that Worldsgreatestnovel merits some of the negativity directed at him here. Constructive criticism is fine - par for the course and totally to be expected. But I think the following sort of comment... Dear 'worldsgreatestnumbskull', you are getting tiresome, can't you go pester some other poor unsuspecting site? ...is totally unwarranted. I've had this sort of comment directed at myself, so first of all I'll say to WGN, don't take it personally! That's just Missi for you... Regarding the whole "writing by committee" idea, I can see how it can be damnably difficult to make it work, even more so to make it work well (I've been involved, by proxy, recently, in the formation of a photography "collective," so I'm aware of the sorts of problems which can occur). To say or infer, however, that it's unworkable and the results are bound to be crap, is unproductively negative. And besides which, if a group of people have fun and get something personally out of it, where's the harm? We (as in participators) may be "selling" the rights to one piece of work in the process, but we're not selling out souls! ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
Yes, DO ignore the profane and intellectually arrogant 'writers' on this site for whom anything other than their own favourite selected works of literature are considered 'substandard'. If they don't like the writing or the site, they don't have to contribute to it, do they? Jaaaaaackkkkkk....? Missssisssippppiiiiiiii?
worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
Thank you Pepsoid and Dr Jekyll for you fair comments. I am sure with more people who share your attitudes the project will be a success. I do hope people will read these last two comments and give the project the respect and recognition it deserves, and credit to the writers whose work has been selected. I appreciate some of the works will not suit everyone, but that is why a selection of 50 will be put forward to a public vote. This way the work that receives the most votes can officially declared the people's favourite.
* Dr Jekyll view contact What I've written Right now, I have 0 stories in 0 collections on the site. * LMAO ! Well WGNumbskull, don't go expecting any contributions from Jackal, because he hasn't got ANYTHING to offer! What 'I' consider to be sub-standard is anything less than that which the English language demands, ie. correct spelling and good grammar, both of which are conspicuous by their absence in numbskull's posts. Haemorrhoid will take a contrary stance to the majority because he thinks it makes him look like an individual. The problem is it DOES, but individuality sometimes indicates a lack of understanding, immaturity and plain stupidity, all of which apply. If you think the pair of them represent any kind of literary group you're sorely mistaken. My contribution is all on here, don't say you weren't advised.

worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
You make me laugh so much! It is so easy to belittle someone from behind a computer screen. What a big hard man you must be. In truth you are probably a little, nerdy guy covered in spots with no mates. You come on this site acting the 'big I am', which is anything from reality. I do hope you keep posting as your comments just seem to prove my point. There have been plenty of people who have come on this site and made a comment, but when you start posting quotes from people's profile just because they disagree with you, makes me feel all the more sad for you and proves my point.
As it happens, everyone here KNOWS who 'I' am, which is more than can be said for either you or Jackal, who both prefer to be anonymous. I have no need to belittle you as you're doing THAT job perfectly well on your own behalf, and judging from your posts it's about the only job I expect you DO do well. As for Jackal, he's a troll, so he doesn't even count. You may have the last word as I've tired of trying to explain to you that you're wasting your time with your infantile hopes and dreams of writing/publishing the 'worlds greatest novel'. I must now move on. You have however been entertaining.

Why do people keep sending this topic up the page again? Just let it slip down into obscurity. I feel it's ok to put this as it is at the top anyway, but I wont be giving it a leg up again. WGN, I admire your tenacity, but I suspect your energy might be better spent promoting the site somewhere that people give a damn about it. Here, it seems you have just the one fan. Perhaps he can submit one of his Larry and Mick stories, I'm sure you would think they are brilliant. If you are still stuck for ideas as to how you can fill your time, practise your html skills or something. The website design itself looks like it was produced on some beta version of a programme developed circa 1994.
worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
Thank you for your comment. We feel the website design is sufficient for the time being. However, maybe we can contact you in the future as you appear to be a fine judge of website designs before implementing any changes to the current site. Once again thank you for taking time out from your busy day to find time to post an entry on this site. We do appreciate all comments!
worldsgreatestnovel
Anonymous's picture
For the record, I am not the owner of the site, merely a PR person working in conjunction with the project. So as for filling my time, I have plenty just to sit around and post on forums each day. Thank You.

Pages

Topic locked