Chilled Red Wine

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chilled Red Wine

So there was this thing on the radio a few weeks ago with some wine buff who said that, contrary to popular opinion, red wine should be drunk chilled.

I've got a glass now fresh out of the fridge and I'm not convinced one way or the other.

How do you drink yours?

Beer + wine of all types... chilled. Spirits... chilled. Chocolate... chilled. Crisps... chilled (try it!). ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Wine, always chilled...unless of course I find a bottle in the back of the truck I missed on an earlier fishing trip or something. Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

I've never really thought about it, but I could tell you what I do to a cream egg :) Hmm...always chilled. Same with any drink, even water. Give me a drink that's at room temp and i say nah thanks...except for a lovely cup of tea. Nothing compares to a chingy-ching-oo-ah! When I was a kid I used to say, "put the kettle on Mother I'm parched!" We used to watch coronation street together for the prime reason we could share tea. The only reason we needed tv was to provide ambience and it also made for a little light entertainment between swallows. I'm drinking a cup right now. I can't drink red wine. last time I drank red wine I got a phone call a month later whereby my best friend informed me that he'd ripped up his laminate floor for replacing and he'd discovered that the red wine/chilli stew he gave me that night and I subsequently puked-up again, had managed to soak through to the damp-proof underlay. I've not touched it since. Woke up on a lilo in his lounge at 5am convinced I was on a stretcher and bleeding profusely. Couldn't have felt happier when his wife entered the lounge in a nice little bedroom piece of fashion which I can say sat extremely well and I can't recall now whether it was her I was admiring, or the dress. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Red wine is nicest at room temperature, or very slightly below it. I hate chilled red wine - it's like iced spaghetti bolognese. Makes no sense! Chilled white wine, if it's a good wine, is marvellous though. Chilled tea tree oil pessaries are also very refreshing I hear.
Frozen iced buns are nice! And frozen "soft"-centred chocolates. ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

I like chilled red if it's in a sangria. I don't like white wine, full stop, so I don't care if it's chilled or not.. It gives me a cracking headache. I've heard that reds should be served *slightly* chilled at 'cellar' temperature. If cellars are by nature cooler than the rest of the house, if one has a warm house it stands to reason that a wine stored there will be slightly warmer than it should be. Then again, who has a cellar nowdays? My 1970s shotgun box sure doesn't. It barely has an attic. I forget what the actual temperature of red should be, according to the 'experts'. Maybe someone will google it...but I'm pretty sure it's not the average 'room temperature', as most of us keep our houses rather toasty. But certainly an icy-cold red wine doesn't sound very palatable!
I agree that the strong tastes of red wines are disguised by cold. Some people chill alcohol for exactly that reason. We recently acquired a bottle of Polish herbal Vodka. Tradition requires that it's frozen before being poured. When warm, the liquid tastes awful, rather like crushed flora, distilled, (which it is.) My webpage is at: http://www.bookscape.co.uk
Serving Temperature (From The Wine Doctor at http://www.thewinedoctor.com) The temperature at which a wine is served is important, and it is worth spending a few moments thinking about it. The old adage of serving white wines chilled and red wines at room temperature is a useful starting point, although not nearly detailed enough. A wine served a little too cold or a little too warm can lose an awful lot of character, particularly with respect to aroma. Most domestic refrigerators maintain their internal environment at about 4ºC, which is far too cold for most white wines. Champagne and dry white wines of quality are best served at a temperature between 8ºC and 10ºC (sometimes even a little higher), so just a bare hour in the fridge door will do fine here. Inexpensive white wines, cheaper sparkling wines and sweet white wines are best a little colder, perhaps 4ºC to 8ºC, so two hours or so should bring these bottles down to a reasonable temperature. Red wines often also need a little chilling. The 'room temperature' which many regard as the ideal serving temperature for red wines is not an excuse to leave wines languishing in the warmth of today's insulated, centrally heated houses. The ideal serving temperature for many fine red wines is perhaps 14ºC to 18ºC, somewhat cooler than modern houses, although this was a common temperature indoors in centuries gone by! Many reds, unless stored somewhere cool, will benefit from half an hour in the refrigerator. This is particularly the case for Beaujolais and young Burgundy, as well as Pinot Noir from the New World. Good claret, Rhônes and other reds from warmer climes are generally fine at 18ºC. When bringing the wine to the correct temperature, its obviously important not to damage the wine. Gentle cooling in the fridge is best, and cooling in a bucket of water and ice is also safe, and more rapid. It will have the effect of bringing the wine down to 0ºC, which is far too cold to appreciate the wine, so you will need to remove the bottle before it gets this far. If trying to warm a bottle which is too cold, there is a more significant risk of damaging the wine. Warm the wine gently, preferably by planning ahead and bringing the wine from its cool storage area, be it wine cellar or fridge, several hours in advance. Many are tempted to try and accelerate the process by placing the wine near radiators or other sources of heat. This is a sure fire recipe for disaster, with the end result likely to be a stewed, soupy, cooked flavour in the wine. Even the supposedly knowledgeable are guilty of this - a wine waiter in a respected local restaurant at which I was eating once tried to warm a bottle just up from the cellar by placing it next to the open fire - needless to say I was quick to stop him. If uncertain about serving temperature, always err on the side of caution and serve the wine a little too cold. A wine served in the way will soon warm up in the glass, probably releasing a sequence of pleasing aromas as it does so. If very cold, cupping the hand around the body of the glass will encourage the wine to warm. There is no easy way, however, of cooling a wine served too warm.
Yep! Agreed! ;) There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

Dennett

For me, personally: White wine - chilled almost to the point of being frozen. Red wine - room temperature, always. Chilling, for me, just kills it.
Vodka (generally) is better chilled almost to the point of frozen... and not supermarket own brand. ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

You must have a good freezer in your kitchen Peps.
It does the trick, Cath... :-) ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Really? Chills vodka to almost frozen? Wow.
I detect a subtle hint of sarcasm... ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Less sarcasm, more incredulity! How do you define almost frozen? I mean... almost crunchy, or deep sludginess? I am a bit of a *cough* vodka afficionado... I take a great interest in it Peps.
Not sludgy, not cruncy, not icy as such... as close to zero degrees C without affecting its liquidity. ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Just cold then, rather than almost frozen. Fair enough. If you do want it almost frozen, then the cheap supermarket own brand stuff you denounce is more likely to do the trick. Otherwise, forget it. Vodka doesnt get anywhere near frozen in a basic kitchen freezer. Maybe a bottle of wikid or whatever its called... but not decent vodka. Call me a pedant, I accept it. red wine - if in a hot country, then chilled. In the uk, room temp.
>>> Call me a pedant ... You're a pedant. ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Yep. Vodka doesnt freeze. It doesnt even 'almost freeze'. Try Lidl's own. :o) etc
If it gets close to zero, it almost freezes. ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

No Pepsoid, it doesnt.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*wonders where peps was during science lessons*
are you mistaking water for vodka???? oooooooooohahahahahhahahaaaa
standing in a freezer with a blindfold on? Come on peps... really!
Well you learn something new every day! http://cocktailtimes.com/dictionary/vodka_dictionary.shtml Anyway, just because it doesn't actually freeze, doesn't mean it doesn't almost freeze. ***starts to wonder when to put his spade away*** ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

i think the freezing point of vodka perhaps explains its popularity in russia?
we could send peps to siberia with a bottle of lidls voddie in a brown paper bag ... in the interests of science of course?
Hence my 'sludge' question... you said not like sludge! Shall we just say you like it 'very cold'? Here's a tip if you do - wash out a tall milk carton... stick a bottle of vodka in it... stand in freezer. Thats about as chilled as you will get it (But it still wont be frozen, nor 'almost' frozen.)
i wonder what the freezing point of sherry is ...
do you know ... have had a lovely evening ... i wont go into the details ... but this has topped it off a treat ... lolololololol
Yes, I said not like sludge! Not sludgy, not cruncy, not icy as such... as close to zero degrees C without affecting its liquidity. Criminy! ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

*idly flicking through Chemistry for Dummies* hey peps ... got this for you ...
Oh dear, I'm not intimately acquainted with the chemical properties of vodka... how distraught am I... :-/ ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

*passes handbag*
Oh Peps... I am sorry, are you exasperated with me? I will break it down further. You said you liked it almost frozen (this is not zero btw). I asked - like sludge? You said 'no' (see, I am paying attention). I asked that because sludge vodka, is as near as you will get in a domestic freezer, to 'almost frozen'. Really, gosh...
I don't care anymore. I'm off for some hot milk'n'honey. ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Do you boil the milk...? Be careful.
looks like peps took his bottle home ...
Oh no, he argued about Vodka. If only I'd logged on earlier I might have saved him. *Observes 1 minute silence for Peps* I'll miss him.
I'm still here! Thank you for the thought, though, Hox... ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Silly you. Arguing vodka with ABCtales ladies is like arguing theology with God.
Yep, watch out for boils and locusts Peps. And don't get too fond of your firstborn.
aww... stop that Hox. What were you doing up so early anyway? Partied all night?
Awwww, silly Peps. You should have bowed out gracefully and early, perhaps an apology and retraction might have been the gentlemanly thing to do. Ah! But no , you've developed AG syndrome, bit too fond of your own voice. ;-0). *Waits*
I'm leaping to the defence of Lidl's own vodka here. It ain't half bad at all. Best boiled and used to make tea - in fact, it's the only way to drink Peppermint tea. It hits the spot, I can tell you. Sooner drink room temp red wine, though. Best of all, though - stick a can of Special Brew in the freezer for an hour, until it's slush. Stick a straw in. Best Slush Puppy you'll ever have.
I've never tried vodka. Hmm...I have used it to extract lsa from morning glory seeds though. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

Dennett

"What were you doing up so early anyway? Partied all night?" I was up all night taking drugs . Ibuprofen for a bad neck these days unfortunately: the buggers keep falling out of the spliff.
What temperature does special brew freeze at AB?

Pages

Topic locked