Anybody else find creative juices stop when on the computer?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anybody else find creative juices stop when on the computer?

I find it really hard to be inspired when working on the computer! Scribbling in a notebook is where I feel happiest writing stories, anyboy else the same? I just find being stuck staring at a brightly lit screen does nothing to get those creative juices flowing!

No for me, sometimes opposite, I get an idea, write it down & once I type it up, the rest just fills in easier.

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

Alot of the time my poems I just make up there an then, Im not even sure if i get ideas, but sometimes it backfires a bit like my cheeseboard story, I just logged in and typed it up and then afterwards thought, hmm what the fup. hehe.

Until we feel our thoughts our thinking remains unfelt

I get too easily distracted on the computer...games, emails, Facebook, forums...I have no discipline. If I've written a rough draft in a notebook I find it easier to fool myself into thinking it's just a quick typing job, not worth logging into anything. Then I find I get into it and the juices start flowing. Mind you, I always find a couple of glasses of wine are a help in any medium.
Each to their own I think. Like Khadai, I've found the opposite is true, although sometimes I've had inspiration without a keyboard to hand and have had to scribble. The two things I (personally) have found is: 1) that inspiration usually doesn't come until I sit down and get writing (i.e. it's pointless waiting for it to come first); and 2) that it's best to save anything I think is 'final' and re-visit a day later (I think everything I've ever posted straight away has not been as good as it should and has fared accordingly). Rob

I think revisiting and rewriting is essential - and that I can't do on the computer. Has to be printed out and gone over with the red pen. Something really satisfying about that. Must have been a teacher in a previous life.
yes thats what I mean, same as me.

"I will make sense with a few reads \^^/ "

what tends to work for me might be a little bit strange and you need to be a pretty decent typist (typer?). I listen to a piece of inspiring music, close my eyes and type whatever I feel like typing. When the music is over I'll open my eyes and see if I can make something out of the mess I've made :)

Definitely need music, can't write without it unless i'm in the great outdoors!
first draft has to be on paper then the second draught onto the computer. If i do it any other way it just doesn't work. I think it's easier scribbling away with a pen or pencil than hitting keys (usually the wrong ones!). Don't get annoyed by the wavy green and red lines that way either. ;)
I find scribbling down on paper much better than sitting down at the computer. I don't always have a computer with me when I feel inspired and it is much easier to get hold of a pen and paper. I am old fashioned because I scribble and make several drafts and then when completely sure I type it out and like here, submit. Pen and paper are number 1.
I always write first on a notebook. I can't get inspired otherwise. I only write essays directly on the computer. keiko

keiko

I can only really write on paper. I used to be able ot type when I was younger and that inspired me, my typing is full of errors and nothing like my writing. I do occasionally type because it's more free sometimes but otherwise I have ot have a hard copy in front of me. Pen and paper works for me I type up when I'm done.
Topic locked