New chapters posted: The Chosen

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
New chapters posted: The Chosen

I have just posted the revised first chapter, as well as the second and third chapters from The Chosen. I've been asked to submit to an agent, and would appreciate critique of these if anyone is willing. Thank you so much.

Congratulations Dascha! I'll be sure to have a look and will send you some comments tomorrow.

Dascha, you know I support you, so don't take this the wrong way, but who specifically has asked you to submit to an agent? And why would you want to? 

It's my choice, Karl. I pitched to an agent at a writer's conference, and she has asked me to submit a partial. I know that I can indie publish, but I'm already seeing what a hard road that is. Despite a lot of legwork on my part, sales are virtually non existent on my currrently published work. I'll self publish this book as well, if I don't find a publisher for it, but I honestly would rather publish traditionally if possible.

Dascha, Indie e-publishing is certainly a hard slog, although I prefer it myself because I'm in charge (and can publish a book or alter it within minutes). Good luck with finding an agent and a publisher. And when you do make sure to check you haven't  been accepted by just another small Indie publisher, who takes a cut of your royalties, all of your control and does little else. Before deciding to go ahead demand some serious answers from them such as a) How long is the print run? (you could have the book on the marketplace about nine months earlier yourself), b) How many books will be in the print run? c) Who owns the copyright once the print run comes to an end? d) Most importantly, what effort are they prepared to put forward - time & money - to promote your book? (if it they answer they'll add it to their website, but it's up to you to promote it, then they're hardly likely to be on the equivalent scale of, say, Simon & Schuster), and e) Even more importantly, do they expect any financial outlay from yourself? I'm not trying to be negative, I honestly wish you the best, but I'm a cynical old sod.