good old-fashioned sci-fi

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
good old-fashioned sci-fi

I've decided to reacquaint myself with good old-fashioned sci-fi. I've just picked up Philip K. Dick's "Now Wait for Next Year"... Anyone got any other suggestions of 'cracking good reads' in this genre? (from around the 50s/60s/70s)

You could read Dick's "A Scanner Darkly" before the film comes out later this year. Druggy paranoia under the guise of Sci Fi. The film stars Keanu Reeves, so they've probably made a right pig's ear of it. I'm a closet Sci Fi fan - read loads as a kid, so I could suggest tons of dodgy titles!
try Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, and definitely Kurt Vonnegut. Someone stole the Phillip K Dick robot in Febuary http://tinyurl.com/cxk5z

I went through a period of reading loads of SF a few years ago, but I'm trying to remember what's good! Wracking my brain, I've read quite a bit by... Silverberg Clarke Asimov Aldiss ...ooh & what else? Keep 'em coming, folks! :-) * P * :-)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

"The Child Garden" by Geoff Ryman. Very strange. Future tropical London. Kids receive education via viral infection. And one little girl is immune! How can you resist such a story... As for hardcore sci fi this is a new one - "Unto Leviathan" by Richard Paul Russo.
Philip K. Dick is far too weird to be 'good old-fashioned sci-fi'. Try Larry Niven for that. 'The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton' and 'The Patchwork Girl' are classic sci-fi, being, essentially,top class adventure/crime stories of the future. Dick *is* great though.
I like the sound of that Geoff Ryman one. Dick? Weird? I've mainly read some of his shorts, as well as "Do Androids Dream..." - remember him being more funny than weird, but maybe my reacquaintance will prove me wrong... :-) * P * :-)

Ryman's book was recently reprinted in the Sci Fi masterworks series even though it aint that old. Cack cover though, my copy's better. Classic Sci Fi is in the eye of the beholder - or reader. The weirder the better I reckon. Dick's last books (Valis etc), when he was right off his head are pretty weird. Either that or he knew something we don't. (Probably not though).
I think I mainly read DIck's earlier stuff... which may explain the relative lack of weirdity...? :-) * P * :-)

Given up on 'Now Wait for Last Year' - it's just not doing it for me. However... Josiedog: I popped into the libary yesterday, just to have a gander, and what should be sitting there on the New Books shelf, virtually shouting 'Read me! Read me!'...? 'The Child Garden'! That new version you were on about. Naturally, I saw this as a sign and got it out. Just read the intro at the mo, as I'm finishing Rich Hall's 'Things Snowball' (which I've been reading on and off for about six months), but I like it's style so far... It feels like the sort of book a female SF writer would write, you know what I mean...? :-) * P * :-)

Hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it, but you're dead right: i could imagine Ursula LE Guin coming up with it. And it's not all guns, spaceships and aliens, but, like the best Sci Fi, employs the genre to explore interesting ideas. I've just yanked my own copy (the one with the cool cover, St Paul's and paddy fields) off the shelf for a long overdue flick through..
For good old fashioned SF you might consider: The Great Explosion - Eric Frank Russell Have Spacesuit - Will Travel - Robert Heinlein Gray Lensman - EE Doc Smith most stories by Jack Williamson, Murray Leinster, Henry Kuttner, Stanley G Weinbaum. I am a fan of Dick's stuff. --- If you check out www.baen.com and look for their "free library", you may find something you like that -- certainly go grab Leinster's two books.

Jeff Noon although strictly speaking it's 'cyberpunk' rather than 'sci-fi' DAVID ZINDELL - Neverness and Requiem for Homo Sapiens Trilogy are breathtakingly stunning. I think they are absolute masterpieces. Despite being rather hefty I finished all 4 in a week and literally read night and day...

Vurt by Jeff Noon - blinding. Haven't read any others by him though. Coudn't get on with Neverness but it's still on my shelf. Might give it another go now. "Riddley Walker" by Russell Hoban is often reffered to as Sci -fi. I wouldn't have thought so but it is one of my fave reads ever.
I started Zindell with 'The Broken God' which is easier to get into than 'Neverness'. Once you have the grounding for the world of 'Neverness' through 'Broken God', the prequel is easier! jude visit my boring website http://www.judesworld.net

the Sequel to Vurt, 'Pollen' is very good. Nymphomation the prequel is also very good. I think Cobralingus and pixel juice (short stories/ prose) are better than his other novels, Automated Alice, Needle in the groove and Falling out of cars.

Read most of those Noon ones! Love his work. Don't know what's going on half the time, but beautiful to read. :-) * P * :-) ( Read my blog! - www.oddcourgette.blogspot.com )

kim stanley robinson - the mars trilogy, 3 epic books, well worth investigating
Topic locked