Misheard Song Lyrics

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Misheard Song Lyrics

As someone who mishears alot of things one of my worst habits is mishearing song lyrics. But enough about me, here's a few of my favourites from people I know or knew. These made me laugh at the time and the memories always cause a little fuzzy warm spot to rush my abdomen.

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze: "'scuse me while I kiss this guy." (school friend)
Sting - Illegal Alien: "I'm an alien, I'm a little alien, I'm an english man in new york." (ex g/f)
Scissor Sisters - I don't feel like dancin': "I don't feel like dancin' with that yo-yo in ma face." (wife)
Stranglers - Golden Brown: "Gordon brown, texture like sun." (not sure).

Everyone must have one. You can go through life without sex, money or happiness, but you can't go through life without mishearing a song lyric. Just doesn't happen. It ought to be a universal law. I said ought to be, not should or is.

I guess the most famous one is the Billy Ocean (?) song "When the Going Gets Tough". Most people hear it as '"Go and get stuffed." If you listen hard, Yellow Submarine sounds like Yellow Sumbarine. And I always thought the line in the Neil Diamond song 'I Am... I Said' wasn't "I'm not a man who likes to swear, but I never cared for the sound of being alone", but "I'm not a man who likes to swear, but I never cared for the sound of ELO." (I always rather liked them myself - they did that great song 'Mr Bruce Guy').
I knew someone who thought... Big Mac, fries to go... ... in Pop Will Eat Itself's "Def Con One" was... Big black ricicle... ... Strange but true! (note my extensive use of the now legendary elipses...) ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

www.kissthisguy.com has always been my fave source of misheard song lyrics anecdotes.
google ads: Hendrix Psalty Lyrics Copyright Lyrics Song Jimi Hendrix Shirt I'll have to check that site out. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Foster
Anonymous's picture
For a long time, longer than I should have, I thought The Who were singing 'New Orleans' and not 'Who Are You.' The fact I was living in New Orleans may have helped - there, we pronounce it something like "New Or-lins".
I can't remember the correct title of the Blondie song, but Debbie Harry sings Denise Denee? A sister of mine used to sing 'Beneath the knees!'

When I was a kid my mum used to play Robert Palmer's 'Addicted to Love' a lot on car journeys. I thought the lyric was 'Miners wear faces, you're addicted to love', but I felt this was odd and didn't quite make sense, so I asked her if this was what he was saying. Unfortunately, she thought I said 'Might as well face it...', and so agreed that I was right. So I carried on thinking it was 'Miners' etc for a few years on...
Haha Byrne - I never thought of that eventuality. When I was very small I thought, 'Memories don't leave like people do,' was 'Henry don't leave like people do.' God knows why. Seem to remember it causing much mirth at my expense everytime they played the bloody thing at family parties. Later on, Food for Thought by UB40 and Babushka by Kate Bush had everyone at school trying to work out the lyrics. ~ www.fabulousmother.com
Funny peps, my wife used to think it was "big black bicycle." I feel a bit silly saying this one but does to way back to when I was a kid. Paul MCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas", I thought was "Zippy's havin. a wonderful christmas time." I watched rainbow. ;0/ Oh! Now I've gone back to my childhood...I'm swimming in saturated memories. I used to think Five Stars "Systematic" was "Sister Matic." And I asked my sister who she thought sister matic was. Funny, looking at that now it's more likely to be some washing machine brand than a person like a nun or something. Billy Joel. Well, he was the first artist that I idolised...so I never got his wrong because I used to sit and read his lyrics constantly. Billy Joel? Why Billy Joel? And shakin stevens I loved too. Now...that's just brought back a memory...Agadoo...Black lace. I was still positive that he sang "The lovely beach in the sky, the moon like a Y," until my wife, one night, when we were pissed probably, said "why the fuck would the beach be in the sky and the moon like a Y? Think about it moron." And I thought about it and, no, it felt right back then because I was a kid and beaches in skies and moons like Y's were easily assembled in the imagination...why WOULD I question the lyrics? But now..ah...that night we returned and we went on the internet and we found out what he really sings and do you know - it has NEVER registered...I knew what it was..I read it on a webpage and I went "Ah right! That's what he sings..lol..that makes sense now." But I've forgotten! I've forgotten, and when I sing it to myself sometimes (I do , yes, once in a while) I still put that beach in the sky or the moon like a Y otherwise it wouldn't be that song anymore..it doesn't sound right. In fact, I used to mumble my way through the lyrics of songs because I was more interested in the melody. The melody moved me to emotions that I'd never felt before...bugger the lyrics, they were too constricting..I wanted to fly and the emotional rollercoaster ride of rhythm and melody took me there. I was 5, I wasn't interested in "my baby" or fucking strange perms and babysham...my mum did shit like that. I wanted colour...the colour of steve's green door, the exciting, soaring vision of 99 red balloons and the beach in the sky of agadoo...I was superman. The worst part of the agadoo song was my ability to make up words. After "the moon like a Y," he sings "The rocker lips so sorrupt." The rocker lips so sorrupt. It has ALWAYS been the rocker lips so surrupt. Agadoo is not agadoo without the rocker lips so sorrupt. It made sense to me then. I used to sing that loudly and proudly on dance floors at weddings and other family get-togethers. Failing any of those, at a xmas party definately. Anybody used to go to parents' works kids' parties? What does sorrupt mean? I don't know whether it exists and I've never checked. Sorrupt is what the rockers lips were...that's it. Here's the proper lyric with the beach and the moon:- The lovely beach, in the sky the moon of Kauai Around calypso sarong we'll all be singin' this song So..the beach was in the sky! How the hell am I most supposed to see the fucking comma because there's no break in the vocal. There should have another comma after sky. And it still wouldn't have made the slightest difference because he melted his poetry around the melody...the part of the arrangement I listened to. Calypso sarong. Well, calypso was a fooking still fruit drink in those days. Or you could put them in the freezer. So 'Calypso sarong', would have had me more confused than a rocker lips so sorrupt. I mean, the moon was like a Y, why couldn't the rocker lips so fuckin sorrupt? So I know the lyrics now but I'll never sing 'em like that. Sister Matik will always be a kind little nun, every xmas I never forget to spare a thought for zippy, who's having a wonderful time, and it will always make perfect sense to me how the moon could come to look like a Y. I had no interests in sarongs or kauai. These songs were meant for the holidaying youth of the country returning with romantic memories of their sun soaked 7 days of sangria and marble stairs. But I still danced to 'em. Their kauai was majorca...mine was a beach in the sky....so fuckin what...mine sounds better! :) It's true, we change the lyrics of songs and perceive the meanings to suit or our own generation or circumstances, identity. When Whitney Houston was crooning "didn't we almost have it all," to my mother and father, I was 15. When I was 15 me, and another couple thousands kids were singing "didn't we almost have it off." Because we were, goddam it. We were almost having it off. At poorly prepared houseparties advertised hurriedly on the grapevine at 5.30pm friday afternoon because matthew castle has just found out that his mum and dad are going to 'friends' for the night. A hi-fi, 10-20 bottles of cider, few lads and a shit-load of the year's biggest slags. That made the school house parties roll. We were almost having it off. The more popular lads WERE having it off so that song fell from their repetoire...they embraced 'like a virgin' or something a little more raunchy like salt n pepper. AH! Now we were entering a period in popular music where you quite innocently didnt have a clue what some artists were singing. It's worse today because a lot of artists (not naming any names, pointing any fingers) DO make up their own words and they invent words that develop attitude and popular culture but noone knows what the fuck they are. "Fizzle to the jizzle." Those words...I can immediately draw a mental profile of a person. There are thousands of words out there now that are a part of a culture and an identity thats own members do not know the meaning of. When her milkshake brought all the boys to the yard I envisioned a modest proprieter of a small mobile sandwich/burger van who made great milkshakes. I'm told that this is not what it means...but it couldn't be more clear. That's what she sings. I've checked. But no...I now hear lyrics...but I still don't know what they mean. It's because I'm getting out of step with the culture that I used to feel so proud of and happy with. My youth culture. The days when music just didn't change my outlook on the world and my identity but music had the power to change the world for good...and for the better. Age deals successive blows to the ego and the creative self. If I let go of those little worlds I created when young, if I no longer allow zippy his wonderful xmas or believe that sister matick is out there somewhere never getting it up (that's what they sing isn't it) then I've lost some of my most vivid memories. Memories of my first introductions to popular music. The very first moments that I realised that music was my life. Or - let's be honest here...music was the soundtrack to my life because I wasn't mature enough then to know that I wasn't in fact the centre of the universe. Life was still a movie. The most recent is: She's a man eater make you sweat hard make you work hard make you wanna buy a bun-galow Could anyone tell me what she does sing because experience tells me it may not have a been a bungalow? There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

Dennett

Do you guys ever get a chance to write?

Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad Moon Rising" "There's a bathroom on the right" I saw John Fogerty last summer, he sings it that way on purpose now just to confirm the myth. He pointed the neck of his guitar at the porto-pots to stage-right and emphasized it during that song. He probably asked them to set the toilets there for that very reason. Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

I think Yan was stoned again! Did you forget where you were, Yan? ;-) (what a lovely, long, nostalgia-soaked post, though!) ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

And by the way, waddafuk's... aye-aye-aye-aye-moochy! ...all about? ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Eh? Just remembered one: "we've got to rinse those microwave ovens..." I wondered why they rinsed them and didn't just give them a quick wipe down. Mova mova! There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

Dennett

My daughter sings: "Bob the builder, have a biscuit." There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

Dennett

I'm listening to Moby's James Bond theme after three-and-a-half Buds... Bring out the Vodka Martinis, baby!!! *** ahem *** ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

I got Lily Allen's ear-guff wrong, too. Thought it was "It makes me whi-i-ine, oh it makes me whi-i-ine, yeah it makes me whi-i-ine." Apparently, though, it makes me smi-i-ile. No it doesn't. It makes me vomit.
Ahh, I like Lily Allen, she's lovely, leave the lass alone... :-( ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

I would - if she could sing. It's horrible. Still... I 'spec it's good for 'er men'al elf.
But she's so cu-u-ute'n'lovely & can 'old a tune betta than most! ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

http://www.freewebs.com/michaeljamestreacy/index.htm Silly soul song from the seventies, sung by 4 black blokes doing a silly dance... song was called, 'Soul City Walking'. I swear they were singing, 'So Silly Walking'.

Nah, mate. She's a chavvy girl with a whine. Two-a-penny around here. Now, KT Tunstall, now....
Sorry, bored of KT... :-/ ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

But what about this lass... http://uk.askmen.com/women/singer_200/217_fergie.html ...? Barrimba!! ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Oh and Barrimba! http://www.students.dsu.edu/gardnerb/New_Folder/Fergie.jpg :-) ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Corinne Bailey Rae? Guess my favourite would have to be KD Lang. Shame she never really seemed to have the songs, though. Apart from 'Constant Gravy'.
Corinne Bailey Rae? No, Fergie...! You not seeing Fergie? ~PEPS~ You can’t finish a man till he’s finished his Texan Bar

Topic locked