Another Study to State the Obvious

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Another Study to State the Obvious

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070220/ts_alt_afp/uschildrensex_070220135757

Well, gee whiz, who would have guessed? And they report it like it's a 'new' discovery. Nitwits.

Ten years ago, I tried to explain to a [male] friend just exactly *why* I loathed the Spice Girls so much: the short skirts, slapper makeup, stupid, insipid lyrics, the stereotypes.

"Yeah, but it's all about Girl Power, innit?" he said, clearly not getting my point.

Girl Power? Actually, women do have the ability to predict the future. They know the instant they meet you if you're going to get any sex later that night. Thus, the short skirts and slapper makeup I presume. I think I'll switch back to blue jeans and tee-shirts. It aint working. Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

are the images really 'Inescapable'? Why is it I haven't noticed these images in the media... except perhaps the 'skool disco' club night adverts. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

It would be interesting to know who funded this study, not merely who conducted it or released it. There is always an agenda behind these things. Still, if it keeps someone's hobby horse rocking, I guess it serves a purpose. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
mmm.. um...did someone mention an article? Men prefer slim, good looking women. If the opposite was the case, there'd be fatty ming-mings in the media. And no doubt someone would be moaning about it. Although, I must say, can't stand make-up on a woman. make-up looks a bit deranged to me. It's weird putting all that coloured shit on your face...I think it's a sign of mental instability. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

Two things: 1. "School performance can also suffer. In one experiment cited, college-aged women were asked to try on and evaluate either a swim suit or a sweater. While they waited for 10 minutes while wearing the garment, they completed a math test. "The results revealed that young women in swimsuits performed significantly worse ... than those wearing sweaters. No difference were found for young men."" Does anything strike you as weird there? 2. Have a look at the article. Have a nice long look. Look at the photo that accompanies it. Click on it, so it's nice and big. It's a photo of some women who pose for Playboy magazine photographs' bums. Not heads, or legs. The focal point of the picture is bums. Doh! On the subject of make-up: Yan, I think you're just jealous that you can't change your appearance so radically at will and then erase the changes so completely. Ooooo, isn't it so difficult to trust a creature so changeable? Rather the freedom of make-up than the stodge of the mundane, I say. Cheers, Mark

"Does anything strike you as weird there?" Young men in swimsuits. wtf. srsly.
"2. Have a look at the article. Have a nice long look. Look at the photo that accompanies it. Click on it, so it's nice and big. It's a photo of some women who pose for Playboy magazine photographs' bums. Not heads, or legs. The focal point of the picture is bums." I think this is the point, not whether the study was conducted by fetishists. I'm no sexual prude, mind, but I think Mary Whitehouse had some points about sexuality and the media (not many, yes, but some). My main gripe is that most of the sexuality that is used in adverts, music vids, etc. is pointless and far removed from any kind of context where sexuality is *actually* necessary in the depiction. Contextual sexuality is fine if it delineates a theme; otherwise, it's a bit like a Scorsese film: violence for the sake of violence; sex for the sake of sex. Kids are rather susceptible to media influences (I ripped holes in all of my clothes after watching 'Flashdance'). If female sexuality is forever portrayed as either lacking any agency of its own (eg women in g-strings being fondled by gangstas in a video), or, on the other hand, predatory in nature, girls of a certain age won't know where their personal boundaries should be. If male sexuality was portrayed in the same way and with the same volume (in terms of exposure time, so to speak) things might be different. But it's the same old lopsidedness, dressed up as women's 'sexual liberation'. Bugs me, it does.
"I ripped holes in all of my clothes after watching 'Flashdance'" I came in my pants after watching porky's. There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

So, it's up to us to dictate the morals and images that somebody should follow, not the media...right? Children aren't consenting adults...if you don't want your kid to grow up to be a stripper, teach them differently. If it involves cutting the cord on the television, don't hesitate. On the other hand, if a grown adult woman wants to have her ass photographed, she can drop me a line...I have a lot of cameras. Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

My mother made herself a ‘cocktail dress’ when she was about fifteen. She had to make do with navy blue because she was considered too young to wear black. My twelve year old daughter wears what’s in the shops. The clothes on offer are, pretty much, smaller versions of teenage/adult clothes. Not sure what to do about that. I would put my foot down if she attempted to go out looking like a complete tart though, obviously. Luckily for now, Ellie is very much in-line with Pink’s ‘Stupid Girl’ view of things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vxEu5JPCBs God bless Pink. ~ www.fabulousmother.com
mark, I was going to mention the swimsuit thing myself, wondering if perhaps the boys were in bikinis or one-piece suits. Moreover, this "study" was not original research. It was someone's "survey" of 60+ studies conducted by others, some of which might have been surveys themselves. The swimsuit experiment sounds like something a bunch of jr high school kids created as a joke. The whole thing smells like a bunch of political correctness crap. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
Spoken like a man with no experience of being a woman, clearly. 2Lou, I love Pink as well. In some ways she's the perfect media role model for today's teenager: mouthy, talented, attractive without cosmetic enhancements, hates her parents, and intelligently media-savvy. As the mother of a boy AND a girl, I worry about the teenage years lying ahead, and what sort of rubbish I'm going to have to keep an eye out for. I was horribly susceptible to media influences and got very little guidance from my own mum as to what was appropriate or not. So I had to figure it out through experience, much of which was unpleasant and involved lots of boundary issues in terms of person and self-esteem. I wouldn't wish it on either of my kids.
"Yan, I think you're just jealous that you can't change your appearance so radically at will and then erase the changes so completely." Like the incredible hulk? I'd learned all about changing my appearance so radically at will by age 10 - my parents never prevented me from becoming obssessed with Michael Jackson. I'd already plucked my eyebrows, wore mascara and learned how to dust my cheekbones before I started puberty. :) lol There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

"Spoken like a man with no experience of being a woman, clearly." I should hope not. If you want a man with experience as a woman, you'll have to call...oh maybe Eddie Izzard..who described once himself as a lesbian inside a man's body. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
"If male sexuality was portrayed in the same way and with the same volume (in terms of exposure time, so to speak) things might be different. But it's the same old lopsidedness, dressed up as women's 'sexual liberation'." I don't think male sexuality is portrayed in a very neutral, nervous-teen friendly way. Rather than an 'ideal' body shape, what comes across more often than not is a rule of 'you've either got it, or you haven't'. And if the girls aren't already swarming over you, don't try to rectify that - male attempts at seduction are usually portrayed as rather pathetic.
"...male attempts at seduction are usually portrayed as rather pathetic." I would agree, Jack; perhaps that 'have or have not' goes hand-in-hand with the OTT women's sexuality, although with the male 'have-nots' the portrayal is at least made comical, rather than as an reason to purchase an expensive face cream or have breast implants. I dunno. It's a very complex issue, and something of a chicken-and-egg as to whether the media reflects a certain cultural zeitgeist, or if the zeitgeist is created by the media. It certainly runs a lot deeper and is potentially more harmful than many of the current 'PC' complaints.
'a' reason, I should have said...
I'm not a parent, but I can't see how parents these days can possibly totally prevent their kids from from been assaulted by the barrage of sexual imagery and sexually-charged advertising. It's on TV, billboards, magazines, the Internet... what are they supposed to do, lock 'em in a darkened room until they turn 18? I agree it's gone a bit haywire these days... it's even on adverts for glasses and yoghurt! Not sure what can be done, though... Education? Ramming it into the kids' heads that it's all fantasy, false hopes and unrealistic expectations? I admire all you parents out there who have to deal with these issues... pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)
Topic locked