Equal Prize Money At Windlebom.

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Equal Prize Money At Windlebom.

I still can't get my head around why women will get equal prize money at Wimbledon, when they will only play best of three sets. The Women's Tennis Federation say that they would only be too happy to play best of five sets, and it's not good enough for the committee to say that there wouldn't be time. Great, let's have 3 weeks of Wimbledon. Christ it's only once a year. And don't anyone bang on about women not having the same sort of stamina as men, tell that to Paula Radcliffe.

The reason I mention this is, that there's a cracker of a women's match going on at the moment between Jelena Jankovitch (6) and Marion Bartoli (23) and Jankovitch is in trouble. It's 1 set all and Jankovitch is down in the 3rd and FINAL set. I WANT 5 SETS PLEASE! Bartoli I've never seen or heard of before but she reminds me of Monica Seles the way she wellies the ball two handed from both sides. (Oh I've just heard, Bartoli's won it.)

I used to play 7 days a week, and to club standard, but had to retire due to arthritic knees.

I'd give my right arm to play tennis again.

Mr McEnroe reckons he could still beat any woman. At tennis, that is. Thoughts? pe ps oid Blogs! "the art of tea" "that's an odd courgette"

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

He's just been interviewed by Sue Barker, herself a French Open champion for those that don't realise what an extremely good player she was. He thought that he might struggle against Venus Williams in the sort of form she's in at the moment. I think she's playing Ana Ivanovitch next who's such a beautiful young woman, yes physically, but when interviewed seems so innocent and naive. Unlike some of them who are so up their own arses. In a way I hope that Venus wins so that I can fully support Justine Henin. Venus has won it three times and Justin looks a much more all round player, with that wonderful classic backhand, so reminiscent of mine. That's not bragging it's just observation. Everyone said that's the best backhand I've ever seen. I used to hit the ball on a topspin drive not from side to side of the racket face, but from the base to the top of the racket face. But I had to hit is as hard as I could or the ball would hit my side of the court before it hit the net. I once caused a coach to drop her racket when I hit one of those. I heard her exclaim "shit!" You'll excuse me in my reverie.

Henin has no neck so perhaps she could use the prize money to buy one. I really don't like her although I don't know how I develop such antipathy to someone I don't know. She is very peculiar though. She is best of being locked away in a padded room hitting a ball against a wall. Venus and Serena are lovely!

Venus comes across as being lovely - Serena is anything but serene. But having watched the unutterable tosh that was the women's final, how can they think they're worth the equal prize money of £750,000 for winning the title. Now it's unequal. Having watched the men's final and two players who are equal, Nadal having the edge on clay, Federer the edge on grass courts, I was on the edge - of my seat. I thought Nadal was going to - um edge it. But make women play the best of five sets, I certainly think that Henin would have turned around her semi-final against the ever so slightly chubby Marion Bartoli, if they had played the best of five. And then you'd have seen a better final. Oh agree with you Drew about Henin, but most of us tennis players are odd.

If it's a time issue, ditch mixed doubles... is anyone interested in mixed doubles? pe ps oid Blogs! "the art of tea" "that's an odd courgette"

Yes.

Yes I love the rat-a-tat that you get at the net, which you only get now in doubles and mixed doubles. The singles game has changed so much because of racket technology, you rarely get forays to the net. Mind you I do love to see a couple of guys slugging it out from the back of the court. Oooh and I love the rain breaks because we get to see old matches. Especially THAT tie-break. Class!

Okay then... :-/ pe ps oid Blogs! "the art of tea" "that's an odd courgette"

Peeps. you're being obscure. Do you have a drink problem? I do - I can't afford it.

Obscurity is a cheesy waffle... :) pe ps oid Blogs! "the art of tea" "that's an odd courgette"

Where can I buy them Peeps?

Styx, my good chum, one does not buy cheesy waffles, one makes them! :) pe ps oid Blogs! "the art of tea" "that's an odd courgette"

How?

Cook (grill, whatever) some waffles... add cheese... et voila! :) pe ps oid Blogs! "the art of tea" "that's an odd courgette"

Topic locked