Mondegreens & Eggcorns.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mondegreens & Eggcorns.

I've hoiked this from Saturday's Guardian. Mondegreens are mishearings of songs. Eggcorns are misheard malapropisms. A mondegreen is The Beach Boys 'Help Me Rhonda' - "Well since she put me down, there's been owls puking in my bed." An eggcorn would be 'not for the screamish.' A younger sister of mine insisted upon singing to the tune of Blondie's 'Denis' 'Beneath the knees.' Mind you she is certifiably crackers!

We had this one some years back - but my mis-hearing is the Verve song, which as far I'm concerned, goes 'well, the trucks don't work...' - and even though I know it's wrong it still sounds like that to me!
For weeks I thought Arcade Fire were singing 'there's a retard living in a Whitehouse.' Apparently it was actually 'resurrected living in a lighthouse.' I liked my version better.

"Our fodder-wart in heaven, Harold be thy name." "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
I used to think, when Van Morrison was singing "I've got a home on high" in "Astral Weeks", he was actually singing "I've got a hormone high". Well, he is Irish and it was the sixties.
Not quite a song lyric, but . . . The late great George Melly was famously deaf in his later years. "Oh dear, I'm most dreadfully sorry," he said to a lady who told him after a gig that she'd been in Uxbridge for four years. He thought she'd said Auschwitz.
I'm an alien I'm a little alien.. I'm an englishman in new york When the power of love overcomes the love of power, we'll find peace. - Jimi Hendrix

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

Topic locked