Watchmen Film

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Watchmen Film

I'm not really big on graphic novels but I remember fondly reading Watchmen several years ago and it still stands as one of the finest works of literature I've ever read. So I ask, anyone as excited about the film as I am? not sure if the trailer is playing in the UK, but it has an intoxicating slow version of Smashing Pumkin's The Beginning is The End of The Beginning.

It's by the man who did 300, and while zack snyder's last film wasn't exactly mindblowing it was as true as any adaptation to the source. so here's hoping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU

link to trailer for those who haven't seen it.

and here's also hoping they eventually put out a trailer for Cormac McCarthy's The Road, damn I've been waiting long enough. lol.

not sure what that little ending bit from the trailer is...hmm...

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

Despite my friends taking every opportunity to correct me on my obviously skewed tastes, I didn't like 300, in fact I hated it. All Style, no substance. If Watchman is the same, I'll probably not enjoy that either. Then again, I don't worship the comic as a masterpiece of literature either.
Sorry I expressed my opinion. I never said I worshiped it. I just think its a fantastic novel. Have you read the graphic novel? Not only is it #13 on the top 100 books of past century (time magazine list), but just about every national book reviewer has praised it. It's more than a comic, its a mediation on the hysteria and paranoia of war and the good and evils of humanity. I never said 300 was a good movie. it was decent. but it was exactly like the comic that inspired it.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you. Each to their own. I know I like a lot of crap that others say is crap but I think is good and vice versa. I'm just a little tired of being told that I'm wrong when I say I don't like such and such critically aclaimed media property. The amount of crap I got when I saw 300 and said I didn't like it was stupid, same with Sin City.
yeah, people too often mistake style as substance. however I again gotta toss at ya for sin city. course I grew up loving the old noir and sin city was such a throwback to them that I had to love it. I do think you'll enjoy watchmen (at least more than SC and 300). It's far more cerebral and less focused on action and slow motion. That said, at least you'll laugh your ass off at the horribly cheesy sex scene.

I am a big fan of the graphic novel (and Alan Moore's other works - he wrote 'From Hell', 'V For Vendetta' and 'The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen' amongst others). He won't allow his name to be put to any of the films as he was completely disappointed with the way bothe 'From Hell' and 'League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen' were made. Both these movies are nothing at all like the books. In fact, the movies are so different, they shouldn't be called by the same names as the graphic novels. Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I saw the movie and was not disappointed. I could have turned around, gone back into the cinema and watched it again. If I had to rate it, I'd give it 4.5 out of 5. I think Alan might even like this interpretation although he is known to be particularly persnickety so who knows. I also enjoyed '300' and absolutely loved 'Sin City' (again, having read a number of the graphic novels prior to seeing the movie). I am looking forward to 'Sin City 2' when it comes out as well.

Topic locked