Novel? Perchance.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Novel? Perchance.

I've been thinking lately, I wish to write a novel, but I'm not really sure about what. Whether it be something adherent to personal experience, or some fantasy I may conjure from this cranium of mine, I haven't a clue what.. So I night help. Should I start this novel, after a bit of planning, I do suppose? Or wait a bit? Needing help.

chasing.parked.cars.

Don't wait for ideas - it never works. Just get writing and see what happens. It'll need editing later but at least you'll have a feel for the story.

Yes, go for it, you're a bit young, but why not start now. One bit of advice though, try to avoid words like "perchance" - it will just annoy anyone reading it. I'm normally a peace loving individual, but that word to me is like red kryptonite to the man in the underwear.

Try throwing in Submarine by ABC's very own Joe Dunthorne to your reading list. And then write, write, write. Try writing several first chapters, see what comes out, see what you like. Then edit, redraft, edit, post it on here, see what reception it gets. Simples!
Chasing-parked-cars, My advice (for what it's worth) is don't wait. Start writing and let the process dictate a bit. I think you might be surprised at what starts to appear on the page/screen. In the past simply choosing a 'thing' in the broadest sense has worked for me. Cram the description with persuasion for the reader. Or alternatively, write a first paragraph with the aim of creating the best hook you can, then get an unsuspecting soul to read it cold and then ask if they would like to read the next one. If they are lefti craving more your onto a good thing and keep it going.

I found an article by Randy Ingermanson on using his snowflake method a great help when I decided to start writing a novel - it may help you too:)http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php
One of the best pieces of advice that I was given was: write, write, and then write some more! The most important thing is to get your words down on paper (so to speak) – you can change, tweak, move, add or remove during an editing process. When I wrote my first completed manuscript, I had ideas for the beginning and the end with a very vague idea about some events in the middle. I started writing and I was off – the rest kind of filled in itself (and actually took on a life of it own!). I also agree with Fatboy and Blighters – nothing turns a reader off than a string of long pretentious words (well, it does me anyway!). If it’s something you really want to do… go for it! It is one of the most rewarding things you can do and it helps you to find your writing 'voice' early. But be warned – it is a much bigger commitment than some people think, so just be prepared for that and stick with it. Good luck to you.
Incidentally, I was your age when I first started writing. I even started a ‘novel’ – it didn’t come to anything, but it gave me writing experience and practice. So don’t worry about still being young – just go for it!
Topic locked