W.G. Sebald's Writing Tips

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
W.G. Sebald's Writing Tips

Here's a great article filled with advice from a writing class taught by W.G. Sebald — the author of Austerlitz — shortly before he died.

There are some real gems in there!

http://richardskinner.weebly.com/2/post/2013/01/max-sebalds-writing-tips...

Thankyou for posting this link. The content is tantalising in as much that it comprises incomplete student notation on the class. Somehow my attention to detail was heightened by that 'weakness'. I wonder what Seballd meant by this?: "Exaggeration is the stuff of comedy."

That, and quite a few of these tips, really, comes across as a bit cryptic —he says the same thing about the present tense — but I suppose that exaggeration is one of the main engines of satire. I don't think that means it's out of place in good prose writing (or poetry, for that matter), but it probably is something one should be careful with — it's hard to know when excessive detail will pass over that fine line between perceptive insight and the absurd. Then again, sometimes the silliness of exaggeration adds to the effect — as in the majority of David Foster Wallace's stuff. I really take his take on setting to heart: 'A sense of place distinguishes a piece of writing. It may be a distillation of different places, but there must be a very good reason for not describing place.'
Yes, that snippet seems an important pointer to writing. If there is no sense of place then the reader is left with not much to steer by.

Well, I think it should be a comfort that Sebald knows what he is doing, at any rate.

Natalia :)