to rhyme ... or not to rhyme

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
mark yelland-brown
Anonymous's picture
I believe that all good poetry has music and rythm in it and rhyme isn't a problem unless it detracts from the integrity of the poem. Sometimes keeping within a form can be a good poetic exercise but I think it's very hard to create a poem of depth in simple rhyme without turning it into a parody. Because of centuries of strict form, by poets who were able to stretch it to the limit and still write classic poetry, modern poets are wary and there is now a certain self consiousness about purely rhyming poetry as if the poet 's use of rhyme now is an integral part of the message of the poem rather than just a vehicle, if you get my drift? I think I do! To those `poets` who write cliche ridden birthday card rhymes, I fervently believe you should have never listened to that cynical horror who once said in a fit of malicious intent that you have the writing gift! Having got that off my chest I now bow to the inevitable detracters. love Markxxxxx
my name is salm...
Anonymous's picture
rhyme...yeah.
Robert
Anonymous's picture
Personally, I think rhyming poetry is good, so long as the rhymes are neither forced, obvious or contrived, in which case it just gets my goat. But that's just me, and I'm no expert.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Do I detect an air of hostility?
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
And your comments are just about as lucid and interesting as your books!
fey
Anonymous's picture
Mississipi, you do not (well, you might, but you'd be wrong)
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I'm glad to hear it! I've already OD'd on pretence so I'll pass thanks, anyway anyone who's seen my meagre offerings will know roughly which camp I fall into.
the rushdie str...
Anonymous's picture
yeah thanks. im actually starting to think you are a whining bitch. and im sure im not alone in that thought.
auntie jackie
Anonymous's picture
Hi Muzzy, Why have you wished me happy burfday. Sorry, if I'm a bit thick but I don't understand!! AJ
fey
Anonymous's picture
Mississippi I have a horrid feeling you're just being gentlemanly
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I'm glad you said that AJ because I don't understand either, I thought I must have missed something and I would have sent you a card!
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I think I'm losing the plot on this one already! What the hell are you talking about Mark?

Pages

Topic locked