Where are you?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Where are you?

I'm fairly new to this site and it's a brilliant thing indeed. But one thing puzzles me: where in this country (or outside of it) are people writing from? I'm really curious. Just the geographical location will do. But if you want to add anything, well, be my guest.
P.S. I'm writing from Derbyshire (edge of the Peak District). There, I've showed you mine...

starliz
Anonymous's picture
In the heart of Herefordhire. The Latin tag which is the motto of the county translates roughly as "this fair land is the gift of God." Wonderful. And I speak as a Londoner born and bred.
iceman
Anonymous's picture
During daylight week time, London; after dark and at weekends the County Borough Of Southend-on-Sea
callum_mooney
Anonymous's picture
Hi Pete, welcome aboard. I'm in Glasgow, sheltering in a smelly cave from the rain...
markbrown
Anonymous's picture
Deptford, South East London...
Thread
Anonymous's picture
i'm here - rainy Hastings where the battle wasn't fought. I used to live in Derbyshire, it was always misty even in summer.
martin_t
Anonymous's picture
in sunny clapton in east london...
Tom Saunders
Anonymous's picture
Oxfordshire.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
London
Liana
Anonymous's picture
sometimes (right now) in Lincilnshire sometimes (in a few days) in the Czech Republic
Liana
Anonymous's picture
they throw me out of lincolnsire occasionally because my spelling is dreadful.
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
But your poetry rocks so they let you back in again.... I'm in snooty Berkshire, where even the dogs walk with their noses in their air. I hasten to add, I do not...
Liana
Anonymous's picture
hahahaha i cant even spell it right on the 2nd attempt.... and wolf, you are too kind :o)
chooselife
Anonymous's picture
Reading, the less snooty part of Berkshire. Though we do now have a plethora of coffee shops: Starbucks, Costa, Coffee Republic, Aroma, so someone's got loads of disposable cash. Endless mugs of mocchachinos on offer here, fish.
markbrown
Anonymous's picture
My local coffee shop and by extension study and writing place is Revival on Deptford High Street. It's got an art gallery in the basement which is nice and a lovely back garden with a grave stone and the friendliest sparrows in the world. The coffee is also very strong and very nice.
Thread
Anonymous's picture
what do you think the next big thing from those versatile coffee machines could be? They haven't got onto malts yet I notice. How about Bournvitaccino.
chooselife
Anonymous's picture
Costa now do a malted chocolate-coffee frozen thingy. It costs about £400 quid a mug.
Thread
Anonymous's picture
oh yes, I'd forgotten that things move slowly where I live. We've only had cappuccino a few years. These fancy drinks are expensive. You could buy a secondhand encyclopoedia or a pair of good hold-ups for the cost of a caffee latte and burnt lips.
markbrown
Anonymous's picture
cappuccino, espresso, normal, all the rest are just marketing. I want my coffee to be coffee not some confection that wouldn't look out of place at a childrens birthday party.
Pete
Anonymous's picture
Because I get migraines (began in 1995) I can no longer drink anything like coffee and tea. I can't, however, say no to carrpacheeno (spoken in foreign accent). rather than being a sign of maturity and sophistication, cappucino is more like a coffee flavoured milkshake for those who still hanker after childhood. Mmmmm, lovely stuff. I'll riska migraine for it, anyday. Yes, you too can sit out on the local High Street with your mug in hand, and fight off a sensation of pure disbelief that you're not in Verona. Pure sophistication! And thread, misty is a such a nice way of saying 'boggy and wet.' You made my home town sound very Keats indeed.
Thread
Anonymous's picture
I used to live near Matlock Bath which was once a fashionable spa. Unusually melancholic (miserable), ivy-ridden and romantic . Derbyshire didn't have a great effect on my moods though.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Amsterdam...but not in the Red Light. Shame, that...
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Can confirm Andrea is ex-Red Light as I checked everyone! Chelmsford Essex.
fish
Anonymous's picture
near leicester ... and i have my own espresso machine so dont need to worry ...
Vicky
Anonymous's picture
Surrey (a not posh part) and I always worry... even if i don't need to...
moya_
Anonymous's picture
Tamworth -where the Manifesto came from - go on you must have heard of that - didn't you do GSCE History?
funky_seagull
Anonymous's picture
I come from the moon
zyv
Anonymous's picture
I come from the mountains. Does that not make us equals? I am currently in Trelleck, Wales, four trillion light years by bicycle from the nearest Starbucks, although only three miles by car.
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
Well, my parents live in Tintern, zyv...not very far from you at all.....Do you remember the 'Big Cat' scare in the neighbourhood recently?
zyv
Anonymous's picture
Snap! My parents used to live in Tintern, or just outside it, at the top of the Catbrook Road. I do indeed remember the big cat scare, Wolfgirl, although a school friend of the boy who started the rumour reckons he is ... how shall I put this? .... not the most truthful person in the world. The jury is still out on that one!
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
Good stuff for a story there.... My sister runs the antique shop in Tintern..... I used to run the youth club and the other antique shop... Another rumour started this year that some guy had his dog eaten by a crocodile...enough said!
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Thread - does Matlock still get four hundred bikers every Sunday? I used to go camping there quite a lot, and it was always a shock to see what is a quaint Derbyshire town suddenly full of Harleys and Dennis Hopper lookalikes.
Fred-a
Anonymous's picture
I haven't returned to Matlock , or Matlock Bath for a couple of years. I would guess the bikes still turn up. Living there and maybe taking it for granted after a couple of years, greatly reduced it's quaintness. Once you got to know a few people it could seem very very decadent indeed.
Topic locked