Is exploitation ever right?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is exploitation ever right?

I was thinking... if someone was in a situation where they really really wanted a particular job.. would be prepared to do it for nothing or very little, for the chance of being able to work in an area that they loved... would it be exploitation to take them on?

purplehaze
Anonymous's picture
how are they going to live? If they sign on they could lose their benefits if the UBs find out. Are you buying them new shoes when they need them? Do they still live at home so have no overheads - will mum and dad be stuck paying their poll tax forever? Do they just need some first job experience? Is it prince harry? need more info but generally, unless it's a voluntary org and everyone else is in the same boat, it's veering towards exploitation I'd say...unless they are competent shop lifters and have a decent squat trying to think of something I'd do for nothing.... ...count my lottery winings perhaps....
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Wouldn't it be worse not to take them on, and end up giving the job to someone for whom the pay was what they could reasonably expect for their skills and qualifications but whose heart was not in it ? Plenty of people do work for charity. It is exploitation if the employer was making money out of them, could pay them and chooses not to, relying instead on their enthusiasm; but provided both are fair and straight with each other, why not?
s.d
Anonymous's picture
No definelty not. If the person is happy with the arrangement then it is all good. I would work for nothing, eh and like i do work for nothing. It sounds all good if thats what the person wants.
s.d
Anonymous's picture
I justb tried to delet that post but it came up. what it should have said was. this situation doesn't sound like exploitation as if this is what the person is wanting to do then it is ok.
Topic locked