Idea Factory

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Idea Factory

After re-joining the gym, I've realized the thing I loved most about going. As I zone on the tortuous machines, I can dream lucidly, and I come up with the best ideas. My writing journal has had little action for the last few months. But I need to get it out, as the weird and wonderful ideas are flowing again!

What strange place do you get your inspiration?

first thing int mornin - my mind expands and becomes a momentary fount of realisation, awakening, and fresh (musical, philosophical and political) ideas. It beats morning nookie. Or - when I'm off my face on drugs. ;) When the power of love overcomes the love of power, we'll find peace. - Jimi Hendrix

~It's a maze for rats to try, it's a race for rats to die.~

I often wake up with an idea in my head - or just some strange little thing sets me off - a sight, a sound, a phrase, a smell. I have so little time for my imagination (big,collective aaahhh) that when I do allow it to poke through the left-brain, anal nonsense it is a real delight. I can't say that I find the gym to be a great place of inspiration. I just sweat, pound and try and get my breath in there.
Mowing the lawn, washing the dishes or ironing seem to work wonders. Basically doing anything repetitive and monotonous that requires no creative input, seems to unlock the creative side of the brain. At least it does for me. And sleep deprivation seems to improve my musical creativity about tenfold. Anyone else notice this in themselves?
Foster
Anonymous's picture
Sometimes, ideas jump at me, whatever I'm doing - just walking to/from work can give lots to write about. Other times they're less forthcoming, and I fall asleep trying to think of something to write about, sometimes I remember them in the moring, sometimes I write a story. But not always. Musical creativity? I've none of that, no matter how little I sleep.
Driving to work is good for me. So much so that I've got a pad of post-it notes on the dashboard in case of emergencies. And I'm with Brooosh on the mowing the lawn thing. I used to have a notepad by the side of the bed, but my wife threatened to shove it up the proverbial if I ever again "switched on the light for no good reason." - I suffer for my art!
45 minute commute to Manhattan via the subway + half awake teenager + Mp3 player = Myriad ideas
Sleep deprivation! Yes, Broosh! Or a stonking hangover... (the two often being connected)... pe ps oid ... What is "The Art of Tea"? ... (www.pepsoid.wordpress.com)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Topic locked