Page 200

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Page 200

Hi all,
I would have continued to witter about my writing in the writing tips forum but all the topics are locked! So even though it is clearly of most interest to me, I have been promising myself that I'd report on ABCTales when I reached page 200 of my current project. Well, landmark reached! Writing this is playing havoc with my short stories.
I do have one secret to share: every morning between about 6 and half past, the kitten we have taken in comes and gets me out of bed by biting either my ear or nose. If it weren't for that mad kitten I would have written much less by now that's for sure. It's nice to know that someone has faith in my writing.... or maybe she just wants her breakfast.
In other news, I managed to set fire to several hectares of woodland the other day - what an idiot! Oh, and to round off a fine few days, QPR got thrashed at home last night!
It seems unlikely now that I am going to spend the rest of my life in a French jail regretting my stupidity, so I'll probably get the chance to finish my novel at liberty. I am very much undecided whether to post any of it on here; I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to that approach. Maybe I'll reconsider as I come to the re-writes.

Kropotkin38, please post a chapter and give us the chance to have a look. You write well, why not? As far as QPR are concerned, it serves them right...for being QPR (no sympathy, I'm an animal Leeds fan : no quarter given or expected in return) and you might consider your forest fire experience as fodder for a short? EA
Well done on the first 200 ... I understand the pain ;-)

I do understand that it is a difficult decision on whether or not to put up a novel in progress. I suggest that you put up the first two or three chapters and appeal for comments. You may well find two or three writers you respect come back to you - and you can then have genuine feedback via email with them - and hopefully improve your book as you go along. I know that both Drew gummerson and spack - both of whom have recently gained excellent publishing deals - put the beginnings of their books on here and it was the feedback received that made them carry on and hone their novels to utter perfection!
Hmm...200's my finishing mark lol. Def got more stamina then I have.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

Hi K Glad to hear that you have been sticking in at the novel. I've ocme to the conclusion that it can't do any harm to put a chapter of the novel on the site. It has to be a personal choice, but the upside is you get helpful feedback. I can't really think of a downside. Good luck with the next 200 pages and keep your matches in your pocket. p.s. Coventy City to go into the next round of the FA Cup, even without a manager. Ray

Ray

Thanks for your comments all, and hi Ray, how was Oz? I have two apparently conflicting pieces of advice: firstly write and write until the first draft is finished and only then re-write, or secondly go back and polish something just enough for a preliminary presentation on this site. I am still uncertain. On reflection I think I do want to share some of the stuff with you guys but I don't think it'd be worth putting up a first draft. I'll see whether I wait a few weeks until the first draft is done, or whether I'll take a break and have a second look at an early chapter for ABCTales before I finish the first manuscript.
Topic locked