Hey Carol Ann, what's your game now....

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey Carol Ann, what's your game now....

I realise that the article below is from the Telegraph, but I think it's a bit much. The writer makes a valid point about the use of cliche in her Christmas offering, but since they go on to admit that Duffy's poetry has always been about everyday language rather than 'poesy' - it's a debatable one.
That's my opinion, what do you think?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/6754189/The-not-a-lot-of-laughs...

Ho ho ho! I did read a quotation from her (must source that or no-one will take me seriously LOL) wherein she said that she did not believe poetry could be written to order. The quote - I believe - was a direct reference to Poets Laureate. Maybe her heart's not in it.
I can imagine it as a spoken word poem, her measured voice as a relentless pounding shellfire. Perhaps that's what she intended? That's what we get from rolling news. The Telegraph piece seems to bemoan a lack of 'and finally' expected in the best tradition of News broadcasts. 'essentially a review of the year without the jolly bits, like winning The Ashes' Hmnn!

These 'pronouncements on the war in Afghanistan, climate change, corrupt MPs and the parlous state of modern Britain,' are setup in a Christmas poem motif with an over-obvious intent to shock. Therefore it doesn't, and it's kind of a shame, I think the poem is a load of crap, a laundry list of things wrong that goes nowhere below the surface, offering no cause or humor or insight or hope or anything much but a sly rant, which is lazy and almost always easy (I know this fer sure). I think many here do much better work and I'm disappointed to see such a miserable one-dimensional twiddle of thumbs from Britain’s poet Poet Laureateress. Who the hell picked her out? Wait.. don't tell me... The Academy! I think Ms. Duffy should go live under a bridge for one year with the homeless then try again on the 2010 Christmas poem. call the tune twiddle their thumbs stopped in its tracks strike a match strike a bargain wings of justice down the line are you fucking kidding? these are something worse than cliché
No, I'm not kidding. I don't think it's really terrible, just not so much better than many things on here. As I said, perhaps her heart's not in it.
If only they'd known!
Maybe invite him to post here? I don't see too many writing collections on facebook. I wonder what the net difference/effect is of posting on a personal blog or wall or website vs. a community site.
This is not my style!
Topic locked