This looks good

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
This looks good

I found this in NAWE's latest bulletin.
Unless I'm mistaken I think it's free to enter.

"English PEN and Arvon join together to give you a chance to win a place on an Arvon creative writing week!

For this year’s Arvon brochure competition, English PEN has teamed up with the UK’s leading creative writing charity to run a competition called Made-Up Words.

We’re giving you the chance to win a full place on an Arvon course at one of the three English Arvon centres, plus travel to the Arvon house (the equivalent of a second class train ticket within the UK). Arvon run an exciting and broad range of courses for writers at all stages.

How To Enter

All you need to do is write a poem (maximum 14 lines) or a piece of flash fiction (maximum 100 words) with a title that is a made-up word.

Submit your entry in the body of an email (no attachments, thank you!) to competition@englishpen.org by midnight 29th March 2013. Any entries that come in at any time on 30th March 2013 onwards will not be submitted.

Good luck with your entry! You may only submit one entry and you may not alter or amend the entry once it’s been sent. See below for further terms and conditions.

What’s a Made-Up Word?

All words, in a way, are made up, and we want you to feel as free as possible, but you might also be interested in exploring words that people make up and use in their families and friendships (think of Paul Muldoon’s poem Quoof, his family’s strange word for a hot water bottle) or nonsense words (think of Lewis Carroll’s Jabberwocky) or perhaps combinations from words of other languages, or onomatopoeic words, or words that are somewhere between sound and sense, or… Good luck exploring your own Made-Up Words!

Judge

Writer Femi Martin is the judge of the competition. Femi is a writer and performer who is best known for her flash fiction. She was appointed the Dickens 2012 Young Writer in Residence.

Be Inspired!

Femi Martin – the judge – has written some inspiring words for you to help you come up with your entry! Have a read and get writing!

Competition Partner

Made-Up Words is part of europolyglot, an English PEN festival of events, workshops, night classes and roundtables that celebrates multilingualism and active ageing in the UK, in partnership with the European Commission Representation in the United Kingdom.

Terms and Conditions

1. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date, as stated above.
2. You may only submit one entry (either a poem or a piece of flash fiction) and you may not alter or amend your entry once it’s been submitted.
3. The competition is open to all aged 16 or over. Winners aged 16 and 17 must be able to provide a consent form from a parent/guardian.
4. The prizewinners will be decided by the judge and the judge’s decision is final.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page; no entry received after that time will be considered. The winner will be announced on this web page. There is one prize of a full place on an Arvon course at one of the three English centres, plus travel to the Arvon house (the equivalent of a second class train ticket within the UK). A selection of the best entries may be published on the English PEN and Arvon websites.
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prizes or offer alternative prizes of equal or greater value.
7. The prizewinners will be notified by email. If any of the selected entrants do not meet all of the contract conditions, other entrants will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competition is not open to employees of English PEN or Arvon and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
10. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g ‘competition entry’ website/company) will be disqualified. Entrants may only submit one entry.
11. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.
12. The email address you provide to enter the competition will be used by us to contact you if necessary, and will not be shared with other companies. English PEN and Arvon will only use your email address in compliance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998 and in accordance with our privacy policy.

Hey Stan, I couldn't make last night too. However, I did buy a pizza business (well, a double-axis 8 by 5 metal-framed catering trailer with a wood-fired oven and creperie). I'm looking forward to someone posting how it went. Foyles put some books by for the auction and Tony kindly picked them up in my place so I hope they did well too. Good to see you bright and breezy on the site. When's that book of yours coming out? I bought Florian's 'The Clamour King' on the net and looking forward to tucking into that.