Wheatsheaf Readers And Listeners

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wheatsheaf Readers And Listeners

I want to wish all the readers at tonight's bash the very best of luck (not that any of you will need it) and to say to just simply enjoy the moment.

I would love to be there - maybe next time I will be.

Have a brilliant night everyone!

We did Scatch and you were sorely missed! Great to put faces to names. Enjoyed meeting, RJF, Blackjackdavey, Amlee and Bee, to name just a few. Great reads by everyone.

I too would have loved to go. I went to an ABC meet in maybe 2007(?) and it was fantastic meeting the people behind the names. Hey Tony, any chance of a northern do?

There is Lisa - we'll do another one in York before the end of the year. Is that any good for you?

It was an exceptional night at the Wheatsheaf with a great crowd - not a seat left free - and a range of exceptional readers.

Thankyou all - the next one will be on December 11th. Do try and be there!

A first for me. What a wonderful, welcoming crowd it was. Just hope that I'll be able to go to the next one. 
Thank you, Tony for your time and effort. May need a bigger room next time! smiley

Glad it was a success.  Would love to get to a London do.  Meeting everyone is one of the best things.  That and listening to the work read / performed by the writers.  Superb evening in York a year ago.  Thanks to Tony and the organisers.  Hope to get along next time.

Parson Thru

A meet in the Westcountry would suit me. Bristol, Plymouth, Exeter or Exmouth. Glad it went well    Elsie

It was a wonderful night - so pleased to put names to faces. A warm group of people and such inspiring talent.

We made £169 for Railway Children so thanks to everyone there. 

Lisa and Elsie, I think the best way to get one of these nights off the ground would be to find out all the Abc writers/poets who live in your area. Maybe Tony could help you with this. Email these lovely people through the contact form on Abc as a round robin and ask on a scale of one to ten how interested they'd be if there was a night closeby to read and listen to great, local work. Then you'll know if it's a goer. Ask those who take a real interest if they'd like to help organise things. Getting about isn't cheap, so the closer it is the better. Do it in a major town (Liverpool/Manchester and Exeter?)

To give you an idea, we get about forty-odd people at the London nights, including readers, once a season. It doesn't take much to organise; once you've found a venue, all you have to do is pen in dates with landlord, set up tables and chairs, microphone etc on the night, but the real work (outside of London especially) would be getting word to those closest. Even if only twenty people gave the idea a solid ten, you could almost guarantee that half would come, probably with a guest, so there's fifteen/twenty. Add on readers, another ten, and their guests, and you've got a party. Any more is a bonus. All proceeds go to charity and at £4/£2concs, it's a steal of a night. Do it close to a university, let them know it's on and you'll get some English students involved too. They'd definitely enjoy an Abctales night. It would need to take any more than ten hours' work every season to organise.

You're both very active, spunky people and a little soiree on the side of everything else that slips and sways in the anus of life never hurt. It's been such a boost for me to get involved with something like this.

Do this!

As I live close to Exeter I have been toying with the idea of getting one organised locally in the not too distant future. Now I have an incentive - and I would be able to drum up a decent crowd. So - West country folk, drop me a line at tcook@abctales.com and let's see if we can can get a load of readers together.

Blighters, that's a brilliant idea. Liverpool or Chester would be best for me. I might start a thread and see how much interest is sparked. Lisa

This last year or so I have, in league with Tony organised ABCtales nights in York.  Tony mentioned in a similar thread recently that we would do another York reading before Christmas.  If I sorted for the second Saturday in November would that suit?  The readings are held at the Black Swan, here's  the link:

http://www.blackswanyork.com/

Anyone interested in me organising for November?

Scratch, I'd be up for the 2nd Saturday in November in York. Nothing planned at the moment. I've missed a few evenings so it would be great to get to one.

Wanted to thank abctales for catharsis.  Saved my life more times than you know.

Really enjoyed all the different voices, and colours in the readings.
Thank you all.

Do you think I can change my name to Chinese Takeaway? :p

Andrée 

Ok Alex, nice one would that be to read as well as listen mate?

Denzella and Parson Thru are already up for it, Ralph came along with a fabulous musician too.  Anyone else?

Um, dunno! I did read at a London event a while back so if anyone wants the chance I'm more than happy to let someone else have a go. Reading terrifies me!

I'm in, scratch!

It's a bit of a ride for me, so can you or anyone else recommend a cheapish hotel?

Lisa

Excellent lisa h.  There is loads of accommodation in and around York and to suit all budgets have a google and there'll be more choices than you can point a stick at.

Peter,

I'm being a pest again but please don't make it Saturday 2nd November because that is the date of our annual family party but the 9th should be fine.  I'm happy to read if there is a spot.

Looking forward to it and if there is anything i can do to help please just holler. 

MOya

It won't be the 2nd November Moya.  No problem.

You're all making me jealous. Wish i could be there. the only thing I could afford right now would be to rent a kayak. But I don't think I'd make it in time. And a note to Moya. I just received your book in the mail. i will send you a proper thank you when i get home. I was like a kid at Christmas. It's my next train book. You're a dearheart for sending it along. Many thanks. xx.

Rich

Had a great night...thanks to all there in flesh & spirit.

Looking forward to the next one already!

Marioneth