Accessing ABCTales via mobile

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Accessing ABCTales via mobile

Hello, can anybody help me? Last year, I remember reading a forum thread about accessing ABCTales via mobile 'phones without having to enter credit card details to verify proof of age. I'm sure there was some way it could be done if a member didn't actually have a credit card. 

If you know the answer or have any alternative ways of getting on ABC via mobile 'phone, please could you let me know. Much appreciated and thanks in advance.

If you're EE then you should be able to verify age under the user settings. I've had this problem and never had to enter a credit card. If not EE then you just need to log on to your online account and find the relevent settings. 

Thanks grover, appreciate that.

Sorry Grover.  I don't know what EE is.  I have this problem and find it exasperating.  Bear had a way of doing it that worked - something about going through the 'competition' link.  Further clarification on how to get on the site whilst roaming with an ipad would be most appreciated.

EE is your service provider for your phone. If you're on Orange, Vodaphone O2 or whatever else, just go into your online account settings and go through to your parental controls. Switch them off. It's where the parental controls are seeing something it thinks you shouldn't see. Probably something I've written.

Laughs out loud grover.  I don't have a mobile phone but do have an ipad where the same access problem exists.  At the last York event I left my file containing my pieces for reading at home (doh!) but did have my ipad but to no avail.  Access denied without a credit card to prove age.  I don't think that the parental settings are activated on the ipad to restrict access anyway?  Help would be appreciated.

If your Ipad is 3G then it'll have a sim unless you're using the WiFi. If it's got a sim with 3G then it'll be via a service provider. I've never had issues accessing the site through my Ipad or any other sites, but my Ipad is WiFi only. 

The parental settings via service provider is for people who don't have a credit card. 

I'm tech' illiterate grover can you explain in simple terms?  The ipad is three G and can also use wifi, I still can't get on ABCtales and always hit the credit card message.  Laypersons terms to explain what to do if possible?  Thanks in advance.

Who provides the 3g ie is it ee, O2 orange etc?

BT Internet.com (I think).

Ah I didn't realise this was a problem! I have 3 and can always get on with my phone without any trouble. I'll have to do some investigating to see just why the site's being blocked.

Nice one Luke.  It has been a long-standing issue.  Like I said above, when I left my work file at home when attending the York reading I tried to use the ipad but ran into the 'credit card age verification' prompt as always happens.  Bear had a back door way of getting on via a 'completion entry' route I think but how to do that is a distant and forgotten memory lol.

Vera, I'll have to check on what model my iPad is (iPad 2 I think it is).

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. If you're BT internet, then you've got filter levels for protecting children. I imagine it's set to moderate instead of light.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?t...

I did have a problem accessing ABC tales on my mobile ages ago where it blocked it due to parental settings. You just have to set them to light. I think it's where it picks up a word or a picture it blocks if you've got a high setting.