need some help with grammar

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
need some help with grammar

I was just wondering if its ok to use the word 'And' to start a sentence, for example:

The windy waves buried deep the dark mystery of the past. And I gazed across that sandy shore, and saw something which defied all reasoning.

And is it ok to use a semicolon with the word 'And', for example:

The windy waves buried deep the dark mystery of the past ; And I gazed across that sandy shore, and saw something which defied all reasoning.

Any help in this depatment would be much appreciated as I tend to start quite a few sentences with the word 'And' but something don't feel right. It feels as if I'am doing something wrong grammatically. And I want to get it right.

thanks

Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Funk, Rules have changed since I was at school, when we were taught NEVER to start a sentence with 'And, but, so or then'. It's now, however, perfectly acceptable. The only thing I'd say is (re your sentence), that it might be better thus: ...dark mystery of the past. I gazed across that sandy shore and...'etc . Or, alternatively...'.mystery of the past and I gazed across that sandy shore. Saw something that defied all meaning...' Forget the 'and' in between. Flows better, don't you think? Either way, get rid of one of the 'and's' It's one 'and' too many, mate...
The Fowlers'
Anonymous's picture
Funk, Add the cunjunction after a comma for dignity. accordin to the Fowlers. As in "...of the past, and I gazed...", like what you did in : "...sandy shore, and...". Innit? Never a semicolon! Andrea's right; too many 'ands' here. 'And' can sometimes begin a sentence for emphasis, e.g. "It was a cold, snowy night. And I had no money left for food." At the end of the day however, is it, or is it not job -as well as our pleasure- as 'grammar-rookies' to push the boundaries of the language? I wish we had italics here at the forum, and special html text effects.
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
Also, there is no capital letter after a semicolon. Oh dear, I sound like Eric. Rules in writing have changed though and I think that as long as it flows, it generally works. There are exceptions of course but if you really are stuck; simply write it as you wish and get a good Eric-type editor....
Penumbra
Anonymous's picture
Check the Chicago Manual of Style by the University of Chicago Press. This is the source that the publishers refer to when looking for criticism. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting a sentence with and. And to make sure you believe me, there is this email.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Only trouble with that is that it's American, and without wishing to be picky or rude, American grammar differs greatly from English (true English.) In County Bookstores Funk (there must be one somewhere in B'ham) they sell a boxed set of dictionary /thesaurusii (new word!) which includes books on spelling, grammar etc etc. It's £4.99 (Bargain!)
Topic locked