A Little Bit Lost

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
A Little Bit Lost

Anyone been watching the C4 series 'Lost'.

I've watched every episode so far and although not addicted by any stretch of the imagination, I find I am mildly puzzled as to what is going on (where are they, how did they survive, etc.) - and so keep watching as I like the slow way it's unfolding and, what I suppose in America they would call, 'the intelligent' way it is unfolding. I watched it originally because that hobbit fella was in it, and he's a great actor, but am I the only one who is 'lost' when reading all the gushing reviews this show has received so far? If I were to miss an episode, I can't think I would've missed very much? But I watch it because it's a nice way to relax with after badminton on Wednesday night.

It aint that fantastic, surely? Is it because those across the pond find it so intellectually stimulating, and that it is so very popular over there means that the media has to hype this show beyond what it's got to offer? Or am I missing something along the way?

Thoughts?

I think 'intellectually stimulating' is a bit of a stretch, but I do enjoy it and I would say it's intelligently written. And occasionally poignant. I've discovered it has a lot of the same names behind it as 'Alias' - also hugely entertaining and 'intelligently written,' IMHO! Recenctly watched all of season 3 in the space of about 4 days, & can't wait for season 4...

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

I'm enjoying Lost - it seems as if the island is an allegory - but quite what for I am not yet certain. Heaven? Lost dreams? Purgatory? Limbo? They are clearly all dead - hence the bit this week where it was pointed out that they'd spun through the air in the middle bit of the plane, bounced through the foliage and ended up on the beach - with hardly a scratch between them. I gather the plot takes huge quantum leaps from time to time so it could all just become very silly indeed. I'd hardly call it intellectually challenging - but then again, it is made for mainstream American TV so it's better than the appalling drivel they usually serve up.
I only watched one but didn't like it. It seemed quite slow. Maybe I needed to have seen the first one.

I agree with kj on this - it's fun to watch, but hardly worth the reviews. I think our media has a strange obsession with US shows - Desperate Housewives is watchable but not worth all the feting in the press. I think Lost is worth it because of Matthew Fox who IS a Fox, and also the hobbit guy, because, well, someone made a role for him that wasn't an elf or pixie when, indeed, he looks JUST LIKE an elf or pixie. I think it thinks its cleverer than it is - but I don't mind that. What I'd like is if they were actually only in a centre parcs or something... hence the multi-fashioned climates etc... They crashed into an unsued Centre Parcs of the A11 and the reason nobody can pick up their calls for help is because it's overgrown on the outside and.... sheesh... it doesn't quite hold up does it? Watchable though. I like it, although don't make a point of being in front of the TV for it.
it is fun to watch, it's a disaster soap opera mystery....
I watched the first episode and found this soap opera absolutely ridiculous. The so called victims with make up, beautifully combed and dressed, their demeanour lacked any distress, some girls sunbathing in their bikinis next to the crashed plane...Who can watch this without laughing out loud???? Sorry! And I did not read "wonderful" critics, in fact, rather bad ones.

I suppose that it is possible they all could have survived the accident without a scratch, but how is Lock able to walk when before he was in a wheelchair? I hope this isn't a heaven, purgurtory allegory - although that would be typically American, and which I would utterly hate. I like the idea that they are being watched by 'aliens' - that they are in some form of zoo. So maybe you were thinking along the same lines, Ferg, heh. Still, the bigger picture is less interesting than the unfolding chracters, and their growing relationships - even though they seen a little generic - but maybe that's how they wanted it to appear at first. Nice to lie on the sofa and let it wash over me. A bit of sex would be nice as well - like the main girl - the former prisoner who fancies the Doctor, although in real life she at it with the hobbit fella. Can't see that happening.
2 points... 1. all dead?! Never thought of that! S'pose it would make some kind of sense... Although what of their physical interactions with the environment...? 2. Bikinis - girls sunbathing in - and stuff... Perfectly reasonable! And not just because it's something nice to look at (well you girls get Dr. Whassisname!)... I'd say it's to do with coping techniques and the like... That's all for now... "P"

Of course they could all be dead, their environment could be phsyical or imaginary, as no one knows what death is like - physical or not, then it's all acceptable. Would be a tadge obvious if they were ead though, or in an alien zoo. Still, it's relaxing, slow-paced entertainment and I aint complaining. Won some awards as well, must have been a slow year...
Surely if they're all dead and the environment is imaginary, then it's hardly any different from the classic deux ex machine... "It was all just a horrible dream" ...which, it has to be said, would be somewhat dissappointing... :-/

I think it will be ultimately disappointing. And (pedantic mode) it's 'Deus Ex Machina'.
You say potarto... (pedantry forgiven ;-) )

Topic locked