Morality in the Next Millennium

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morality in the Next Millennium

Some wazzocks thank scripture for our moral judgements asif none existed before scripture was widely available. I can't argue that scripture doesn't provide (in places) some sounds moral frameworks but morality evolves (like any other idea) with time. Scripture didn't free blacks from slavery or provide women suffrage.

Following on from this It has recently been discovered that a disproportionate amount of murderers on death row have similar damage to the frontal lobe of their brains.

Hypothetically speaking (because nothing has yet been proven) if it was confirmed that this damage (which may have occured during an accident or even on the school playground when they were children) is more or less reponsible for the reason why they go on to commit agressive crimes, where does this leave us morally?

It was proven that repair to the damaged area reformed the criminal would you still consider the death penalty justified?

We regularly visit the dentist (when you can bleedin' find one) to have our teeth checked. We go for eye tests and smears, etc. How would you feel about having your brain scanned at birth and then commiting yourself to regular scans throughout your life?

What implications do you think the future of neuroscience will have on our moral climate?

Okay, let’s take the ball of Neuroscience Vs Morality and run with it into the field of Human Rights… At what point do we say it is unacceptable to impinge on our “freedoms” and “rights” if it is allegedly for the sake of improving the overall “health” of the human race? To the point of genetics? – i.e. so that the state would not even allow certain people to be born if they had “criminal genes”? As to your overall question, I think neuroscience, in particular where it relates to computer science, is going to impact on our lives, including our moral lives, more and more. Do you think there are or should be any moral boundaries where it comes to making a god-like supercomputer? (what was it that Horizon programme called it? Can’t remember…) Or interfacing brains with machines? Which brings me onto the question of Cybermen! No, not sure what I can say about Cybermen… Yan…? ~PEPS~ Latest on The Art of Tea ( http://pepsoid.wordpress.com/ )... "The Art of Flânerie"

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

I dunno. lol :) There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed - Dennett

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Speaking of which, did you see the latest Torchwood? About the cyberwoman? My sexuality was rendered into a most confused state... :-/ ~PEPS~ Latest on The Art of Tea ( http://pepsoid.wordpress.com/ )... "The Art of Flânerie"

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Topic locked