Cherry-Picked on That!

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cherry-Picked on That!

This is a place where everyone who was cherry-picked or who wants to be cherry picked goes, and people can discuss it. And you can also post tips on how to get cherry picked. I've never been cherry picked- yet. But hopefully I will =). Enjoy your cherries!

Like I said in the body, I haven't been cherry picked yet, but does any one have any tips on getting cherry picked that I should know about? Savannah

Sav

My poetry was cherry picked a few times, but I couldn't tell you why some were or weren't. none of my story stuff has been picked, but I didn't really think it would be.

Nicholas Schoonbeck

I've had a few poems cherry picked and 1 inspiration point 'story'. Like Cormacru, I have no idea why some are and some are not. Just know I am always happy, amazed and grateful when they are!

I think it is inspiring to write not only in the knowledge it will be read by others who will really appreciate it but with the extra dimension of possible recognition by a very well respected site. If you look at the 4 brief chapters of my book - "ex" three have been cherrypicked and one has not. I could not say why but it just makes me want to raise my standards each time.

That is so true. And what do bananas mean? Savannah

Sav

I think if you slip up in your writing you get a banana. But I could be wrong. lol. Rich

'Cherries are the opiate of the people.' (Carol Marx)

Love it. Very funny. Rich

Hello slirpie, I have no idea what the banana means, in fact I've never seen them before. As regards cherries, I wouldn't worry about them, I'm sure they'll come your way soon. I very rarely get cherries so I've kind of given up trying to work out what ABC editors look for. It's a complete mystery to me why certain people get them for virtually every piece of work they submit in spite of the quality, and other deserving work gets ignored. Also you never know who it is awarding the cherries and I think those concerned ought to be accountable, not anonymous. I have seen replies to comments which actually thank the editor concerned for awarding a cherry, so obviously they are known to certain people. I think there is a certain amount of "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" that goes on in ABC editorial, and while ABC is a brilliant site, bias for and against certain people is not edifying and a real shame. The thing is to keep your own council and have confidence in your work. If you read good books by good authors you will be able to judge your own work and won't need other people to tell you if your writing is good or bad or somewhere in between. Comments are much more helpful than anonymous cherries which are awarded without any reason given. It would be helpful if there was a particular aspect (narrative, characterization, plot, metre, rhyme, imagery, alliteration, or whatever)that caught the editor's eye, but I realise they are busy people and don't always have the time to be detailed. Comments are always encouraging and you will find if you do your own share of reading others' work and commenting you will receive your share of encouragement. Most of the people on the site are friendly and helpful, but I would advise not to write with the sole intention of seeing how many cherries you can accumulate as you might be writing for the wrong reasons. So, chin-up and believe in yourself, write what you enjoy and good luck in getting some cherries as a bonus. sue

TVR

I agree. As much as I like getting the occasional cherry, I'd much rather have the comments. Positive or negative. It's very discouraging sometimes to write something that gets read and the reader doesn't bother to comment. I usually take a non comment as a negative. Or simply that it was so long the reader didn't bother to finish. lol. Rich

As a former editor on ABCTales, who always attempted to inform as to why something received a cherry, I can tell you that the post above is why I no longer perform the function of editor. To reiterate things I said many times: the award of a cherry is subjective, of course it is. Do you expect an objective reaction from a reader at a publishing house or an agent? Good luck with that. I awarded cherries to work that stepped outside of a particular author's comfort zone. (Something that isn't "erotica", Sue?) or something that showed a marked - according to what I know of creative writing tenets - improvement. Towards the end I didn't award cherries to very good pieces of writing for exactly the reason mentioned above. I felt that the usual high standard of such writers wasn't enough and I waited for that piece with a little bit extra. But most of all, I gave up because sincere commentary/critique given in good faith was either ignored or aroused simple vituperation. Nobody is paid to edit on this site. When I edited here I read every unread story I came across and many that other editors had read. You try it. It's not as much fun as you think. Good luck with your writing. Ewan
Hello Ewan, I agree with you mostly, I could not and would not want to do the editing job because it is too much of a commitment, a thankless task at times and one that I imagine leaves little time for said editor's own writing. But I resent your inferrence that erotic writing is all I do. 75% of my work is not in that genre so maybe you ought familiarise yourself with that fact before you make that kind of accusation in future. I put lots of effort into my work and do endless editing before I submit and writing does not come easily to me. I have to work at it. I may not use fancy words like you (I don't even understand some of them) but I think I communicate my ideas pretty well using simple language. As to you being a former editor, I remember your comments on my work were more often than not in the form of sarcasm (to me, anyway, I cannot speak for others) and never helpful. Because an author occasionally writes EROTICA there is no need to take a dim view. And that was the trouble with you, all your comments on my work seemed to be designed to belittle, whether I had written poetry or prose. You may remember I gave my share of sarcasm back at the time, which I regret now because it is not my way, but I was furious with you - someone who was should have known better being in a privileged position and making poitive suggestions. I know editing is hard work, I too have held that position, (for a provincial newspaper), it was a paid job and I expected flack, especially when I didn't get things right. ABC editors do the job voluntarily and fair play to them for that, but there is absolutely no reason why they should be so obviously biased. Out of 250 submission I have been 'robot' cherry picked nine times, so I don't think anyone could blame me for feeling the way I do. I've given up worrying about it because editorial's message to me is clear, but I do believe they should show more parity and be less mean-spirited even so. There are numerous authors on this site who write well within their comfort zone but seem to acquire cherry orchards nonetheless. But like you say it's a very subjective thing and all editors are different. It's just that they don't seem to like my work, or perhaps it's me. I'd be pleased to carry on this argument with you if you like, but I'd sooner bury the hatchet and start over. I think you are a good writer, but you should have consideration and show a little more compassion to your fellows who are trying their best too. sd

TVR

I have been inspired to write again by this wonderful site and can only express a heartfelt gratitude to those who take the time and trouble to edit it. It is a love affair with literary expression which we share. Don't look behind the curtain, strive for better, look within yourselves and share.

Thank you all for those tips and please no arguments here =) and thank you leprechaun for the congrats even tho idk what a banana means. Savannah

Sav

Well Sue, the only comment of mine I could find was a reference to Morris Dancing on Panty Theft (a story about Incest, I recall. There is a famous quote from Sir Thomas Beecham: "in this life try everything once, except incest and Morris Dancing"). The fact is that story was posted just after I gave up editing. I did do it for quite a while and I think that my comments while I did so were constructive. I'm sure others on ABC will contradict me here if that were not so. If they do, then I apologise. However, my comment concerning 'erotica' did not refer to the genre of your stories as posted, more to the content. It does seem that a large proportion have a sexual bent, forgive me if that is not the case. I do note that your work which has been "cherried" includes some material which does not fall into this category. Good luck with your writing and with garnering cherries from the current editors. Ewan
Thanks for responding, Ewan, and for your honesty. I’d like to draw a line under this now, but I do have a few more points to make beforehand if you can bear with me. I’m not interested in garnering cherries per se. It reminds me of school days when teachers used to award gold stars for good work. It would always be the same kids regardless of efforts made from less talented pupils. There will always be favourites in life, and while ABC is a good site, it is also very ‘clicky’. If you are not part of these cliques you have the feeling of being ostracised. I feel the currency has been devalued anyway by the constant awarding of cherries to the same people regardless of the quality of the submission. And the serialisation of stories where every single chapter seems guaranteed to receive a cherry is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the whole system. You are an intelligent guy and I’m sure you don’t need me to name names of the people (editors) involved – you will know who I’m talking about. It goes back to the back-scratching I mentioned previously. I once contributed a 5000 word story to ABC and the editor concerned picked out a duplicate full stop after one sentence, that’s all the comment involved. I knew my story was reasonably well-told and included most of the elements of what a good short story should contain, but that was the thing that caught his eagle eye – a typo. Fucking brilliant! What was the point? Not a word about the story or its elements at all. I edited the story, removing the offending stop and resubmitted, thinking this was a definite cherry winner, but only received a rebuke, saying they failed to see any difference in the re-submission. I think it was at that point I lost all respect for ABC editors, sorry to say. You make a point of saying the very few cherries I have received have gone to non-erotic stories with the inference that this must tell me something. Erotica is a legitimate category on ABC and if it is frowned upon by editors then it should be removed as a category. I know some of my content is very controversial and I like to make people think and sometimes even feel uncomfortable about things. I think writing should move people and if I can do that I am doing my job. But even if content is considered ‘dodgy’ it should not detract from the fact that the story itself it is well told and involves believable characters and good dialogue etc. I prefer writing non-erotica but the smutty stuff is always the most read it seems. Don’t ask me. There have been many examples of poorly written erotica on ABC but that hasn’t always been a barrier to them being awarded cherries. As I’ve said, I’m not really worried about the cherries, I’ve risen above it now, but I do hate obvious bias and unfairness in life. Good luck with your writing too, not that you need it. Best wishes. sue

TVR

I just have to say I don't feel like its clicky at all but maybe I'm just not part of the cliques. I feel like I publish my stuff and some gets picked and some doesn't but that doesn't change how I feel about my work at all. its just a cherry anyway.

Nicholas Schoonbeck

That's true... You don't really need a cherry to know that you did good. It's actually based on the peolple who read it, I'm pretty sure. If they like it. Because the cherry pickers might not like that type of story or might not be as interested as anyone else would be if they read it... And the cherry pickers are each one person. And you don't even get to eat the cherries. Bummer. =( Savannah

Sav

I agree totally with Cormacru. Although I am relatively new to the site I can't say I've noticed any cliques. I just enjoy posting and reading other's posts. If I get a cherry I am thrilled, if not I know I wrote something I enjoyed and that in itself is good enough for me.

I can understand some of the comments above in regards to cherrypicks being rewarded for writers stepping out of their comfort zones or 'upping the ante' so to speak. So far I have received 2 cherries (which I am very happy and VERY proud of!) and the first one was for a chapter of a sort of silly adventure story I did about a pirate. Before this most of my work was based in the horror genre so I guess that was me stepping out of my comfort zone. The second was for a piece of prose about a daydreaming man's view on his life and his crumbling relationship with his wife, something else I hadn't done before and something unlike my previous work, so maybe there's some truth in this idea of leaving the comfort zone. Personally I'd imagine the different editors have different things that appeal to them and maybe strike them as special on certain days, and a cherrypick may end up actually being down to half skill, and half luck that the right person noticed your skill! ABCtales' version of the National Lottery, haha. Sorry for the essay. -Jason Purdy (MM)

Don't be sorry, that was a good tip... Thank you =) Savannah

Sav

Don't be sorry, that was a good tip... Thank you =) Savannah

Sav

Hahaha that could be true... But then i would be seeing a lot more of those around this website... Probably by me. Oh well. Savannah

Sav

Yeah that would be sad. And you don't even get to eat the cherries =P. You don't get to eat the bananas either but not my point. And you can cherish many or one good comment, but what do you do with the cherry? Though it would be cool to have one. Never got one-yet. Savannah

Sav

What would you have to do to lose your cherry?

Uhh... Probably if you edit it and it's really bad after you do, then you lose it. Maybe, I'm not sure. Savannah

Sav

Topic locked