From freedom to fascism

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's great to see I'm a 'weenie' now. What weak 1990's Yank-Yoof catchphrase will Radio-Ice-Ice-Baby pull out of his backwards baseball cap next, I wonder? ~ I'll Show You Tyrants Fuselit The Prowl Log Woe's Woe
FISH ON! get the net... Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

Yah. When I insult you for being a braggart and a fuckwit, I'm starting a fight. When you insult me while pretending to be MC Hammer, it's 'fishing'. But then, this is also just 'time-wasting', even though you stay up really late at night in the desperate hope that I'll respond. No amount of self-contradiction will stop you trying to look like some cool-headed, smooth-talking scrapper. Is this the effect of the Internet on sad, defeated old never-weres everywhere? As far as I know, my granddad doesn't spend most of his spare time at the computer trying to be young and reckless again. ~ I'll Show You Tyrants Fuselit The Prowl Log Woe's Woe
On my kitchen table, I have this little box. On this little box are buttons. I’ve discovered that I can press these buttons and it makes people on the other side of the world lose control of their bowels. Periodically, I have to test this just to verify that it is really true. And it is true! On occasion there is a delayed reaction, like this time. But it does work. This is really cool. I’m looking for the buttons that make the doorbell ring with a hot pizza that I don’t have to pay for. Haven’t found that button yet. Do you get it Jon? I'll splain it again....Fucking with you is easier than ordering pizza. Chill out dude, you take every opportunity you can to rag about me. As long as you do, I'll fuck with you while I wait for my pizza to show up. Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Is that the sound of a bait runner whirring? Yes, I think it is. See, I came on this afternoon and felt bored. Knew there'd be a thread which I could respond to you on. Knew you'd reply in all of half of hour. Laid my bait. I didn't really, of course. But it's easy to pretend when you've got the Internet. You know that already, don't you? First, you come on and be a bit of a twat, because that's what you are. Then, when someone responds - "Oo, I'm just fuckin witcha! I'm time-wasting!" Great! No one can get at you, because you've always got a line for it. Whatever total idiocy you've indulged in - no! It's deliberate! Trouble is, no one believes it, 'dude'. You're a boring, faux-mischievous old loser creaming yourself over the fact that *gasp!* you can say and do what you want online, and no one can just tell you to fuck off. You don't get it though. You just don't. You're not 'fucking with me'. It's the fact that you're a dick and a liar that pisses me off. It's who you are, not what you do. It's not 'pressing buttons' that causes the angst - it's the proof of your existence. You're just *the* total, all-purpose tool. ~ I'll Show You Tyrants Fuselit The Prowl Log Woe's Woe
heh heh hehhehe priceless Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Oh, I just love pissing contests! *sits happily down under a nearby tree with a mojito and a bag of roast beef and hot mustard crisps, patiently wating for the next salvo*
Since when did ID cards become manaitory in the US? Never heard of such a thing. I know that liquor stores require some form of ID to prove age, as do bars, but that is usually a driver's license. There is no such thing an an ID card in the US--there are simply 'forms of identifcation.' Not the same thing. When I still lived there, I used to carry my passport around with me to prove identification. This got me some blank stares because most Americans have never seen a passport. From those who knew what it was, I usually got smirks-but they had to accept it. Even so, I would ocassionally get an arguement that a passport was insufficient ID. They wanted a driver's license or a credit card with my picture--both easy to fake. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
Well, yes, you are correct that there is no 'national ID card', as such, but it behooves the citizen to carry picture ID on them, and at least where I come from, a drivers license is universally accepted as the 'best' form of picture ID as it holds most of the information needed. You're right about passports, and even my British drivers license draws some blank stares; but when I lived here I carried *some* form of picture ID on me at all times, and from what I can tell, most people do. The ones who don't run into all sorts of trouble. Thus I wouldn't actually have a problem with a national ID as it's not such a leap of imagination from what I already hold.
So when you say you "always have to have a picture ID on us" what you actually mean is you *don't* always have to have a picture ID on you. Because when I go to the states I usually leave my passport locked up safe (unless planning to buy a drink) and walk around without so much as a picture driving license and I don't want to get banged up as a vagrant or anything.

As far as I'm concerned you should always have some sort of picture ID on you, in case you get murdered, and your body is left out in the desert to rot. Especially if you're a foreigner. I suppose it's not a *law* as such, at least not yet, certainly not nationwide, but it'd be stupid to not have any sort of ID on you.
I heard you should always have clean underwear on in case you are murdered and left in the desert to rot. I can see the killers now, going over your goods..."Oh, here's an ID card...quick run out to the desert and stick this on his rotting corpse so they can identify him later. Damn foreigners" Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Like Dan, I don't carry my passport on my person, unless I'm actually entering or leaving a country, and my drivers licence doesn't have a photo on it anyway. In ten visits to the USA in the last 2yrs it's not been a problem not having photo ID on me. The only time it proved a problem not having my licence on me was when involved in an accident 7yrs ago. I don't however object to an ID card in principle.

RD, I was told that you should never leave the house without: 1. Clean underwear 2. Brushing your teeth I would also add 'ID'; you're right, ID *can* and usually *is* dumped somewhere in murder cases, but how many times has an ID been thrown into some garbage dump near where the body is found? I have to say, when I still lived in the States, I found several 'dropped' wallets with ID still in 'em while out on my runs in the desert; I'm sure it was entirely accidental (or the product of a mugging or somesuch) but inevitably I was left feeling very creeped out by their discovery and would watch the news for several days afterward, just in case someone turned up 'missing'.
So, did you keep the cash? Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Ha, ha! No, sadly they'd already been pillaged. I have a bad karma story about wallets, anyhow; when I was a youngster I *did* find a wallet left lying around at the gym and I *did* nick the whole three bucks in it. Not a week later, a 'friend' nicked THIRTY bucks out of my wallet and then denied it. Probably spent it on coke or acid, the dickhead. But I never, EVER nicked anything from a 'found' wallet again. When I murder people, I dump the wallet but leave the cash in it. It confuses the police.
Just so we're all on the same page here, there is no national or local government requirement to carry any form of ID in the U.S. Many people do, however, because it makes life more convenient when shopping, going ot the bank, etc. It is a requirement to have one's driver's license when driving, but that would be true anywhere. In many countries, it is a requirement to carry ID, even for visitors. This rule is routinely ignored and almost never enforced, but nonetheless there it is. In Poland, for example, I am technically required to carry my passport and residency card at all times. I never do, but I do have a photocopy of both with me. Even in a visitor-friendly country like Thailand, all visitors are required to carry their passports with them at all times. Of course, almost no one does and it's rarely a problem. I carry a copy with me and have never been asked for it, except when checking into a hotel where they always make a copy of the passport itself. If the police ask to see it, a copy normally suffices. Same in Poland, though I've never been asked to produce it in either country. I don't have a problem with the national ID concept, but I do have a problem with databases, primarily because they are almost always full of inaccurate information. Back in the late 80s the U.S. government instituted yet another stupid rule in an attempt to 'crack down' on illegal aliens. This entailed requiring employees and job seekers to produce their Social Security card to prove they were citizens or legit resident aliens before being hired. Many headhunters started asking for it as well. I called it the 'wet-back law.' Few people know where their SS card it, and even if they find it, it is just a flimsy piece of paper with no picture. It could easily be faked with a dodgy copy of photoshop and a color printer. LOL. I was strarting a new job at the time and had no idea where my SS card was, so I gave them my passport. Oh dear, the confusion and teeth-nashing that caused! Then here in Poland, at the bank where I have my local account, they will not accept their own cards and documents as proof of ID. Only the original passport will suffice. LOL. OTOH, I can open an account here with ONLY my passport as ID. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
UK drivers are not required to carry their drivers licence with them, James, but must produce it at a police station they nominate within five days if requested by a police officer. All new drivers licences in the UK are of the 'credit card' variety with a photo, but many people, myself included, still have an old-style licence, which is essentially a sheet of paper with driver details and a record of driving convictions and penalties thereon, but no photo. My licence expires in 2014, at which time I'll be issued with a new CC one.

Don't you legally need to replace your old-style licence with one of the new ones, Missi...? ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
No.

Sure? ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
You can change your licence to a picture one if you want to, Peps but it's not mandatory. You can keep your paper licence until it expires, then you'll be issued with a picture one. (Well that's the case unless they've changed the rules in the last fortnight.) As for the seatbelt thing - I don't think it's as bad as it sounds. If your kid's over 4'5'' (my eight year old is 4'3''), they don't have to use one at all. For those who do, it's only a case of those simple booster seats or booster cushions - and even then that's only strictly necessary when in the front seat. They're saying exceptions can be made for journeys in back seats where the 'restraints' aren't available. It doesn't really bother me, we've still got the booster seat around - it's handy for other people's kids sometimes.
Oh! I don't drive, so it's of little relevance to me, but I was under the impression when I recently replaced my old-fashioned provisional licence with a photo one that it was mandatory, on pain of fining or somesuch. ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”
Well, I should say I'm not 100% positive it is a requirement to carry a drivers license when driving in the U.S. , but I'm fairly sure it is. Even if it isn't, not having it on your person could cause a huge inconvenience if asked by the cops to produce it--way beyond having to show up five days later at the police station to produce it. The UK system sounds rather trusting by comparison. Someone without a license could do a runner rather easily under that system, provided they had somewhere to run to, of course. I think US drivers licenses need to be renewed more often than in Europe. I have one with a picture, but they would give me one without the picture if I had to renew it from outside the state and the old picture was too old. It has had a picture for many years. I can barely remember the days when a drivers license lacked a picture. BTW, a couple years ago I got a new passport simply because the old one was "pre-techno" and I didn't want to get hung up at the border someplace just for having an old fashioned passport. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
Yes I'm sure Peps, trust me (for a change). New ones ARE issued whenever a replacement or renewal occurs. In the US it's obligatory to have your licence with you. Failure to have it results in the police charging you as an unlicensed driver, I know this also to be fact, to my personal regret. I was fined $175 for the offence.

I do not doubt your intended veracity, Missi! However, on the "(for a change)" point... :-p (see "Passive Resistance" thread for definition of the above symbol) ~PEPS~ “There is no spoon.”

Pages

Topic locked