I would like to get in touch

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would like to get in touch

I would like to get in touch with other would be writer's and poets maybe sci-fi fantasy writers who are trying to get their work in print in magazines or by entering competitions including anyone who are on a creative writing course Besides writing I have other interests and hobbies as well

Nat, I'm not trying to be rude or nasty here, BUT, you need to spend some time on improving your writing before any publisher would consider your work. You need to buy a book on sentence construction and punctuation. Your post above has several glaring errors which, if it was an opening sentence of a piece of work, would make the reader stop right there. * I would like to get in touch with other would be writer’s and poets maybe sci-fi fantasy writers who are trying to get their work in print in magazines or by entering competitions including anyone who are on a creative writing course Besides writing I have other interests and hobbies as well * '...would be writer's..' The apostrophe (the only puntuation mark in the whole post apart from the hyphen in sci-fi!), is erroneous. '...writers and poets maybe sci-fi..' There should be a comma after 'poets'. '...maybe sci-fi fantasy writers' Though maybe not technically an error, 'fantasy' isn't required, as all sci-fi writing IS fantasy. '...print in magazines or by entering competitions...' You need a comma after 'magazines', and/or after 'competitions'. '...anyone who are on a creative..' Are? This should be 'is', and is an absolutely awful mistake for a writer to make. '...writing course Besides writing I have...' There should be a full-stop after course, (as there should be at the end of any sentence unless other punctuation is required. eg. exclamation mark, question mark). There should also be a double space between sentences and a comma after 'writing'. (I have noticed however, that this program has a habit of removing intended spaces, rather annoyingly.) '... as well...' Again, though maybe not grammatically incorrect, it doesn't scan in a literate sense. It would have been better to re-phrase the sentence, eg. 'I have several other interests apart from writing', or, Writing is just one of my many interests and hobbies.' Lastly, you omitted the final full-stop. You need to realise that sentence construction and punctuation are very important, especially if you're trying to impress a publisher. Most wouldn't even bother to read stuff written as badly as this. I hope this is received as constructive criticism and not as a put-down.

'I have several other interests apart from writing', or, Writing is just one of my many interests and hobbies.' Something about punctuation being important? HED KEEQUAI

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

OK, so there's two of you who need instruction in English grammar.

I think that should be 'So, there are two of you who need instruction in English grammar.' Singulars and plurals? People instead of things? Though I may be wrong, and I'll hold my hands up to superior knowledge if so.
Oh, I just love it. Better than watching Match of the Day.
Match of the Day? Better than watching Big Brother, you mean... but then, anything is.
two of you / you two ? I don't think I'm grammatically incorrect, but I can tell you disagree with me anyway, not that I give a shit. that/who ? Yes, you are right, must be my sloppy writing, I'll correct it forthwith.

Sloppy writing indeed. Do correct it - forthwith There's nothing worse than a neighbour with crap wind chimes

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Topic locked