RE: Cherries

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: Cherries

Topic posted in response to Cherries : http://www.abctales.com/story/nuahcerpel/cherries
I guess my story sucks.

Could be. Or it could be that it's just not to the cherry-picker's taste. Or it could be that in fact you're a genius, everything you write is of the highest quality and the world is just not a very fair place. Of course, if you really want people to read your stuff, opening a forum topic about a story and saying that you guess it sucks might not be the best strategy to adopt.
I've had another look at it - and it's OK but it isn't knock out. It's just a bit obvious and the writing doesn't jump up and beat me over the head with its brilliance. Keep going though - you clearly can write. I suspect that you need a really good story to get you going.
"I guess my story sucks." Well, you probably need to work out which tense you're writing it in.

We had this policy statement posted on an on line literary magazine that I worked on. I thought it might be appropriate here. J.X.M Most reasonably intelligent people, who have a good education, are capable of expressing themselves well in written form. Many choose not to because they can't "write like Hemingway." While I take nothing away from the wonderful works of the talented Mr.Hemingway, not everyone is enamored with his style of prose. What is of interest to most people are the thoughts of an author, and his/her opinions and viewpoints on anything they care to express in a readable and entertaining fashion. Simply put, write in the style that you best express yourself. Don’t try to write the way you believe others will want you to. It never seems to work out very well. Writing to most of us, addicted to and driven by the urge, is an absolutely delightful way to dream away the hours. We get to say who the hero/ heroine is, what he/she looks like and whether or not he/she succeeds in his/her quest or falls victim to the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune." It is literally the power of creation. It can be both cathartic and enjoyable, if you "go with the flow" of your creative instincts. Most of us will never write "A farewell to Arms." It has already been done.What we can do is create poems, stories, novels and screen plays that reflect who and what we are.These collective works will entertain, amuse, sadden and otherwise pleasurably distract legions of friends, families and casual readers who much need a respite from the pressures of everyday life.Our job, as writers, like that of actors, painters, singers and all manner of performers is to entertain our audience. So when next you are stricken with "writer's block" or are afraid that your work "isn't up to par with the immortals," you might want to lighten up a little and just write whatever comes to you. At the very least, your friends and family will think it a “wow” and say nice things about you. And that is a reward that sometimes gets me through some difficult introspective periods when I wonder why I am not watching old "I Love Lucy" reruns and letting my brains rest after a long and difficult day. Writing a well told tale or an artfully crafted poem can give you a feeling of pride and accomplishment that is a reward in and of itself. When we write, we speak to the ages that come after us. It is a form of immortality that no stone monument can ever measure up to. Enjoy the process, have fun with your talents and make a few readers happier for having known you and shared your thoughts. But most of all, "lighten up." Its only a story! -30- Joseph Xavier Martin
Very well said indeed!
I'm not sure it is well said. This is a nice idea: "Most reasonably intelligent people, who have a good education, are capable of expressing themselves well in written form. Many choose not to because they can't 'write like Hemingway.'" but slightly misses the point. Most reasonably intelligent people, including those who don't have an especially good education, can express themselves well enough in written form to write a personal letter or email to someone else that the recipient will find interesting and be able to understand. I don't accept that most reasonably intelligent people can write a story that other people will choose to read in their spare time through choice. Lightening up and writing whatever comes to you is good fun but it won't necessarily get you anywhere near as close to immortality as painting the garden fence with sufficient skill that it doesn't need to be repainted until several years after your death.

I must be a grammar Nazi, although as yet I have not gassed someone for a misplaced apostrophe. My point is this: if by dint of misspelling or misusing a word, or even misplacing an apostrophe; you convey a different meaning to the one you wanted - then grammar is important, surely? Yes, the creativity is the main thing, but if your great ideas are obscured by ambiguity of meaning then that's a bad thing, isn't it? In no way am I talking about a typo or an honest spelling mistake, many times it is clear what the writer meant, after all. However, sometimes, and, perhaps, more often than some care to admit, it isn't. Equally, tenses are important, as your story can become muddled if you confuse them. Their use is the only way to place the events in your story in chronological context. If you're not rigorous, you deny yourself the opportunity to use flashback, dream sequences and all sorts of things. Helpful criticism is probably much more useful than a one-liner. Still, not everyone has time and even the one-liner probably contains a kernel of truth in it. Some of what I have enjoyed writing most is distinctly bare of cherries, and, 99% of the time, I can understand why not. The other 1% of the time I am wrong. I hope nuahcerpal is still writing and that he/she reads this post
Biggus may or may not have been being ironic in terms of the 'grammar Nazi' thing. He's an enigma.

Grammar Nazi. That deserves a cherry right there.

'Yes, the creativity is the main thing, but if your great ideas are obscured by ambiguity of meaning then that's a bad thing, isn't it?' I throroughly agree, Ewan. Witch Bitch needs add nothing further.

I'd give you one of my cherries, but quite frankly I'm just a selfish person :) just kidding, I'm throwing metaphorical cherries your way.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

Ewan's erudite observations prompted me to delve deeper into his contributions which I personally find very dry and witty. If it was up to me they would be barely visible under a pile of fruit. Or perhaps I just share his taste in self-deprecating humour. Not much help to nuahcerpel. Sorry. Your story doesn't suck. On the other hand it doesn't really blow. Just my opinion.
Topic locked