scottish literature

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
scottish literature

I'm curious as to how much, if any, Scottish lit makes it into the education curriculum, whether in high school or uni. Are you conscious of a Scottish literary canon? What is the general perception of the last 100 years of Scottish writers and their work.

Tell me Tell me Tell me...

martin_t
Anonymous's picture
there has been some great scottish contemporary stuff, I love James Kelman with his dole life, Irvine Welsh who also explores the underbelly, Ian Rankin (Crime writer i know, but check him out, he knows his scotland very well) and Iain Banks.....the wasp factory one of the best books of the last 20 years or so.....
Tony Dickens
Anonymous's picture
Nice one, Dogstar! Can't resist. I echo Martin: James Kelman is one of the great contemporary short story writers. 'Greyhound for Breakfast' is awesome and 'Not not while the giro' equally superb. His first novel, 'The Busconductor Hines' is one of the best post war novels that I have read, for wit, compassion, style. Out at the top: JK (and not of the Rowling variety). There are so many terrific Scottish writers around that it is difficult to know where to begin, although it is generally acknowledged that the contemporary scene kicked off with Alasdair Gray when he published 'Lanark' in 1981. Great book and a terrific writer. Agnes Owens is highly regarded ('Gentlemen of the West' is a short novel and a magnificent read) and Alan Spence is worth a look, as is A.L.Kennedy, Todd McEwan, Burnside, Duncan McLean ... have you come across 'Bunker Man'? Blow you away ... too many, too many. Welsh and Banks, also mentioned by Martin T ... great reads. As for the curriculum, well, no, not really, not in the sense of prescribed authors, although I try to get them into the classroom as and when I can (usually at 'A' level). However, my own opinion (for what it's worth) is that the Scottish short story and the Scottish novel in the past 20 years has far surpassed anything that has come out of England, a sweeping statement I know, but I find warmth, compassion, honesty, humour and truth in writers like Kelman. Yes, I know, it's there in the English novel too, but there are few around who give me the same kind of buzz (Amis and Ian McEwan are the two who come immediately to mind). I don't know what the situation is now, but ten years ago, Kelman was making quite an impression in universities; he was being read and discussed and taken very seriously. I suspect it is still the same today, although how much credibility 'Translated Accounts' has been given, I don't know. Great topic, Dogstar! Cheers!
Tony Dickens
Anonymous's picture
Janice Galloway and Brian McCabe too ... terrible! I forgot. The Big Sister poems by McCabe are great for teaching dialect ... kids love 'em!
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
one of my option units this year in my part-time studies was 'Scottish Women Writers... exploring a broad history from the ballad tradition to the 20th century and Nan Shepherd, Jessie Kesson, Muriel Spark, Janice Galloway and A.L. Kennedy among others. All immensely enjoyable and thoroughly thought-provoking with vastly differing insights into life, living and lit. In lit history there has been a tendency to be marginalised first because you are female, second because you are Scottish, so the publications of the earlier individuals are real achievements. A wealth of imagination... And jolly good reads. Welsh. Hmm. Trainspotting was brilliant, but I have yet to find anything quite so vibrant and creative elsewhere in his work. Maribu Stork Nightmares DID scare the pants off me when i saw it in the theatre, so that IS something... Kelman got me with Good Times and i REALLY need to read more... Tom Leonard is a poet worth dipping into, if you can read him. *says quietly: i've never read a crime novel...
fish
Anonymous's picture
*great fan of A L Kennedy*
fish
Anonymous's picture
and alasdair gray ... *skips off still humming theme tune to Doctor Finlay*
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
what about poets, though? Hugh Macdiarmid, Edwin Muir, Robert Garioch, Sydney Goodsir Smith, Edwin Morgan, Sorley MacLean, Ian Chrichton-Smith...
fish
Anonymous's picture
*stops humming* poets? ... they have POETS in scotland??? (*likes jackie kay*)
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
haven't read any of jackie kay's poetry... though i've seen her give a reading of her poems here @ stirling uni... but TRUMPET was wonderful. Very tight structure, nothing unnecessary, great imagery...
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I am a big fan of tight structure myself
richardw
Anonymous's picture
robert crawford, he's quite good at the moment. john glenday's "the apple ghost" is f*cking amazing,and george mackay brown i think wrote the best english poetry of the last ... thousand years. the entirely unrelated george DOUGLAS brown wrote "house with the green shutters", which is also brilliant, should be defined as "classic" and totally unselfconscious, unpretentious which most cannot claim to be. he masterfully handles the strength of seneca without any of his attendant weaknesses. was also on the curriculum in sixth year studies at my school, which was a shock compared to the usual assortment of "a scot's quair" and unfinished rl stevenson books. i really really really recommend this book!!!! i will stake my life on everyone finding it as compelling as i did.
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
the house with the green shutters is a turning point novel, destroying the previous 'kailyard' sentimentality that was (and IS) one of the worst offenders in any literature. a milestone marking the onset of modernism. and a scots quair is an incredinbly accomplished work too, with its engagement with spoken language, engaging likewise with the modern and rejecting the more synthetic and romantic predecessors...
Tony Dickens
Anonymous's picture
John Burnside. Not had much of a look-in, yet. What's the verdict? I think 'The Asylum Dance' is a stunning volume of poetry and 'The Dumb House' is one of those first novels that will go down as a 'difficult to surpass debut'. His previous collections of poetry are really difficult to get hold of: a real pain.
tajhayer
Anonymous's picture
Got Burnside's "Common Knowledge" - brilliant (one of those writers who make me jealous)
richardw
Anonymous's picture
jury is in: still not proven
tajhayer
Anonymous's picture
"One of those writers who MAKE me jealous" or "one of those writers who MAKES me jealous"? Can't decide between the two. Grammarians help!
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Think it should be MAKE - sounds better, somehow. I really haven't got a clue about grammatical 'rules' - it's pure instinct and how it sounds...
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
one who makes... singular
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
will have to check burnside out this christmas... have worked through sunset song and cloud howe this weekend. looking at grey granite today... wonderful progression from the agricultural, coseted community through war, political turmoil and into modern urban society. some incredible attention paid to human nature at its worst and its best, from the destructive gossiping of communities to the assertion of self. a MUST...
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Thanks, Dogstar, seems we're both right! Looked it up (I like to know these things). Both are technically correct, but 'make' qualifies 'writers' and 'makes' qualifies 'one'. So you can (correctly) use either. Yippee! A grammatical choice!
stormy pedant
Anonymous's picture
...but the key word of the sentence is 'one' , singular, so 'makes' must be used. if the reference was to writers generally ie 'those writers' without reference to 'one' of them then 'make' is correct. those writers who make me blah blah. I think.
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
andrea was right... the qualification could be singular or plural here one of [those writers who MAKE me jealous] one [of those writers] who MAKES me jealous
stormy
Anonymous's picture
Ta Dogstar, sorry Andrea (I should have known better). ...every now and then I need reminding of why I must not make comments on grammar. ...some would say I should apply the same rule to other subjects too (or should that be 'as well'?).
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Either will do, Stormy (though I think 'as well' would be preferable in this case)... Cor! Another choice! We'll be spoilt soon... Or should that be 'spoiled'? Don't answer that... Please.
the roman poet ...
Anonymous's picture
please don't please don't pay more attention to singulars and plurals than to your hygiene. thank you
tajhayer
Anonymous's picture
I knew all along! Just wanted to torment you all! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! The looks on your faces .... eeehhhh *wipes away a tear* ... the old grammar trick... gets 'em every time. Hang on ... LOOK on your faces or LOOKS on your faces?
tajhayer
Anonymous's picture
Last words of Dominique Bouhours, grammarian, 1702: "I am about to, or I am going to, die. Either expression is used".
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Have come to the sad conclusion that you lot have got NO sense of humour! No probs, Bleurggh. *chuckles*
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
Have come to the sad conclusion that you lot have got NO opinion on Scottish literature... well some of you at least... *runs off making monkey face...
Topic locked