"sorted"

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
"sorted"

A mate of mine put an ad in guardian "Soul Mates" asking for someone "sorted". Ha ha ha.

My mate is late 40's. Everyone they have met as a result of the ad is f.ucked up beyond any amusement factor.

I keep telling my mate "sorted" is a myth and anyone who has got any years under the belt will by definition be "f.ucked up" which is the opposite of "sorted".

sabelle
Anonymous's picture
Well what a ray of sunshine you are. If all his mates are like you he might as well end it now!!! There are some sorted people out there, somewhere. Not everyone is bitter and twisted and poisoned by life. Tho I admit I am
Liana
Anonymous's picture
An ad in the Guardian? No wonder.
Baggage Handler
Anonymous's picture
Yeah you have a point there Liana. I told my mate to try some of those free internet dating site things and get a better class of date. Ha ha ha. Who listens to me though?
Sadie
Anonymous's picture
Well i think that was rather nice of Grec. I'm new here but maybe in time you'll get to think of me in the same way. I hope so anyway.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
LOL.... ..... I used to place personal ads in New York Magazine in the 80s and a couple of times in the 90s. I really should have taken detailed notes and kept some of the letters. Boy, what a tale of woe that would make! The word 'sorted' means nothing in American English, but I used to specify wanting someone who is 'reliable.' I suppose that is a reasonable proxy for 'sorted,' though it's not the same thing. My expectations were much more modest than your friend's. I was willing to accept screwy as long as they were reliably and predictably screwy. I still am, for that matter. I never met anyone that way that I saw more than twice. Usually, we would meet for a drink, have a chat, and that was the end of it. Sometimes, we would meet a second time, then that was the end of it. What I found, in addition to the basic problem that evidently nobody would ever want me in the first place, is that most of the women fell into one of two categories: (1) they had just had an arguement with their boyfriend and answered my ad on a whim just "to show him," so to speak, or (2) they had an extraordinarily lofty opinion of themselves and spent hundreds of hours per week trying to find "the perfect match who is out there some where." 'Out there' is probably a good description of that notion. Well, the women from category (1) were often quite pleasant, but after meeting me and perhaps a few other new people, they nearly always wound up back with the old boyfriend, or at least that's what they said. Women from category (2) were definitely 'out there' and probably still are. Sadly, my experiences with the Polish Fast Date, reported on here earlier, demonstrate that silliness know no national boundaries, or time boundaries either. Most of the women fell into the same two categories, with the same results. And so it goes....
Baggage Handler
Anonymous's picture
Funny, I thought women had many more intricate and complex ways of letting someone down gently. I am a bit disappointed by your dual outcome theory JT.
Baggage Handler
Anonymous's picture
Actually JT you have given me a splendid idea. I think I might open a dating agency that capitalises on the more "eccentric" end of the market. "Drawing Down the Loon"???
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Where do i sign up?
Baggage Handler
Anonymous's picture
Right here, Liana. And can you pass this spare application form to Freda?
Jay
Anonymous's picture
After reading Justyn's post I finely figured what sorted was all about, my! how the English language has changed over the years. Anyway can anyone join in or is there an age discrimination thing in this sorted business only I know of a couple both tiny, both age 85yrs who have just married and they did look lovely standing at the Altar, not that I have that in mind. Baggage Handler are you new on here? no sweat if you would rather not answer. Sabelle in a thread on a different subject someone said then you were funny and made them laugh I so agree and love your thread on this one...
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Well Sadie it's the 'I'm new here' bit that precludes you from knowing what is rather nice and what is isn't.
Skeeter
Anonymous's picture
Sabelle........bitter and twisted and poisoned..mmm, sounds good! And you look like Halle Berry. A full hand, I think.
freda
Anonymous's picture
How dared you suggest I was eccentric! Sign me up imeeeeeeediately!
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
A hand full from what I remember. Halle's Berrys I mean of course.
sabelle
Anonymous's picture
Well, I'm short like Halle, the rest is being worked on. Jay, you are making my day! I'm glad my silly comments make someone laugh!!
freda
Anonymous's picture
I am looking for someone intelligent kind gifted generous and gorgeous for 2 days a week. They could live in or camp out at the back rent free. I could also do with someone useful , domestic and silent with a bag of tools, good with children and animals, for one other day of the week. And the rest of my time I prefer my own company.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Baggage Handler, Interesting story: I worked in the same department with a woman named, let's say Kathleen. in the late 70s. She later moved to the UK and married a British guy. That was in about the mid-80s. Back in the mid-90s I was talking with someone else who had worked in that same group and I asked about Kathleen. I was told that she had moved to California but was still married to the same guy. I made some offhand comment about how she had no doubt met him at Heathrow the first day she landed and that he had been one of the baggage handlers at the airport. My friend looked at me with this shocked expression, saying, "How did you know that?" "I didn't know it, but it just sounded like such a classic 'Kathleen' thing to do, I figured it must be what happened." I only bring this up because of the Baggage Handler moniker, unless of course you happened to be married to a red-haired American woman....?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
So this 'Kathleen' was a bit of a baggage then?
Sadie
Anonymous's picture
I'm sure everyone's very nice
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Ah well, you'll learn.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
duffle bag
Sadie
Anonymous's picture
I'm sure even you are nice deep down
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
hahahaha you sure? or was she a 'duff old bag'?
Jay
Anonymous's picture
My true name is Kathleen which I have always liked if anyone's interested>>>>NO>>>>>doesn't supprise me really because I have just been discriminated against because of age in thread above>>>>> so go and play your silly little games on your own see if I care think I'll retire early for once and read my book, no hardship as there is a hunk of a man in it and I know he likes me>>>>>>and no you can't climb in bed and read it with me or even borrow it when I finish it find your own women/man and book might teach you not! to exclude me in future... Would loved to haved seen some of your faces when you read the above, doing a Grec on you now HEE HEE HEE...
The Observer
Anonymous's picture
He isn't.
Jay
Anonymous's picture
After what's gone on in the past maybe Grec is trying to make an effect and who can resist nice things said about them certainly not me. I'm either being soppy or a fool hope its the first one and there are better things to come. After all nothing like living in hope even if you die in disspare...
The Observer
Anonymous's picture
General Disspare
sabelle
Anonymous's picture
General Disorder
a. ghast
Anonymous's picture
well it looks like several people have ruined a perfectly good thread by w.anking on about nothing in a dull way
Grec
Anonymous's picture
o o s ~~
Grec
Anonymous's picture
It's "heh heh" actually. Jay - you spoke to two people on this thread, Baggage Handler and Sabelle. Sabelle replied, saying you had made her day. Baggage Handler - now bear with me here - is possibly not a new member of abc. The chances are (I know, I'm going out on a limb here) Baggage Handler is a troll. Trolls do not interact with dear old ladies. They don't talk back to anyone, unless it's to upset or take the piss out of someone... ...and you're well too loved for that. Aw... Heh heh.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
*pass the sick bag*
Topic locked