Traditional Carols of the Future

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Traditional Carols of the Future

I can’t imagine a Christmas without hearing Slade. But will there come a time, say in about 50 years, when one could go a whole Christmas without hearing them? And if so, how will it come about? Will radio DJs gradually leave off playing it?

Or – and here’s a thought – will it always, always be one of those records you reach for at Christmas time? In other words, in 1000 years time will “Merry Christmas Everybody” be as much a traditional carol as “Jingle Bells”?

Mind you, not everybody has Noddy Holder’s distinctive vocal cords, so that’s unlikely. But perhaps someone will do a quieter, gentler version. Will Noddy’s descendents still be earning royalties from the song at the turn of the next millennium?

What other traditional carols could there be in 1000 years? Here’s some suggestions:

1) Band Aid’s “Do They Know it’s Christmas?”
2) Queen’s “Thank God it’s Christmas.”
3) The Pogues & Kirsty McCall’s “Fairytale of New York.”
4) Chris Rea’s “Driving Home for Christmas.”
5) Tom Waites’ “Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis.”
6) Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s “The Power of Love.”
7) Carlene Davies and Trinity’s “Santa Clause, Do You Ever Come to the Ghetto?”
8) Machel’s “Soca Santa.”

Far fetched ideas? Well, Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” is already pretty much a traditional number for carol singers isn’t it? (Mind you, he might have been doing a cover version).

spag
Anonymous's picture
I agree with Tony. here, here.
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
What about John Lennon's Happy Christmas/War is Over - the only modern Christmas song worth hearing apart from the Pogues and the much missed Kirsty McCall. Think I'll stick with the carols myself. Bah Humbug.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I have a Slade-free Christmas every year! Thank god! But Elvis Presley's Blue Christmas and Silent Night get a hammering every year along with Brenda Lee - Rockin' around the Christmas Tree and Roy Orbison - Pretty Paper.
Topic locked