Suggestion:Announce Your Own Writing Forum

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Suggestion:Announce Your Own Writing Forum

Here is a suggestion. I see several times, just today, that someone has posted info regarding his or her own writing. See here:

http://www.abctales.com/forum/2006/01/14/the-test-of-i

And also here:

http://www.abctales.com/forum/2006/01/14/xy-a-world-without-men-chapter-7

I am sure this is a common occurrence.

Frankly, I'm just as interested in what authors have to say about their work as other people's comments. Wouldn't it be good to have a forum dedicated to writers that want to announce and discuss their favorite pieces? I know that this might be subject to abuses, but it seems like a component that's missing from ABC Tales.

Most of what I select for reading comes from the "Talk" area of this website, accessed by clicking down into the names of posters to these forums. I would definitely like an area to watch for certain authors, submitting work that they consider worth reading and worthy of further elaboration. I think it would also be good to have an area where a writer can preface a work with some elaboration and commentary without having to add this to the "excerpt" portion of the submittal.

Does anyone else agree that this would be useful? Maybe an "Announce Your Own Writing" forum? Perhaps has been tried in the past, and is not workable, but it seems like a good idea, and I bet it would become the most popular forum at ABC Tales!

Not sure why this would work CC, by adding work into 'recently added' an author is already announcing their own work. I'm sure that most people (well those interested in literature rather than just gossip) on here read through this everytime they enter the site, and read through what is new. This is one of the reasons it becomes very annoying when people 'flag' up their own work, as readers we like to decide who to read ourselves rather than have stuff shoved at us with the repetitive 'Hi I'm new, here is everything I have written over the past ten years please can I have some feedback as I feel it is time for me to get it all published!' I know when this does happen it makes me much less inclined to read the writers work either then or in the future. Also, writers do get to comment on their own work if they are lucky (and good) enough to be flagged by someone else, imagine a forum where every writer on here could comment on their stuff, what would it be called...the ego thread? It would be endless... not everything on here is worthy of being flagged up unfortunately!
Ha ha -- ego thread! That says it all. Okay, you've got me convinced this is a bad idea. I guess I'm looking for a way to learn more about the author's intentions, to help me select what to read, without relying on other people's opinions. But, as you say, this would probably be abused.
I do not think this would be a wise decision. Any ego-centred writer would loudly acclaim his own praise and merit and readers might be just be too polite to answer. There might be exceptions to the rule, but as Camus said by "publishing" an author invites opinions and he or she could then continue to explain or comment. Yes? Love you all! Yutka:)

I don't read anyone who posts their own writing on this particular forum, it really pisses me off. Like someone else said, I'm capable of looking at recently added for myself thanks. Write well, get read. You want an opinion about everything you write, join a class with a tutor. Gosh I'm harsh...but it's not my only fruit...

Purplehaze

Purple you gotta give some people a break though. Most people that post on this forum their own work have just joined and don't know any better. If you wanna get pissed off at someone get pissed off at me. "oxygen is for losers."

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

hello - i've been snooping around here for just two days and it seems this happens an awful lot - 3 or 4 times since yesterday? Perhaps, as it is usually new folk who don't know how it works, there could be a littlesign above the main forum box saying 'please don't recommend your own work or ask for crit here, recommend others, that's how it works' or 'flag your own work here and everyone will hate you for it' Something like that? :D nicky

just read the info - and the other comments - it is all making better sense now! it's a whole new world, Ta ;D

'You want an opinion about everything you write – join a class with a tutor.' Agree with that entirely. Stuff gets read, if it grabs someone’s attention, it gets commented on. Realistically, there's too much through put here to guarantee feedback on every piece regardless. However, because of this, there is also a risk that people who flag their own stuff get commented on, out of politeness, over and above those who haven't the self-confidence to do so. As you're always going to have people doing this, maybe a separate forum for the self-flagged work wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Gosh - just like buses...
i guess that those who r new on this site or have little experience with writing are most likely 2 flag their own work and that's because they just want to be noticed and they r in a very bad need 2 get a feed back.. whether u r new here or not defintely u remember that feeling when u first finished a story or a poem..u were like... GOD! I'VE FINISHED, that deserves a Noble..2 proud and enthusuastic and waiting for any discussion for encouragement from anyone anywhere. so dont blame any 4 announcing their work..it's just a way 2 say ..hello am i writer 2..see wat i wrote?

Mahitab Ghozlan

a self-flagulator's forum........eeeks! I thunk it would be nice if we could see how many times our stories have been read from editing page... :) I think many people who post on here have no other way of recieving valuable constructive critisisms... There fore we all ought to flag each other more regularly :)

maisie angel Guess what?  I'm still alive!

mahy - we also don't like text-speak! We are a community of writers who, by and large, strive to communicate using all the wonders of the English language. The lazy short forms of the mobile telephone are not needed here!
yeah i guess you are right tcook,i'm just used to writing in that "text speak" sort of thing,(sometimes i forget and answer my exams in that form!)it's not what i am supposed to be doing i know.thanks for the remark anyway.. maisie you said that instead of "self flagging",anyone who post on here can check how many times his work has been read.. as if this would help!..i guess it makes it worse,for me when i find that almost 100 people have read my story and no one comments on it..i get confused, if had recieved something like "that was horrible.. awfel" it would have been better because at least you get to know what's wrong and how to fix it. Enzo said somewhere here that anyone new have to read others' work and try to comment on it before expecting any comments on his own work,i think he's right.

Mahitab Ghozlan

yeah but you cant count how many *read* it ... some may just open it and think *oh no*.. and close it, but it would be nice to see none the less...... i think when they dont comment, its because they didnt think it was *bad* but rather just *ordinary*, i thnk we are moved to comment on what *moves* us....

maisie angel Guess what?  I'm still alive!

thanks! ordinary is not good..(like bad for me) but at least now i can start thinking ..clearly

Mahitab Ghozlan

Guess that's where the 'allow my stuff to be rated' thing came in handy. That had its merits for the shy amongst us wanting some sort of instant feedback. Is that still available or did it get abused?
Topic locked