'Like'

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
'Like'

Someone's probably said this before, but I wish there was a 'Like' option when reading ABC Tales material (as in FB).

I'm a poor critic, but sometimes when reading a piece that I've particularly enjoyed I just wish I could click a Like button to let the writer know that I ..... well, that I liked it.

On occasion I'd feel better doing this without having to write a Comment that may sound patronising, doesn't truly convey what I feel about the piece or comes out wrong.

Just a thought

Kim Rooney

Unlike?

We're writers, surely we can come up with something?
might like (if I'd read it)

How about writing: "I like this"? Or if pushed for time, "Like? I'd rather someone said that on a story of mine than liked it but said nothing.
Like, I know where you're coming from, like. Know what a mean, like? Maybe readers could be given access to the 'Delete' button? Imagine how many times a day I would have to upload my posts. "Yer 'avin' it." "No we're not." "Yes y'are." "No we're not." "Yes y'are..."

Parson Thru

So this feature appears to have been added. Well done FTSE!
I think Highhat's correct in that we’re all scribblers and should be able to come up with the right words, it's just that I'm crap at that. You might read a piece that you haven't particularly enjoyed, that may even have bored you a little, but you can see the writer has worked pretty damned hard on it. The last think you want to do is discourage him/her, but if you start critiquing the work it may very well have that effect. So you do want to offer some encouragement, although you can hardly say, “I can see you’ve worked very hard on this, but have you swallowed a thesaurus?” Alternatively, if we comment what a marvellous piece we think it is and how it’s really touched our hearts and had us weeping for an hour afterwards, we’re not really coming from a place of sincerity, are we? Sometimes I read a piece and think, “I enjoyed that,” but that’s as far as it goes. I’m never going to read it again. The last think I want to do is have to comment on every piece I read. I’m hardly in a position too anyway, not being a Hemingway, a Steinbeck or a Mark Twain myself. If I’ve got time to read five pieces, I may only get to read three of them if I have to comment on each and every one, but I do like to offer some encouragement. From a personal viewpoint, writers like to have their work read and appreciated, and even though I don’t really take my writing that seriously I kind of like to know that someone’s read my stuff and enjoyed it. To know that 100 people had read it and I have 20 ‘Likes’ would be pleasing. I guess I feel that people may have enjoyed a particular piece, but the writer will never know it because they’re disinclined to comment. A quick ‘Like’ may not quite be a standing ovation, but at least it’s a polite clapping of the hands.

Karl- I am often at loss as to what to write when I have enjoyed a piece and it really bothers me that I lack superlatives or even the right words for encouraging someone to try harder. I don't mind saying that I cried for an hour after reading something though I am often in doubt as to interpretation and hit myself on the head for that. I don't mind people trying to tweak my poems- I can take it or leave it but I'd hate for someone to say that it was downright crap- it's suffient that I think that myself. I think it is all right with the 'LIKE' button as reading and commenting is time consuming and I can see that a lot of people may be pressed for time. So it is better to press like than nothing at all. Personally I prefer to leave a comment however short or lacking it may be. But that's just me and honestly I have too much time. Ha ha So good on the 'like' function.
Like :-)

No worries Foots. I've also noticed that if multiple people like something, it appears as 'and [3] others like this', without displaying the original likers name (or did a couple of hours ago, I'm sure you're probably still tweaking behind the scenes)- just a heads up. Definitely a good new feature in my eyes, but I will leave the R&D to the man himself!
Nice one FTSE. Some of the comments made me cry pretty hard, but not as hard as hearing my train has been cancelled. Actually, it's not really mine. I borrowed it.

Parson Thru

But now someone else has taken it- from you-unfair PT- you snatch the next one- I won't tell!
We now the option to like! Yeah! Like like like like I've been wanting to like for like ages!

Parson Thru

All this like like liking is making abctales sound like Belfast city center, like. I think the 'like' feature is a good idea so long as it doesn't lead to laziness in commenting, as I'm sure it won't since we're all a great, helpful bunch here!
The thing is, I've always wanted to be able to like other people's comments...

FTSE, Great job. The editor's have the option to Cherry Pick without leaving a comment, now we have the same option to show appreciation of someone's work quickly. Thank you.