writers block

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
writers block

i am what i call myself a novice writer, and i am experiencing what i believe is writers block! anyone got any exercises or ideas to go beyond this all ideas welcome cheers marksman!

shoot for the moon! james mcatear

shoot for the moon!

james mcatear

You can use the weekly 'inspiration point' on the home page here. It's helped a number of people in the past. It's just a little nudge to get your creative juices flowing. Try and write short, pithy stuff rather than embarking on a major project and you'll find it will all come back to you! Best of luck.
I concur with point two (the notebook). I find the act of writing down the ideas becomes habitual - and it's then you realise that you were having loads of ideas all the time, but previously, you'd forgotten them before you knew you'd had them.
Coming to this a bit late, but it struck a chord because I've been 'stuck' myself for the last couple of months - reached that point where I was actively avoiding sitting down to write, and avoiding anything (including ABC Tales!) that reminded me I should be writing. What eventually helped me was approaching it in a totally different way. Normally I write straight to computer (although I always carry a notebook around with me for ideas) but after the 954th game of Freecell and another evening spend exploring MSN Games, I decided to just abandon the computer completely. Also stopped actively trying to be creative - just wrote in my notebook what I saw on the street, dreadful, plodding prose that I felt was being dragged out of me. Then I got two rejection letters which were the best spur of all - reminded me that I AM actually in the business of writing, and have the scars to prove it, and made me want to prove something as they were both from publications which have previously taken my work. Onwards and upwards.
shoot for the moon! james mcatear THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY MARGHARITA I THINK ITS RIGHT TO TRY AND STOP TRYING TO BE CREATIVE,BECAUSE I'M LEARNING THAT YOU CANNOT FORCE A GOOD POEM OR STORY ETC,IF YOUVE BEEN CREATIVE BEFORE THEN SURELY IT WILL COME BACK, WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!I WILL TAKE A NOTEBOOK ON MY TRAVELS AS YOU SUGGEST,AND WAIT FOR THE CREATIVE JUICES TO FLOW!

shoot for the moon!

james mcatear

for me, i feel writing isnt a forced thing. I just find moments in time where things touch me that i feel will touch others. so i write about it. Or sometimes i'll come up with a phrase thats catchy to the ear, then build on it. Sophia Grace

Sophia Grace

Topic locked