FIlms

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
FIlms

I saw there was an old film thread, but it's all locked up. I love films. I did it for my degree. I work in a subsection of a subsection of the industry (designing the website for a film vfx company) and I often find that after watching a good film I want to write something. That it inspires me in a more immediate way than books do. Maybe that's bad, but it's true.

Anyway, last night I went to see "I Love You , Man" with my girlfriend. I wanted to see In The Loop, but the decision was out of my hand. Anyway, I'm glad it was, because I loved it. I laughed out loud many times, which is all I ask for really. Paul Rudd's great. I think it might have a problem with the title though, because it makes it sound like a romantic comedy aimed at women, which it could be, but it's more about the relationships between men. Not that I care, seeing as I love a romantic comedy aimed at women.

So, films yeah? Discuss.

Run, Lola, Run (they're discussing films).
Who are? I can discuss that film though. I like it. I like the idea of a film just totally stripped down to it genre compnents. Like a car with no shell.... is shell the right word, it doesn't sound right - I don't know cars. Crank does a smiliar thing, in a more trashy less German way. I feel no shame in saying I love that film too.

I loved Red Cliff 2 – A Chinese film directed by John Woo. I don’t know if it’s available in the UK. It’s a very clever, visually stunning film about power, duty and the madness of war. There is an absolutely huge cast, reminiscent of Hollywood in its heyday and a lovely Taoist influence that emphasises the power of understanding the cycles of nature. My favourite scene is where the sage is stood on top of the cliff waiting for the precise moment to wave his fan and ‘flip the wind’... the best portrayal of ‘The Butterfly Effect’ I’ve ever seen.
I haven't heard of it. Do you need to see Red Cliff 1 first?

If it was me I would have seen In The Loop. In fact I did.

I haven't seen Red Cliff 1, Cooper and it didn't make any difference to my enjoyment of RED Cliff 2. Seemingly Red Cliff had an estimated budget of US$80 million which made it the most expensive Asian-financed film to date - so far as I know. It was realeased in two parts due to its 4 hour length. Red Cliff 1 made over US$124 million in Asia. However, a single 2½ hour version will be released worldwide sometime this year.
There are too many films that appeal :-) difficult to whittle it down to a 'Desert Island' list. I wonder, which films have stood the test of time and engage you as much now, as they did on first viewing?

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. forty years old, and it's still one of my favorite films. I'm a teenager btw Probably the most entertaining film (not best, just pure entertainment) I've seen this year would have to be Gran Torino. Clint Eastwood is a God among men.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

Anybody seen "My Favourite Year" with Peter O'Toole? I absolutely loved it but everybody I speak to thinks it's a turkey.

Topic locked