"Text talk" in poetry.

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Text talk" in poetry.

I curious to know what people think of the use of words/abbreviations being used in poetry that come from text messaging and the use of instant chat (msn, gchat, etc) services.
I have been finding that when I use these in my poetry, people often find it off-putting.
I find it a curious point/criticism, because I honestly don't see why people have a problem with it.
For me this sort of thing is a natural step in the evolution of everyday language - we don't write in the same way we did a few or even a couple of hundred years ago because the language we use on a regular basis has changed, so why would we?
I find it odd that there is this aversion to people using modern language in modern poetry. Maybe it's because of the fact that the change is so explicitly a technology based one means that it seems less natural to some people? Less valid somehow because of it?
I don't know. It's something I find genuinely interesting. "Text talk" is fought against so much, but I honestly don't see how it is any different from any other change in the way we use language.
I would be interested to know what you think about this, what your reactions are when you see this language used in poetry, and why you think there is the reaction there is to this.

An interesting point. When I first came across textspeak I was appalled. I am a purist when it comes to language - but I agree with you that it has become so universal and such a part of everyday life that it would be foolish to ignore it and even more foolish to disavow it. Language does evolve - and as technology speeds up everything it also speeds up that evolution of speech and writing. Having said that I must admit that I, as an old fart, still find it difficult to accept. I prefer poetry written using modern language but not going so far as textspeak - but if it's used well then I'm up for it. Onwards to oblivion!
I see its point in rattling off a quick text message... but I confess that I can't bring myself to use it, I rarely text at all, but if I have to, I do it in full words. In the past when my son has text me it can take me five minutes to work out what the hell he's said. Our language is beautiful. I think it'd be a great shame to have text talk seeping into prose and poetry until it becomes commonplace and our true language is lost. But I am another old fart and I do think it's possibly a generational thing.

I mostly agree with Tony, AKT, but all language has its place. The trouble is, old farts like me have trouble keeping up with the changes. I try to follow my kids' activities on Facebook and other social networking sites, but a lot of the time I haven't got a clue what they're talking about. Which, I reckon, with the ever changing language of youth culture, is the entire point - the terminology changes to stop old farts like me from spying.
I think any kind of language is fair game if there's a reason for using it. I'm fine with text language in texts but even in my work emails people have started saying 'pls' instead of 'please' and I don't see the point of that. It's not like emails have a character limit. Having said that, Susie Dent of Countdown fame says we should all just calm down and accept the changes. http://www.atl.org.uk/publications-and-resources/report/2011/september-2....
By all means invent new words to carry new thoughts, concepts, emotions and shades of meaning but chopping wrds in2 litlbts is, in my humble view, like heading back in the direction of scratching symbols on rocks. Abbreviation not only truncates the words themselves but inevitably reduces their ability to carry nuances and shades of meaning. They are not new words, not even the skeletons of old words, but merely a few dry bones.
I use abbreviations for texts, mainly to stave off the arthritis in the thumb! For speed also of course. There may be some place for use of this text-speak in literary work of a particular style. However I have been known occasionally to insert a little abbreviation into my poems/stories, (mainly when I would quite like to swear - which goes against the grain!) but only where I feel it doesn't look out of place. Of course language does evolve, but it must be gradual, sensible and consensual. I love using language. English is beautiful and rich and should be savoured not degraded. Guess I am just another old fart-ess. To coin a word. Linda

Linda

Thanks for these thoughtful responses! Really interesting to read your opinions. The most interesting point made for me is the generational one. I have to say that this time last year, I wouldn't have DREAMED of using text speak in a poem, but in the last year I have started reading a lot more internet poetry from people in their late teens and early-mid twenties, who seem to have grown up with the internet being a very big part of their lives and of how they interact with each other. A lot of the people I've read call what they do "Alt lit," and they have made their own scene based on it. They will think nothing of using text speak in their poetry, because for them it has been a part of how they have grown up, so their feeling is, "Well, why wouldn't we?" One of the leading figures of the scene is a guy called Steve Roggenbuck, who cites E.E. Cummings as an influence, which makes sense as he played around a lot with punctuation use and joining words together. They see this playing with language as being no different to them using text speak in their own compositions, and my own feeling is that there is no reason why they shouldn't. That said, one of the tenets of alt lit is to use deliberately misspelled words, mirroring the speedy mistypings you see so often on messenger services, internet forums, YouTube comments, and so on. While I may have embraced the use of text speak, this use of misspelled words is something I could never see myself doing, as for me personally that IS a step too far, but I can see what they're doing and why they do it. I also think Florian's point on the reduction of words is a very interesting one to consider. I wonder if the younger poets I've been reading give the same weight to the language that is being used, or if in their mind it is more about the general feeling of a piece? A significant portion of the work produced in alt lit reads very similarly to slogans and they will think nothing of producing a work that is a single sentence imposed upon a photograph. Maybe their entire attitude to language is one that we simply cannot fully connect with because we have not grown up in the same way that they have.

because for them it has been a part of how they have grown up, ...God this phrase scares me. And it is so true. Kids are growing up using this language. They are the next generation who will be writing our books and running the country. In fifty years... maybe a hundred, our words today will seem like Olde English does to us now. That's so sad... but necessary evolution, I suppose.

Another old fart, I'm afraid. And especially when I text my son I make sure to use correct grammar and punctuation, so he at least reads SOMETHING during the day that will help him with the written word. In poetry? Your choice. However you could never, ever write a business letter in text speak, and if you can't write a business letter (or email correspondence) it kind of limits your effectiveness in the workplace.

I personally don't like the idea of using textspeak in literature; I don't even use it when texting. However, I wouldn't be totally opposed to the use of textspeak if it is used like any other poetic device to create a certain effect or atmosphere. This is why I don't think it will become an everyday thing in literature. The words we have now are needed in poetry. For example, with assonance a certain effect can be created by the words (and how they are made up -sounds, syllables etc) to emphasise a point within the poem. With textspeak, where vowels are often eradicated from words, this effect would not be fully achievable (especially because poetry can sometimes be about the visuals on the page, as well as what you read). Having said this, obviously we read textspeak as the full word, but, when the time and money of typing a text isn't an issue, why use it? Plus, texts are written to be read quickly, not to be paced specifically to suit the subject, like in a poem. Again, this doesn't mean textspeak can't be used at times as a poetic device. As writers, we have so much flexibility, so many options within our language. I think textspeak would simply reduce our options.
shaL i compR thee 2a summer's dai? thou art mo ♥ly & mo temper8: ruff winds do shAk d darlin buds of May, & summer's lease hath aL 2short a d8. Ah yes, gottit down 2 a T :) http://www.ukauthors.com
Gr8 stuff.
Andrea, that made me laugh. Have you thought about re-writing the Bible?

Brilliant Andrea, reading that, for the first time ever my son would have a better understanding of Shakespeare than me.

Alas, it wasn't me, I nicked it :) I haven't even got a mobile... http://www.ukauthors.com
To me it's on par with starting sentences with 'so', saying 'like' too often and making everything sound like a question?. Using text speak in speech just sounds affected and rather silly so why use it in written language? (genuine question!) and this really is the question, what does it bring to your poem and how does it improve it? Maybe you can get away with it in a certain kind of poem, it would certainly put your work bang in the modern day. If you want to use it, use it sparingly and wisely, like swearing, otherwise it gets irritating and rather boring, then again, I am in the old fart club.

Some folk swear their heads off. From whatever social background. It's appalling, shocking to hear, but now it's everywhere. Flippin' horrible too ..