Writing Exercise

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Writing Exercise

Karl Wiggins has kindly offered to prepare a daily writing exercise for us. The first one's gone up today and I'd love to know if you try it and if so, what the end result is, as I think it will probably show the many and varied directions that the same starting point can go in. Check it out at
http://www.abctales.com/abcplex/viewfeature.cgi?f=344

Cheers

Em

fish
Anonymous's picture
i've done one too ... ten minutes ... posted as written ...
stormy whether?
Anonymous's picture
me too. poobum got it ..... prob oz i used the word sh it and forgot to change the rating from U. 15 mins .... heavily edited .... am bad typist when words come rushing out.
fish
Anonymous's picture
LOVED it storms ...
Fecky
Anonymous's picture
Being thick, I didn't know how to enter so I sent it by email. Am I right in now supposing it has to be entered as a story?
fish
Anonymous's picture
yes fecky post as normal ...
stormy whether?
Anonymous's picture
thanks Fish but I didn't think it was at all good after I read the submissions that the rest of you have made so far. All I can say is ...wow. But at least it made me write, which is the point of the exercise. anyway, I think I cheated. When I first saw the exercise all that came to mind was 'shine on you crazy diamond'. remember when you were young and your eyes shone like the sun. these formed the first two lines of a 10 line poem I then wrote which continued with shine on you crazy charlady you wore out your dusters with random indecision sometimes on creaking knees... and so on for 10 crap lines purloined from the floyd. I deleted it and went and cooked a meal. During the meal my mind roamed around the memories of my life and I left the table to write that. looking forward to more of these exercises. good idea karl it's ok. I have taken my pill of sincerity tonight.
robert
Anonymous's picture
i've had a go too...must confess i took a lot longer than 10 mins...at least haf an hour i think...is that cheating? my favourite piece so far has to be dogstar's, which i think is a good poem by any standard and amazing for 10 mins...liked stormy's a lot too..
beef
Anonymous's picture
I liked Mr Pack's, it was very different than I expected it to be. And Stromy's (Stromy's? I like that, I won't retype it. Sorry Mr Petrel!). And all I can say is - THANK YOU KARL! I finally wrote something after 6 weeks!!
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
Glad you're all enjoying it. For the next week or so the exercises will be fairly neutral, but then they'll get more adventurous.
stormy whether?
Anonymous's picture
No 3 is up. looks like my turn to be first tonight. mind you, the site is so slow at the moment I was surprised I managed to post it.
martin_t
Anonymous's picture
just did one too...as ordered, although i think i took 11 minutes....it has to go through the poobumwilly filter, although I don't remember swearing in it.. I'll probably swear when i read it again though... :-)
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
There were some very good ones. Mine, I must confess was just to get the bloody story out of my head so I can write some proper stuff. It frees you up a lot, just saying, right I'll spend ten minutes writing it and whether it works or not, it's done. Think my favourite is Roberts, though Beef was very good.
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
cargo of heavy karma... yum
stormy whether?
Anonymous's picture
cheers dog, I've just read yours, Liana's and fish's submissions. all three superb.
Eddie
Anonymous's picture
I was so impressed by the quality of the responses to this idea that I've had a go as well. I rarely write, due to being in the custody of The Poetry Police, who keep looking over my shoulder saying ' tut, tut, you call THAT poetry, sunshine?' The beauty of writing to order lies in the fact that you can say to yourself 'It's only an exercise, who cares if it's crap.' It really might be crap, but at least you've written SOMETHING - and you might just return to it later and turn it into something good. Ta, Karl.
dickstar
Anonymous's picture
i just did my friday homework. have discovered i seem to have a good day - bad day thing going... yesterday was a good day. ho hum.
Hellen
Anonymous's picture
ok so I did the exercise and now I think I need therapy. Its unfinished and weird and totally me!
robert
Anonymous's picture
ta andrew. nobody bothering with the second exercise? just done mine but the filter got it [fair cop]
Liana
Anonymous's picture
didnt think there was a new one? the link on the front page sent me to the same as yesterdays...... ?
Liana
Anonymous's picture
oops, my mistake. i didnt read to the end of the tip... i thought it would be a totally different form of exercise, not just an altered beginning like...
dogshite
Anonymous's picture
ah jist did wan an aw an its howfin by the way -
stormy whether?
Anonymous's picture
only just got round to it Robert. posted 5 mins ago and it is now on a tour of the virtual sewage works filtration area.
fish
Anonymous's picture
am GOING to do one ... honest ...
robert
Anonymous's picture
so that's one person who's done it, one who's GOING to do it [oh yeah right etc] and one person i don't understand...still looks a bit lonely in the last 10..
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
poo bum willy
robert
Anonymous's picture
had a bash at today's...now regretting it...
fish
Anonymous's picture
i DID it ... so THERE ...
Judith
Anonymous's picture
Don't laugh - I'm only leaving it up temporarily http://www.abctales.com/abcplex/viewStory.cgi?s=15672 It reminds me of my creative writing classes at school when teacher would give us a line for a poem/ story
dogstar
Anonymous's picture
i just put one up too and how sweet... it's awaiting review. @!#$.
Topic locked