Books by ABCtales authors

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
Books by ABCtales authors

If you've got a book to sell then please let me know. Take a look at the front page where we've put up a new Magazine section to help promote your books, be they compilations, poetry or prose.

I may shortly be looking into self-publishing a collection of Larry & Micks - either via an Arts Council grant or off my own back. Anyone out there who'd like a copy...? :-) * P * :-)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Yes. Me.
One reserved for josiedog! Anyone else? :-) * P * :-)

Great idea! I'd be up for reading members work deffo! ;)

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Well I do have a book to sell, but I haven't had a great deal of success selling it here up until now. I could do with some help, you know, a break. It's not a crap book. Buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
Many thanks to Tony for his review of Warsaw Tales and the posting in this new section!
are we talking novels too? are we talking about books already in paper form ready to be sent to someone or those still on a shiny disc only? are we talking about the 'quick reads' thing (which sounds like a great idea BTW) or full books? If the answers are: yes, either and full, then ME TOO PLEASE!!!!!!! My book's been written so long the parchment is starting to curl at the edges!! Not a single travelling door-to- door publisher has called round asking if there are any books that need publishing. I'm even considering sending it out are we awake? we're not sure... are we..... black? yes we are. Then we're awake but we're very puzzled.
Tom should write his own blurb... "It's not a crap book" ...! :-) * P * :-)

BTW, anyone know any good self-publishers? :-) * P * :-)

Are you asking me, Pep? No, I don't but there are loads out there I'm sure. It isn't a crap book. Don't know what else to say about it. All of the stories in it were on ABC back in the day. Quite a few were chosen for the front page. It's almost impossible for someone who only writes short stories to get a collection out in this country. If you support me you will go some way to disproving the publishers who say there isn't a market for writers who don't write novels. All I'm asking is that people should give the book a go. Believe me, it's a humble request. Buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
Just jibbin' ya, Tom! But seriously, from my thus far limited experience, it does indeed seem to be a tricky thing to get a collection of short stories published. Odd, really, as I would've thought, with attention spans of the general populace apparently shortening, short stories would be the preferred medium. If we were SF writers in the 1960's, we might have had a better chance! :-) * P * :-)

Very true. Or now in America, where dozens of stand alone short story collections are published every year. Because of writers like Raymond Carver and Richard Ford the short story is valued there. Buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
Perhaps we need to focus on American publishers then? :-) * P * :-)

Only if you plan to move there. Buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
Ely - all of those are acceptable. I guess people really want to buy a book - printed on paper with a proper cover etc. - but if anyone wants to promote any other kind of book, so long as they make it clear what format it is in, then we will help to promote it. Tom - I have a copy of your book - and I have read it. It's excellent. do you have a reivew by soemone else or would you like me to put one up. I will add yours to our new list. Justyn - your collection is living with me. I shall expand the review some time today as I don't think I did it sufficient justice. Buy it now everyone - it's only 4 quid including p and p from Poland! Go to the link from the Front Page. Pepsoid - there are plenty of opportunities to self publish in the UK - but don't believe a word they say about 'marketing'. That will be down to you. Just pay for the print run and the ISBN number - and keep the initial print run as low as you can. Digital printing methods mean that you can print on demand and don't need to 'advance buy' a whole heap of copies that will gather dust in the corner of your dwelling and depress you.
I've got one book out and another on the way if that's of interest Tony. The Morning After is avaible on amazon (unfortunately at a ridiculous price), the first two chapters of which are here on abc in case anyone wants a read and thinks they make the cover price worth finding out what happens next. There's a review of the book on amazon too, which is very flattering. Second book should be out in a few months, called Wigan is Wonderful, the short story version of which is also on abc, in case it's possible to whet any potential appetites.

Thanks for the info, TC! What I've seen so far of self-publishers, the costs have been somewhat terrifying. If I could, however, find someone who'll initially print just, say, 50-100 (or less...?) copies of the book, or even only print copies when I have orders, that would be ideal. And without marketing. Tell me to bugger off if you think I'm just being lazy, but I don't suppose you (or anyone else) would be able to advise any good starting points, for co's who'd do something like the above? :-) * P * :-)

Thanks again Tony. For the record, I have read Tom's book of stories and I can highly recommend it. In fact, I did the proofreading of it before it went to the publisher, so I read it VERY CAREFULLY and it was still excellent. That's not true of every book, btw. We are selling Warsaw Tales more or less at breakeven. The printing costs are very low in Poland, and we got an even lower price because of 'connections.' Not sure what they were, but I'm assured there were 'connections.' There are always 'connections' in Poland.
A double thanks, Tony. Firstly for buying the book and secondly for your kind offer. I'd be very happy for you to review it. And thanks, too, to whoever bought a copy of the book from Amazon yesterday. I hope you enjoy it. Buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
You did a great job, Jim (Justyn). Thanks. Buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
ja - of course we'd be delighted to help sell it. Just send me the details. Tom - I'll dig out my copy and post up a review shortly. Karl is sending me his details - we'll have a proper little store going in no time! Bobblehat is also sending me his. Any more for any more?
Yeppo. I'll send mine, if that's kosher.
I'd like to send mine (Wicked Baby). Great idea, thanks. Tom, your comments made me laugh - very honest. Seriously, I wish you all the best. Oh, and to JA Simpson - I've read some of your work and enjoyed it. Good luck with your book. Ps Pepsoid, if you want to self-publish then have a look at these sites - the set-up costs are reasonable and they use POD, so they can print as little as one book at a time. http://www.pabd.com http://www.lulu.com
Looks like we got ourselves a snowball effect going here!
Put Chant's books up too. Because they're absolutely bloody excellent, especially Papr: Kut. ~ This be where I keeps me treasures: www.tyrants.co.uk This be where I goes to get me fix: www.fuselit.co.uk Yarr.
Thanks for those links, Tara! I'll check those out... :-) * P * :-)

Pepsoid, if you haven't heard of Lulu and PABD, there is seriously something wrong with you.
Thanks, Tara. Good luck to you, too. Buy my book, visit my blog: http://whatisthisstrangeplace.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the helpful comment, Snitcher. (as it happens, I have heard Lulu mentioned before; I've just never got around to looking at it... so there!) :-) * P * :-)

Didn't she sing that song "Shout"? See, there's nothing seriously wrong with me then.
I may be wrong, but I don't think that Lulu would know much about self-publishing... (!) :-) * P * :-)

Thanks Tara, all the best with yours too. Tony, will email asap with details. Good man for raising this by the way.

*I may be wrong, but I don't think that Lulu would know much about self-publishing...* I wouldn't be so sure, she certainly knows alot about blowing her own trumpet...did you see her on the shite that was 'Just The Two Of Us'? She could certainly teach you one or two things about self promotion.
Thankyou to all of you who have sent me details - been up my neck in poo for a couple of days (i.e. making a living and enough to pay for this site!) so will get the books up over the weekend - see how much I love you all! Keep sending them to me - the more the merrier! In the meantime I urge you all to buy justyn's excellent anthology - you won't regret it! pip pip tony
Hmm, hate my computer at school as it blocks almost everything (including hotmail and yahoo which is particularly annoying). More importantly, it won't let me email you tony at your abc address, is there any other address I can use?

Just seen how badly that reads, so just to clarify, I work in a school, I am not "at" school....

http://www.polskieradio.pl/polonia/article.asp?tId=33698&j=2 At this link you will find a short broadcast made last week on the "Bookworm" show on a Polish radio channel--in English. The British poet Bateman is not in the anthology, but the other three are. This is a strikingly good broadcast. Granted, the Polish accents come through a bit and they made a few minor errors, but all things considered, it is excellent with superior production values. Someone went to a lot of trouble to produce this broadcast and web page. After listening to the broadcast you can save it (about 3.5 megs) if you are so inclined. This is not streaming. It is a download/play process. We are also listed on the home page of European Reader. http://europeanreader.blogspot.com/
it's only available on amazon, so click through from abctales and they get a cut
If my book ever gets finished and published, abctales is going in the acknowledgements. Which, at the moment, is a bit like my saying, if I ever become a double-billionaire, I'll buy you a pony.
Just seen that the page is now up. Thanks for adding my book.
i am currently working on a book right now but i cant get it published when i wanted it.....my friends birthday- probably should just type up a preview.

Tyler King

I'm half-way through my Art Scouser application. Once finished, I hope to be able to pronounce "Alright La'" with a genuine accent which may help me convince them that my Lairy and Mark tales are of great interest to a local online community despite the fact I've given Mark a geordie accent and used non-fiction to state that Lairy is completely mad. Should be less embarrassing at the interview than some others one could mention. Burp. 'Scuse me. Anyone got something peptic?
Topic locked