Movies You've Seen

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Movies You've Seen

Hey everyone! Once again I ask the question, has anyone seen any good movies lately? If not, what's ur fav movies? What you like about them?

I recently rented Crash again, saw History of Violence and Shaolin Soccor.
Yesterday I watched Inside Man and Running Scared with my mom. :)

ALl good movies, I still think Crash deserved best pic at the oscars, and I loved HOV.
Both inside man and RS were good. Running scared was twisted, violent, and well made. And Shaolin Soccor was just rediculous humor. :)

The last film I saw was Brokeback Mountain, and I thought THAT should have won the Oscar. Complete cop-out by the Academy. But my film viewing is normally limited to 'Garfield' or 'Dora the Explorer' or even 'Bob the Builder Goes Ecological', due to the age distribution in my house. I -did- see the last Harry Potter film with my son at the cinema; scared the crap out of me.
I almost never go to the cinema any more, it costs too much, you have to share it with the general public, and you can't have a drink. I did finally get to see Strings (on dvd) over the weekend and it was delightful.

Last film I watched was Brokeback Mountain. I was a little sceptical about it as i usually find that films hyped up by others are a huge disappointment, however I loved it, I was absolutely amazed, awestruck and reduced to huge gulping sobs, which meant that I had to rewatch the ending many times to decipher Heath Ledger's final words, which in case anyone else missed them are... 'Jack, I swear.' Have also recently seen Harry Potter and the G.O.F, I liked it but my kids were a bit disappointed as it was not scary enough for them.
Hardly ever go to the pictures, but saw Good Night and Good Luck. That was good. The original footage slotted in seamlessly - McCarthy hammed it up a bit though - no one could have been THAT awful. Oh, hang on...
Last movie I saw was return of the king...the movie market is as stagnant as the book market at the moment. Anyone for The Cypher Code? The Magdalene Cypher? The Grail Trail? The Van Gogh Mystery? The holy jesus how many more Bleedin Da Vinci Code rip-offs are the public gonna tolerate Cypher? Can't wait for the da vinci code movie, though. Deffo watching that! :)

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Anything with George Clooney is okay by me. That man is GAWgeous. I agree about the general boringness of cinema; how many old 70s movies or cartoons or comic strips can one regurgitate? (Although I will admit, somewhat reluctantly, to liking the Scooby Doo movies the kids forced me to watch, just 'cos they were sooo cheesy...) I tend to wait for things to come out on DVD nowdays. Cheaper and you can pause it if you need to powder your nose in the middle of the film...
Crash was an exceptional film, apart from the dumbed down part where they had to inform the viewer that the bullets were blanks when it was already perfectly clear to anyone with a brain. Why do American films overstate everything? Brokeback Mountain I found kitsch. The story was much better.

Liana

Brokeback Mountain was a very good film, very close to the story by Annie Proulx.

I thought it was a flawless interpretation (BBM); Ang Lee did an excellent job interpreting the stark, spare prose of Proulx's story, and filling out the edges. I bawled like a baby for about three days after seeing the film.
there are just as many great films being made as there ever were, just not all of them make it to the local multiscreen.

I hadn't been to the movies in 17 years but the friends I stay with in Franklin go every week so I've been a few times in the last year. Most recently (January) I've seen, Casanova ... OK I guess but nothing special The Last Holiday ... very funny with some black humour The Family Stone ... loved it Munich ... the best movie I've seen in er... well, 17 years! Walk The Line ... ok, though not very authentic actually, and Joaquin Phoenix wasn't very good to my mind. Brokeback Mountain? No I haven't seen it and don't intend to. Not because of the subject matter but because a) They weren't cowboys, they were fucking SHEPHERDS, but of course gay cowboys has greater macho connotations then gay shepherds. b) if it's a real western where is John Wayne? c) umm... OK, I don't have a GOOD reason for not having seen it...

I want to see V for Vendetta, but it's been absolutely slated in the reviews I've seen so far... can anyone here recommend it? Also recently seen History of Violence - a curiosity! Good story'n'all that, but funny it ways it probably shouldn't be. And, on the other end of the scale, Keeping Mum - funnier than I expected! Sat through Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood the other day, coz my girlfriend got it from Poundland - good acting'n'all that, but... major chickflickiness!! :-) * P * :-)

The All New Pepsoid the Second!

Goodnight and Good Luck was a cool film, well acted, relying on dialogue rather than pyrotechnics. Saw "The Child" recently (or L'Enfant" as the French would have it). Absolutely blinding. Deceptively simple, made on the cheap, no frills (or music!) but well worth a look, if you can bear subtitles - always better on a big screen I think, saves all that squinting.
Pepsoid - V for Vendetta is really a once through film like Gladiator. It has alinear plot, and an inevitability about it that once seen from beginning to end there is little point in seeing it again. There is nothing left to savor again, unlike such movies as: King Kong 1933 Thing From Another World Forbidden Planet Fifth Element Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Thanks, iceman! Speaking of V, specifically its star Hugo Weaving, I'm presently half-way through watching 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' - I didn't previously realise that Hugo was in this, but now I believe it should be required viewing for anyone who has seen him as Agent Smith! (in the Matrix films) - Contrast? 'Understatement' doesn't even come close... :-) * P * :-)

I suppose I should say that while V for Vendetta does have its faults, it is worth watching. Rent it on DVD if you have time.

Oh I'll definitely see it at some point! I'm a big Matrix fan and I think HW is a very fine actor... (Natalie Portman less so)... and I'm most curious about Stephen Fry's role! :-) * P * :-)

Stephen Fry acts very convincingly in the role he plays.

"but now I believe it should be required viewing for anyone who has seen him as Agent Smith! (in the Matrix films) - Contrast? 'Understatement' doesn't even come close..." I haven't seen the film you're on about pepsoid but I think the contrast between Weaving in TLOTR and TM is as stark as it can be. Maybe you haven't watched TLOTR or didn't realise he was in it?
Has no one seen Hidden yet? Very enigmatic and keeping me and a girlfriend entertained many weeks later still discussing it. It reminds me in some ways of Anonioni's 'Blow Up', and like that film has NO music. If you do go to see it KEEP WATCHING as the credits go up. Something happens. My girlfriend missed it. Very puzzling.

Yes, Snitchyboy, I have seen TLOTR (or LotR as it is know to true fans) - and I did know the Hugo-meister was in it! However, I am of the opinion that the contrast between his Agent Smith role (or indeed his top-elfy-bloke role in LotR) and 'Tick' in 'Priscilla...' far exceeds that between his Agent Smith role and his top-elfy-bloke role. So (as they say) there! :-) * P * :-)

For the benefit of Snitcher... http://www.mgm.com/title_title.do?title_star=ADVPRISC ...You see? As I think you'll agree, tiz most unlike any of the other aforementioned HW films. :-) * P * :-)

Topic locked