Brit's Win the Golden Globe. Slumdog Millionaire

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brit's Win the Golden Globe. Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire, Danny Boyle's latest film took home best picture last night here at our Golden Globe awards. Boyle got the best director nod as well. Slumdog also won for score and screenplay. Glad to see this film get the love it deserves.

and of course I can't forget Mickey Rourke's comeback. not that he's british lol.
he walks on accepting his award with a beer in his hand, says the word bitch live, and thanks his dogs in the speech.

the only dissapointment I got was the lack of nominations for eastwood's latest film Gran Torino. easily one of the best films this year.

It's only coming out here this week! I look forward to seeing it - but the Guardian called it mawkish and patronising, so I do feel a little put off!
Going to see it this evening. I'll let you know.

are u talking about slumdog, tony? on imdb.com it's #37 on top 250 films ever. this is by moviegoers so it should be at least decent. my drama teacher says it was amazing. I'm seeing it friday or saturday.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

I am indeed - I'll see what you and bukh make of it!
It's really good. The basic plot is an old fashioned love story but you also get gritty triumph over adversity (and even some bits with subtitles) for the bleeding hearts, and plenty of violence and nastiness for the blokes.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I just watched The Wrestler and I'm rather peeved that Aronofsky hasn't received any recognition for it in these award shows. It's a tremendous film, so moving. Rourke absolutely deserves the accolades he's getting, but I think it's about time Hollywood showed some respect towards this director who must be one of the bravest and uniquely gifted in the world today.

Actually, it did win the Golden Lion, so maybe that's vindication enough for the film as a whole.

π was excellent, and Requiem for a Dream had its moments, but did you see The Fountain? It stank to high heaven. I think Aronofsky still has a lot more to give. Looking forward to The Wrestler though.
I'd disagree with regards The Fountain. The first time I watched it, I found it rather difficult to engage as it went along, and I could understand why some folks walked out of it when it was first released, but I was glad I stuck it out for I eventually found it incredibly fulfilling. The first thing to enter my mind once it ended was the realisation that NOBODY was making films like that these days and on such a scale. I thought the accusations of pretension were very lazy. It's one of the most unique science fiction films ever, and certainly one of the bravest movies of the last few years. It splits opinion, of course, which is testament to its oddness. I'm sure you'll be surprised when you see The Wrestler. His first three films have a shared visual style, almost hyperrealistic, and the first two a similar editing rhythm, but The Wrestler doesn't have much in common with any of them. The visuals are more in line with kitchen-sink realism, drizzly and hand-held. I loved it!

am seeing The Wrestler later this week. just got back from Slumdog Millionaire. an excellent film. Danny Boyle's best imo. dizzying camera effects and amazing direction make the chase scenes brim with life. the story's sweet and personal, glad to see a crowd pleaser that's both gritty and real, but uplifting. one of the best films this year, but Gran Torino is still the most entertaining (watchable) for me. still need to see Milk, Frost/Nixon, Revolutionary Road, The Reader, The Wrestler. Benjamin Button, Slumdog, Torino, WALL-E, In Bruges. all great films.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul! I wanna getta lost in ya rock n' roll and drift away. Drift away...

I'm the guy the film reviewers often refer to. I genuinely only see one film a year because I tend to fall asleep halfway through. Well Slumdog looks like being my film for the year. Hoping to see it next week.
Saw it yesterday. Hated the first hour. Found it disjointed, violent and unpleasant. If I'd been watching at home, I'd have switched channels. But it comes good in the second half with a rousing, if slightly cheesy, climax. Overall I think it deserves its success.
Topic locked