Stroking Pussycats in The Big Issue

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Stroking Pussycats in The Big Issue

The Big Issue have kindly published one of my poems, 'Stroking Pussycats' in the Streetlights section of the magazine this week.
Please buy a copy and help the homeless. It's a great magazine and half of the cost price (£2.50) goes straight to the homeless vendor.
I was homeless for a while in 2009 (and emotionally homeless for decades!) It was the pits but one of the good things to come from my homelessness was that The Big Issue offered me a platform to publish stories and poems. I'm massively grateful to all the people who work there and on the streets selling the magazine.
Many thanks for reading this,
Richard

I will look out for the nice man outside M&S on my way to my charity shop shift on Friday Richard!

What bloody excellent news this is. I will absolutely buy one and this news has made my week.

Thanks Alison and Laurie. I'm pretty sure it was Emma at the Big Issue who first told me about Abctales so if I'd never written for them I don't think I'd have found Abc. I'm still gobsmacked by how literally everyone I tell about Abc hasn't heard of it. Utterly bewildering.

well done richard - will buy one as soon as I see someone selling them

Well done, Blighters, great to hear and I've just been lucky enough to read it for the first time. Hooray for the forum!
Good on you, Insert and Steve.

I too will look out for it and buy a copy to read your poem but also to support the people selling the Big Issue which I think is so worthwhile. Years ago I was in Manchester and there was thick snow and a homeless person was sitting down looking absolutely frozen. I gave him some money and the people I was with said 'He's probably got a Rolls Royce round the corner.' I said I hope he has because I can afford to lose that little bit of money if he's conning me but what if he isn't? I've always thought people use that kind of reasoning as an excuse not to give. Besides, who would sit out in the freezing cold if there was a choice. He'd be better off getting a job. Anyway, congratulations Blighters. Moya

new blightersrock Hi! rich,well done poem being in The big issue again,doing well. Not bought The big issue couple weeks. Couple my poems sent up to by staff then day centre,typed it all,most homeless or who! got paid. Bought The big issue for years. Very very interesting, I think my "Green Eyes" was in there. And "Crocodile-Tears" cut down,someone on hear AbcTales, asked re-do all went well. julie xx
Hi Moya and Julie, Thanks for your lovely comments. You're right; The Big Issue is all about the vendors, who are generally very decent people. They come under attack because they're easy targets, but also because alot of the people who pass them are also precariously unstable financially. Most of us are only three pay cheques awway from homelessness. Big love Richard

Good news Blighters, It was through the poems in the big issue that I found my way to abctales. It's a excellent magazine with quality articles and poems so no surprises your work was included.

Ouu, you're a beauty, Shoe.

Topic locked