The Importance of the Title

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Importance of the Title

How do you choose the right title for your book/poem? 

When you choose a book to read the first thing that hooks you in is the title, so it's really important to get it right when thinking of one for your own book. But, where do you start? Somehow you need to hint at the content of the story without giving too much away. It needs to make people stop and think and most importantly - want to read the book!

These are my thoughts, but I would really welcome your tips.

I currently have the working title of 'Gavin's Gadgets, Gizmo and Gravy' but feel that this isn't good enough. Other ideas are:

Saving the Gravy

Gravy Danger

Gavin's Gravy Adventure

Which one would hook you in?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thank you!

I'm sorry you've not received any feedback about ordering chapters. I wasn't sure of the answer there (although I had rest 99.999% of them) and I'm not sure here. Stupid is good for a book, but you can only get away with it if you're well known. So Grave-y Danger would obviously be my choice since it contradicts everything I've just said. 

Thank you...yes that one is my current favourite too! 

Hope you have a great Christmas.

Rachel

Hi Rachel. Just read your previous request, which caused me to delete my original post here. I don’t have any experience of writing or editing a novel, so can't really help with re-ordering of chapters. As for the title, I find the first ideas are often the best, particularly if they really hit you between the eyes. Is this a different story to the one linked to on your other post? If so, maybe a summary will trigger some ideas.

Parson Thru

Struggling for a title?  Extract a line from the text, that often does the trick.

Choose a few words off page 46. Saves agony and marketing angst.

I am often 'lazy' about my titles.  I usually end up with either the first line or a title that is the summary.  I don't suppose I have really considered using a 'hook'.

Thank you all for you suggestions. I am going to try out "In Gravy Danger!" and see if this works. 

Vera - I have just been editing the book again and have added in a sentence that included 'in Gravy Danger'. It was only afterwards that I noticed that this was on page 46!!!!

Happy New Year to you all,

Rachel