A son is home for Christmas by Yutka

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
A son is home for Christmas by Yutka

This says so much by saying so little. The use of the ordinary to express the inner self is, I think, a particularily British trait - and when it's done well, like here, it's very effective indeed:

http://www.abctales.com/story/yutka/a-son-is-home-for-christmas

I enjoyed this from a purely personal perspective. It is easy to relate to. Almost disturbingly resonant of what I perceive to many peoples trips home to feel like. Span
This wonderful poem by Yutka about the returning son for whom the fatted calf is slaughtered resonates with pain. About the space , virtually impossible to bridge, between parents and their children; and pain about the desolate relationship between the parents, not even really united in their love for the son. I don't know about it being British though. I know for a fact that Yutka, like me, is foreign. I think it is a universal poem about universal themes.
Thanks everybody for your thoughts and a special thanks to Tony for flagging me. I am very happy for your 'I think, a particularily British trait' ....I got it then, haven't I?

Topic locked